Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Salsa Vaya Frame Bag

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Salsa Vaya Frame Bag

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-13, 05:25 AM
bhcohen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Salsa Vaya Frame Bag

Hey Vaya Owners:

I'm looking for a frame bag to fit my 54 cm 2012 Salsa Vaya. I'm considering one of the Revelate Designs bags (Tangle) but am not sure about the size.

What brand/size bags do you have that fit your Vaya? What size Vaya?

Thanks in advance,
Bruce
Old 01-03-13, 06:00 AM
Richk

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Jamis ,,Cannondale 2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
No idea but how long have you had your Vaya? Did it take foever to get one or did you luck out and find one in stock? I ordered mine on 10/28 /12 was assuedvthat it will ship tomorrow 1/4/13 nice bike
Old 01-03-13, 06:09 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I have Revelate Tangle frame bag. The bag is sold in 3 sizes. The largest bag fits my size 60cm size Soma Double Cross easily. The Soma frame has a slightly sloping top-tube that is 604mm long. The headtube is also very tall. The bag is held along the top-tube and allows the use of two water bottles. The bottles fit well enough, but removal and re-installation require contact with the bag.

The bag is very well made. It should be very durable and highly water tight. zippers are on both sides and an internal panel divides left and right side pockets. I put tools and spares, including a large air pump on the left side and I store my wallet, phone, food and sunscreen on the right. The bag is secure and does not sway. Plenty of storage.

I would imagine that the bag might restrict the placement of water-bottles with smaller frames. But the bag is ideal for large frames with near horizontal top-tubes.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...=1&ProductID=5

Sizing:

Small : 15"-18" mountain bikes, or larger Aluminum frames. Some 4 bar full suspension.

52-56cm road / cross bikes

Top length 17", Height 4"

Medium - 17"-20" Mountain frames, 55-58cm road & cross bikes

Top length 19.5", Height 4.5", 1" of height at head tube.

Large - 20"+ steel mtn frames, 56cm- 62cm road & touring bikes.

Top length 21", height 6", 1.5" of length at the head tube.

I also have the Jandd Frame Bag.

The smaller size of the Jandd Frame bag and more moderate material quality make this bag more affordable. The bag looks durable and well made, I expect it to last many seasons.

https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FFP

The bag has good volume and can hold a large 14" hand pump. The bag offers enough space for personal items, phone, wallet, tools, spares and a few snacks.

The bag fits my 59cm size Cyclocross frame with room to spare. My bike has a 160mm headtube, the bag should also fit touring bikes with 140mm headtubes easily, but smaller bikes with short headtubes might not fit.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-03-13 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-03-13, 06:13 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
You might also consider the Nashbar frame bag

This is a nice low cost bag that will fit most bikes. The quality is good and mine have lasted many years. The bag is very secure. Space is also generous.

The bag does eliminate the seat-tube mounted water bottle. Here it is on a size 51cm Cyclocross bike.

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_167563_-1___

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-03-13, 06:20 AM
sirtirithon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be sure to check out Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks on Facebook. I have both a Revelate Designs framepack and Nuclear Sunrise framepack for my Fargo and even though the Revelate bag is the Salsa endorsed model for a size small Fargo the Nuclear Sunrise pack fits way better. I had to make a template and send him and he had both a seatbag and framepack to me within a week and a half. The quality is superb as well and they are waterproof vs. Water resistant like Revelates. Dont get me wrong both companies make fantastic bags, just sharing what my experience has been.
Old 01-03-13, 10:26 PM
bhcohen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Richk
No idea but how long have you had your Vaya? Did it take foever to get one or did you luck out and find one in stock? I ordered mine on 10/28 /12 was assuedvthat it will ship tomorrow 1/4/13 nice bike
I got my bike in May. None of the local bike shops had any in stock but I found a shop about an hour away that had a couple in different sizes so I drove there and spent the afternoon taking test rides. I've been using it as my commuter and "do anything" bike ever since.
Old 01-03-13, 10:31 PM
bhcohen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking at the Tangle bags initially since I've seen a lot of pictures here on BikeForums and they look like they fit nicely. I'll add the others to the list as well. I spent some time looking at the Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks website as well. Those bags look really nice though might be out of my price range
Old 01-04-13, 09:31 PM
Richk

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Jamis ,,Cannondale 2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just recieved an email its here picking up this Sunday . Test road a 55 they had loved it
Old 01-05-13, 05:10 AM
bhcohen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Richk
Just recieved an email its here picking up this Sunday . Test road a 55 they had loved it
Enjoy!
Old 01-23-15, 03:58 PM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
You might also consider the Nashbar frame bag

This is a nice low cost bag that will fit most bikes. The quality is good and mine have lasted many years. The bag is very secure. Space is also generous.

The bag does eliminate the seat-tube mounted water bottle. Here it is on a size 51cm Cyclocross bike.

Nashbar Exception Display Page

Awesome, bomb proof bag...too bad it's not available anymore. I bought brand new one on Ebay several years ago. Extremely happy with quality and the size. I can fit all I need , even for a long ride. Pump, snacks, cellphone, multitool, tube or two, patches, map and still have room to spare.
Old 01-26-15, 08:39 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
WTF?

Why are you bringing back a thread that is 3 years old, only to say the thread is out of date and the product not available?