Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I got wider tires and its more comfortable and I'm just as fast. Baloney!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I got wider tires and its more comfortable and I'm just as fast. Baloney!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-16, 09:01 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alathIN
You're the one who started the thread saying that wider tire / lower pressure people are full of CPAP. This puts the burden of proof on you.
No, I did not start this thread and I am not saying the "wider tire / lower pressure people are full of CPAP". Maybe you need to re read my posts neutrally. I am agreeing with several others on here just pointing out the complexity of the situation. It is impossible for a certain tire size and a certain pressure to always be best for all roads and all riders. It's also impossible that wider and lower pressure is best without giving a specific range. There are several variables at play, more than just tire size and pressure (like aero drag, surface roughness, rolling resistance, rider weight, etc). And no, I don't have a double blind peer reviewed study to back up this basic concept. But neither did any of the tests I read on the internet. I did however state in my first post in this thread that I plan on doing a lot more testing to validate my own results, probably next year. Of course the results will only be specific to me and it won't be a blind study, so YMMV.

I don't plan on riding track tires on a mountain bike, that kind of comment is when I roll my eyes . I do plan on continuing to ride road bikes with tires that I have ranging from 23mm to 1 3/8" depending on conditions though (at various pressures, I don't just use a certain pressure because I read it on the internet or someone told me too).
Old 09-16-16, 11:07 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Just to throw a wrench in this thread: I went from 700x38c tires to 650bx42 tires. They are just as fast, more comfortable, and they even climb better. I'm also 365lbs and could never imagine going back to skinny road tires at 120psi for now even if they are "faster".
Old 09-17-16, 05:16 AM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew
No, I did not start this thread and I am not saying the "wider tire / lower pressure people are full of CPAP". Maybe you need to re read my posts neutrally. I am agreeing with several others on here just pointing out the complexity of the situation. It is impossible for a certain tire size and a certain pressure to always be best for all roads and all riders. It's also impossible that wider and lower pressure is best without giving a specific range. There are several variables at play, more than just tire size and pressure (like aero drag, surface roughness, rolling resistance, rider weight, etc). And no, I don't have a double blind peer reviewed study to back up this basic concept. But neither did any of the tests I read on the internet. I did however state in my first post in this thread that I plan on doing a lot more testing to validate my own results, probably next year. Of course the results will only be specific to me and it won't be a blind study, so YMMV.

I don't plan on riding track tires on a mountain bike, that kind of comment is when I roll my eyes . I do plan on continuing to ride road bikes with tires that I have ranging from 23mm to 1 3/8" depending on conditions though (at various pressures, I don't just use a certain pressure because I read it on the internet or someone told me too).
Oops, mistaken identity.
I agree, it's a classic multivariate equation and you can't know the answer unless you know all the variables. I meant to be arguing with someone else.
Old 09-20-16, 07:48 AM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Way late to this one, and without a huge amount of data, but I built a gravel bike that was running 35c Schwalbe G-one tires, and I hit some PR's on the road on that bike. Not saying it was faster than my 23c tire roadie, as I have been getting in better shape, but it certainly wasn't slower.
Old 09-30-20, 08:32 PM
Daniel S

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Were they the same model of tire? Those that say their wider tires are just as fast do emphasize the point that you need to compare the same suppleness of the tire build. Just curious because I am going to try some 32mm next.
Old 10-01-20, 04:15 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Daniel S, you are new here, so you don't remember Inpd ..... he was a much-respected poster here. I am glad you resurrected this thread. i t is a nice reminder ot a member who has passed.

I cannot add much to the tire debate. I use 23s on half my bikes and 28s on the rest, but because I am a mega-clyde I run high pressure to avoid pinch flats. I can say I am just as fast on 28s as 23s, and the comfort difference is notable.

My question for others is .... why is bigger considered to be better? Are 32s or 38s really that much more comfortable on good pavement? I suppose if I rode a lot of bad chipseal, yes, I would want more air in the tires, but I ride decent pavement most of the time. On good pavement .... how much comfort can a person gain without sacrificing due to spongy tires?

By the way, some people were saying that with bigger tubes and much bigger tires, a rider was adding 12 ounces to a pound to the wheelset. That can make a real difference.

I did an experiment with my Fuji Sportif. The stock wheels were anchors, and the tires were very cheap treaded 28s--I guess for gravel? I swapped in some Vuelta wheels and Conti Supersports, cutting maybe half a pound, and the bike went from sluggish to tolerable. I then went to some no-name Chinese CF rims, dropping another few hundred grams, and the bike became positively lively.

Sure, once the thing got rolling, the wheel weight meant nothing ... but at every acceleration, whether from a stop of just from slowing a little, the bike initially felt like it was pushing through peanut butter. Now it feels as responsive as my Chinese Cervelo R5 clone, (which runs hard 23s by the way.)

(As an aside---I put an extra 10 pounds of air in the front tire last night and could definitely feel the difference---for the first five minutes. A tiny bit more chatter .... but after five minutes I forgot about it.)

Whatever. As I understand it, the deal with wider tires being just as fast was that energy loss through hysteresis was reduced---the hard tires tend to chatter over bumps, and with each bump momentarily lose traction, while the slightly softer tires deform slightly and transmit full power. This doesn't seem to scale up indefinitely---Obviously a fatbike with 5-inch tires running 5 psi won't be just as fast, so it is legitimate to wonder where the various lines---aero, weight, pressure, width---all cross on the chart.

Further, with tubeless options, riders can choose to run lower pressures safety, so i kind of wonder why people would need 38-mm tires on good roads. Maybe some placebo effect?

As with most things cycling, we can look at what the pros do---many run 25s or 28s and you Know they aren't sacrificing speed---and you can then say, "Who cares what the pros do?" Unless you are rising just for speed (which is another valid way to ride, of course) then it becomes a question of how much you care about what aspects of riding. Also, since every one of us rides a different bike on different roads, has different fitness goals and levels, and different riding styles, it is very hard to compare directly. One person's anecdotal info might be 100 percent accurate and also 100 percent irrelevant to another rider.

I tend to agree with @Machka from post #4---once you get past ~30 mm you might be into the overkill zone unless you ride really bad pavement or go off-road. I can't see why a person would need or gain much from going wider than a soft 32-mm tire on good pavement. I can see where there would be efficiency losses from going very soft or very wide (based on experience---which is anecdote, not data.)

The Final Conclusion? It is all subjective. You have to decide based on your riding preferences, your roads, your goals .... I'd say you would need to experiment a little and then report back.
Old 10-01-20, 06:45 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Def depends on your roads. They're pretty crappy here, plenty of guys go fast on skinny tires here, but you can hear/see them getting beat up. If I'm taking a hit on speed with my 32mm GP5000s, it's not very noticeable. What is noticeable for me is how smooth and comfortable the ride is while watching others get their fillings knocked out. Whatever works for you.
Old 10-01-20, 08:03 AM
Daniel S

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bigger will be better if I won’t have to change out my tires to go from a pure road ride to a mix terrain ride. I would just get some 38mm slicks.
I suppose I am just starry eyed by the claim from Rene Herse research saying there is no loss in speed from 28mm up to 54mm if you are running tires of the same construction.
I seem to have scored some advise on two separate threads, thanks folks!
Old 10-01-20, 11:15 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
I've seen a number of people write here saying they went from 25mm to 32 or even 35mm and have emphatically stated the ride is much more comfortable and they are just as fast.

To that I say baloney, BS, crapola etc.
Maybe you aren't faster with wider tires...

One thing I learned years ago is that what feels fast isn't necessarily fast. To me, rock-hard 23mm tires at 110 psi feel fast. Heck, I can feel when I run over an ant with those tires. When I changed from 23 to 25c tires years, it ago was like changing to mountain bike tires... I hated it at first as I felt like I was riding on marshmallows.

Fast forward to today, I now have a bike with 25mm wide rims and 700x32c tires. I thought I'd absolutely hate it. Instead, after over 2.5k miles on the wheels, "I'm a believer." (Note, I'm a believer in wide tires and wide rims, not just wide tires.)

On a track or on a ride with glass-smooth asphalt, skinny rock-hard tires might indeed be faster than wider tires. However, my reality is that the roads near me are constantly beat-up by the freeze-thaw cycle created by summer and winter. I'm lucky if I get to ride a section of smooth asphalt for more than a few miles. As a result, I physically feel very "beat-up" when riding hard, narrow tires for any distance. It is certainly hard to measure fatigue caused by a rigid bike and harsh roads. It's also hard to measure what happens when a tire bounces over bumps vs one that roles over them.

I'm fortunate in that my wide wheels (25mm rim width) and wide tires (700x32c) are very light and aero as I've ordered a custom set of carbon wheels. While hardly scientific, my average speeds this year while riding the same routes I always ride have been consistently faster than they've ever been... and I'm certainly not getting any younger! I've also noticed that when I'm done riding, I no longer feel "beat-up" like I used to. One of those factors has to be the tires as I'm now running around 60psi instead of the 100psi I used to run.

Sorry that your wide tire experiment didn't work for you, but given the right conditions, I still think wide rims and tires are worth a try.
Old 10-01-20, 11:21 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
To that I say baloney, BS, crapola etc.
Thanks for your in depth analysis, extensive data, and replicated study. If we didn't have this post, we'd just have to take the word of a bunch of engineers, coaches, and professionals who claim to have demonstrated benefits in controlled experiments studies, and races.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 10-01-20, 11:45 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Thanks for your in depth analysis, extensive data, and replicated study. If we didn't have this post, we'd just have to take the word of a bunch of engineers, coaches, and professionals who claim to have demonstrated benefits in controlled experiments studies, and races.
Don’t hold your breath waiting for him to respond.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 10-01-20, 04:08 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I ride all day on the road, on 700x32 tires. Because I can. Well, that, and because a lot of the roads out here are pretty close to riding off-road anyway.

Average speed for July, the entirety of the month on 700x28 Michelin Pro4 Endurance: 15.85mph
Average speed for August, the entirety of the month on 700x32 Maxxis ReFuse: 16.63mph

FTP test over exact same segment, with the 2 different tires, at the same power output:

TL;DR: Wider tires CAN be faster. Yours just aren't. Better tires are better. The rougher the roads you ride on, the wider your tires need to be. Most of my KOMs were achieved on the 700x32s.
as Wphamilton has pointed out in his reply, your cadence, power delivery, speed, are not the same in the 2 efforts. Althought the avg power over the 2 durations are the same, but there are lots of variances between the 2 efforts. And we know that... average power... doesn't always equal the same average speed when there is a lot of stochastic in power delivery.
Old 10-01-20, 04:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
The one thing I see a lot in this thread is that normal tires at normal pressures work well on reasonably good pavement, and wider, softer tires work better on bad pavement.

I am sure everyone else here is as shocked as I.

Next we'll be hearing that MTBs are faster on MTB trails than tri- or time-trial bikes.

We shall have to prepare ourselves for the inevitable shock.
Old 10-01-20, 06:00 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Man, this thread takes me back. I got two quotes of the same post four years apart essentially saying " power isn't power." Faith in BF renewed.

The bike from then died of a cracked chainstay a few years ago, I'm riding the replacement on 700x40s now... @ 58/65 for pavement. For fire roads? In the 40s. Like a cloud.
Old 10-01-20, 06:16 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
The OP passed away back in 2017.

Thread closed.