Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mirrors - Pros and cons?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mirrors - Pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 12:06 PM
dimini

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Well, I'm over 50 and had a C5-C6 disc bulge that was pretty harsh in my 30's. Eventally it calmed down, but I know how horrible neck pain can be. I was rock climbing a lot at the time, and couldn't look up. Think on that one.

Just to clarify, I am not anti-mirror, and I am pro-awareness. Fortunately, I am able to look around constantly, and I do. I want to know where absolutely everything on the road is. This includes road debris, small lizards, large trucks and people living out their New Mexico fantasy by riding their horse next to bike trails when they are 50 feet from a signed equestrian trail ("Just move here from California? How'd I guess?").

Albuquerque is a kick ass place to live. But riding here is not like the riding I've known in coastal areas. I won't detail it because I'm going on as it is, but we have the nation's highest DUI and cycling fatality rates, and the way the roads are built makes riding here a completely different matter. It's an unusual place - very low density, and 6 hours of 80mph driving from the next nearest big city (Denver).

I won't trust myself with a mirror. Hell, I won't trust traffic or myself in traffic, most places. I'm just not good enough to monitor a terrifying environment with a small reflective window. I can see that it would be awesome - but in my scary world, I need to know that truck is behind me with 30 seconds lead time, and move to a preposterously removed position on the shoulder.

Lest you think me alarmist, please note what I wrote above: prior to a disability, I frequently ice and rock climbed. Yes, trad leads - I don't scare easy. In the 'burbs of Boston, I used to ride Route 117, maybe some here know it. Small shoulder, irritated suburbanites driving too fast ... but I still felt a LOT safer there than on an empty state highway in (say) Madrid, NM.

I'd love to rock a mirror - but the general low level of skill and awareness of both drivers and other cyclists around here makes me go "wide screen," all the time.

I totally understand and agree with this perspective. I just began using a mirror a year ago and I do not trust my life or health with a 52mm diameter fisheye mirror. What I find with daily urban/suburban rides in traffic is that the USA-default automobile colors of dark silver and black are pretty invisible while viewed in a small mirror unless their headlights are on. I never trust just the mirror--but am grateful for having one more perspective while constantly scanning the scenes I'm cycling through.
Likes For dimini:
Old 09-28-20, 12:25 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Another vote for the Take a Look mirror. I use the small size mounted on the visor of my helmet (it won't work mounted on my Oakleys as the arms are too thick). I very much regret the dork look (MTB helmet with mirror riding out on the road) but I won't go out without the mirror. I also have a Garmin Varia Radar which, after about 9 months of use has proven very reliable and accurate.
Old 09-28-20, 12:55 PM
EthanBixby

Bikes: Paketa V2R tandem, Granite Tandem Design TI travel tandem, Lynskey R265, Specialized Diverge, and of course a unicycle

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have tried all types of mirrors, and what works for me and my bride are the RearViz mirrors from Australia. It attaches to your wrist with a velcro band, and is fully adjustable. It is very intuitive to use, and you can move your wrist if you want to check a different view. We are on our 2nd set after about 5 years of use. Highly recommended, but your results might be different. We purchased on Amazon, but now they also sell almost exact knock-offs and you can't get the original. But order direct from: https://www.rviactive.com/ And when you travel to some place that rides on the other side of the road, it's an easy swap to the other side. I use one mirror for 4 different bikes!
Old 09-28-20, 01:00 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
My Favorite one.

Old 09-28-20, 01:08 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
One drawback of mirrors, not a big one but still, is if it takes you an extra second to focus on the mirror and watch something strange going on you could miss a road hazard in front of you.

That's the biggest reason that handlebar mirrors on a drop bar just doesn't work for me. There is no way possible for the mirror to work both for the hoods and the drop position, without shifting my whole body. Craning my head. It takes extra time compared to my sunglass mirrors. I need to shift my head and focus so that takes extra time also, but not as much.
Good point. It was along these lines that I quickly gave up bifocal sunglasses on the bike (ie. to make seeing the garmin a bit easier).. the eye refocus time was too problematic for me.
Old 09-28-20, 01:08 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
One drawback of mirrors, not a big one but still, is if it takes you an extra second to focus on the mirror and watch something strange going on you could miss a road hazard in front of you.
This actually just happened to me yesterday. i looked down to the mirror and ran over something. no idea what it was, sounded like a piece of flat metal but could have been a crazed chain saw wielding maniac for all i know.
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-28-20, 01:24 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by msdumo
I am very tech savvy but why spend a lot of money (>$250) and have a device that relies on battery life, electronics and sensors to warn you of a dangerous situation when an inexpensive mirror with your focused attention would probably give you better results. Technology is great but it is not the answer to everything.
I rely on a mirror as my primary means of keeping track of what's going on behind me. However, there have been a few times where the Garmin Varia alerted me to a fast moving, quiet vehicle I would not have picked up until it was right on top of me. So my opinion is the mirror is essential, but the Varia is highly recommended if you can afford the cost.
Old 09-28-20, 01:34 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I saw a rear light with a camera that connects to a cell phone on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088RB82F5/

You'd have to do some research on what phone to get to be able to see the screen in sunlight...I think some of the high end phones (like a samsung note) do well with that nowadays, whereas entry level phones are lacking.

My problem with mirrors is they don't show everything...something on the road is always missing the field of view...I'd rather know that I can't see what's behind me than think I can and miss something important.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 09-28-20 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-28-20, 01:56 PM
Wes in Missouri

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Vigorelli, 2005 Bianchi Axis, 1988 Cannondale R600, 1992 Diamond Back Venture, 93 Cannondale r600,Trek 820, Cannondale Delta V 1000, 87 Cannondale M400

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 14 Posts

I tried many different mirrors but the ones I have liked best are these old ones from the early 90’s from Rhode Gear. They use a Velcro strap to mount them on the brake hoods. Very stable and still going strong after almost 30 years.
Edit: I had no idea I was sitting on a gold mine. I was just Looking online for these mirrors and They are going for $25 to $45 without the straps. I have 4 with the straps. Maybe I’ll be able to retire in the future.

Last edited by Wes in Missouri; 09-28-20 at 02:30 PM. Reason: New information
Likes For Wes in Missouri:
Old 09-28-20, 02:21 PM
sacr

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hedonist222
I tried something like these, but the rubber mounting straps just don’t work for mirrors, they allow the mirror to vibrate. Yet to find solution myself, bar ends are not the go when one has bar end shifters, and everything else just looks too flimsy to stay rigid enough. I don’t really care if it weighs a pound of more, as long as there is a rigid connection to the handlebars.
Old 09-28-20, 02:51 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I tried a couple but never got the hang of it- seemed distracting and you have to look anyway.

I do appreciate folks who have them on a group ride- they call out approaching cars, and know when you are overtaking them.

One that hasn't been mentioned has an velcro arm band and flip up mirror that you put on your wrist or arm. Also didn't work for me.
Old 09-28-20, 04:50 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Being a 70 yr old senior I find it difficult to turn my head and check for traffic especially on my road bike when on the down bars.
I've tried bar end mirrors on my hybrid and road but found they vibrate and the position is not ideal. Not a good look on the bike and I have 4 bikes.
The other bar clamp type mirrors were worse. The vibration is just to great. Become a problem when you need to do tlc on the bike.

I have used a round mirror on my helmet. Takes a while to get used to and the mirrors are quite small but work okay.
Works better on my hybrid because of more erect seat position.
Have a mirror that clips to glasses. It is a wider, somewhat rectangular, giving a broader view of traffic. I like this one better than the helmet round mirror. It is a little extra weight on the glasses but not a problem.
Still get some vibrations and the location of the mirror when on the down bars on the road bike causes my shoulder to blocks part of the view. I need to raise my neck and shoulders by lifting one hand of the handlebar to make it work. Still better than no mirror but takes an effort.

So I'm open to any suggestions. What works for you?
I wish I had a suggestion. I've tried a bunch of different kinds, and never liked any of them, and gave up on them.
I do wish there was one that worked better (at least for me, some people swear by kinds they use).
Old 09-28-20, 05:01 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
I have never used a mirror, and am curious to hear from people as to what benefits they get looking behind them? (Not saying I don't turn and look sometimes, I do). I just figure that all I'd get from it is seeing the truck actually hit me, vs. a quick and peaceful end? How does what you see change what you're doing?
Gosh I don't don't know. Have you ever been riding on the right side of a road, and then wanted to turn left, one or two lanes over? You COULD just charge ahead, hoping for the best. Or you can look. Or look in a mirror (just a thought).
Old 09-28-20, 05:19 PM
thejohnreyes

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I can't bring myself to put mirrors on my bikes, but I haven't been run over yet. I will either learn the hard way or have the hard way learn me into the ground.
Old 09-28-20, 05:46 PM
b_d

Bikes: Cinelli 1964 SC, Cinelli 1965 Chrome Track, 2012 IF Ti Cross with S&S, 2004 Rivendell, 2009 Tiwan Ti with S&S Couplers,

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll second the Take A Look compact mirror.

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
It doesn't matter if you can turn your head to look, a proper mirror is much quicker, offering more timely info which can be helpful in many situations.

Third Eye on my helmet for me. I also have an eyeglass mounted model of unknown brand that works even better because it is larger... for when I'm not wearing a helmet.

I'll second the Take A Look compact mirror. I find it a bit easier to adjust compared to the original model. I don't leave home without it.
Old 09-28-20, 06:20 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 143 Posts
I'll ride without a helmet and without gloves before I ride without a mirror. It's the most important piece of safety equipment for me.

I fully agree with this:
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
It allows me to more easily and accurately monitor overtaking traffic so I can ride in what I feel is a safer manner.

I like to default to a position in the lane. Cleaner pavement, better sight lines. If someone approaches from behind, and it is safe and reasonable to share the lane, I can then drift right[..]
Out on the Michigan two lane roads without shoulder, it is essential to watch traffic coming up to see if they've noticed me. Just as described above, if they're reacting to me, great, we're no the same page.
If they're not, I can weave and wobble a little, which so far has always gotten their attention. Before they hit me, I may have a chance to get in the ditch.

I'm rather nearsighted and my glasses get too thick if they're large. GIven the size lenses I'm wearing, I have to turn my head waaay around to see behind me. Before I do that, I want to make sure there's nobody right on my tail, so the mirror really helps. And with my glasses, helmet mirrors don't work well.

The best mirrors are the old Myrricle ones that attach to non-aero brake levers. They're very sturdy that way. They're slightly convex, and the field of view is just about right.
https://www.mirrycle.com/wp-content/...mirror-rev.jpg

I've mounted them on aero levers, but it takes a certain amount of futzing, and they're easily broken.
If y'all are interested, I can post some pictures.

The same folks make a mirror that attaches to Shimano brifters, I have those on my road bike and they work quite well.

The last few years, I 've been relying on this:
https://www.rivbike.com/products/german-mirror
It is sturdy, doesn't vibrate, isn't too much in the way for riding in the drops,but is too convex for my taste, so it takes some getting used to. I'm happy to have it, though.

Bar end mirrors are not as good; too far away to keep my peripheral vision on the road ahead. Much better than nothing, though.

Must. Have. Mirror.

cheers -mathias
Old 09-28-20, 07:00 PM
James1019

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am looking at buying a mirror now thanks to this discussion.
Old 09-28-20, 07:20 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I just installed an Italian Road Bike Mirror. If you like bar end mirrors, the glass mirror on this one gives a much cleaner image than the plastic lenses.
Old 09-28-20, 07:46 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
Being a 70 yr old senior I find it difficult to turn my head and check for traffic especially on my road bike when on the down bars.
I've tried bar end mirrors on my hybrid and road but found they vibrate and the position is not ideal. Not a good look on the bike and I have 4 bikes.
The other bar clamp type mirrors were worse. The vibration is just to great. Become a problem when you need to do tlc on the bike.

I have used a round mirror on my helmet. Takes a while to get used to and the mirrors are quite small but work okay.
Works better on my hybrid because of more erect seat position.
Have a mirror that clips to glasses. It is a wider, somewhat rectangular, giving a broader view of traffic. I like this one better than the helmet round mirror. It is a little extra weight on the glasses but not a problem.
Still get some vibrations and the location of the mirror when on the down bars on the road bike causes my shoulder to blocks part of the view. I need to raise my neck and shoulders by lifting one hand of the handlebar to make it work. Still better than no mirror but takes an effort.

So I'm open to any suggestions. What works for you?
I just use one of these mirrors, which I can get from my LBS. https://www.amazon.com/Mirrycle-Moun.../dp/B07Z4VQFNB

I don't have a problem turning my head, but that doesn't matter, since I ride a lot in heavy traffic and need to always be checking behind me for cars wanting to make a right turn or if I need to change lanes for a turn or take the lane for numerous reasons. And I use the mirror for so many other things... I don't like putting total trust in people driving around in killing machines, when things are happening fast, you don't have time to listen up for a car behind you, much less look behind you.

That's the positive, but for the negatives. Yes the mirror does shake a little, but not much at least on the roads I ride on. However, if I'm on a road where there is some rattling of the mirror, I just remind myself I'm only looking for something coming up from behind me. I don't get distracted by trying to see it clearly, just look for something and use that information for whatever the situation requires. That's the worst thing about a rattling mirror, we want to see a clear image, but you can't always expect a clear image, don't get distracted by a non-perfect image.

Secondly, don't get distracted by what's in your mirror. This is a reason many say they don't use a mirror, because it's a distraction. And they're correct. However, that's true with a lot of things, especially here in Florida where there are tons of scantily-cladded women A mirror is a tool, just like a hammer - learn to use it properly. You don't avoid using a hammer, because you can smash your fingers. My eyes are darting all around when I'm riding a bike and I'm always looking into the mirror. It's now second nature, so it's not an issue for me.

Lastly, objects in a mirror are closer than they appear. This is true with all mirrors, but it's especially true on a bike, because the cars are usually moving at a far quicker pace than us. Don't ever tell yourself that a car is way back there and forget about them; they come up very quickly sometimes.

Old 09-29-20, 09:17 AM
2wheelwreck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my elcheapo (and admittedly ugly) Canadian Tire mirror. The exact #073-4218-6 posted by xroadcharlie.

To keep it snug and stop it from rotating on the handlebar I've wrapped a section of old inner-tube around the bar before slipping the clamp over it. This also protects the handlebar finish from the edges of the clamp. Didn't do this on a previous bar which ended up badly scored and the slightest press on the mirror post would shift it around the bar.

If there's a right handed version I might even add one of those and really up the ugly ante.

I've never tried the clip to helmet types but given my eyes delay of refocusing close/far would probably find them impossible to tolerate. I know that's not a problem for most but that's not a problem with the CT mirror.

As a motorcyclist for more years than I'd care to admit I couldn't ride a bike without mirrors. Be like riding naked. So many co-riders put small bar end mirrors or worse stripped mirrors off their machines altogether for that 'cool cafe / racer wannabe' look. Somewhere I've got 4 different bicycle versions around. They were barely adequate but did a great job of showing elbows.

I envy those who can use them but they were just not for me.

And I also have arthritis in my neck (C3 – C5?). The post mirror requires less head motion = no pain.
Old 09-29-20, 09:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
On bents and trikes like I have a mirror is almost mandatory, at least one, and two is better. I use the mirrcycle round mirrors on the ends of my handlebars, and they work really well.
Old 09-29-20, 09:26 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I just installed an Italian Road Bike Mirror. If you like bar end mirrors, the glass mirror on this one gives a much cleaner image than the plastic lenses.
Yep, that's what I used to use. Key is getting it dialed in to your position. Superb quality glass and FOV.
Old 09-29-20, 10:04 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheelwreck
I've never tried the clip to helmet types but given my eyes delay of refocusing close/far would probably find them impossible to tolerate. I know that's not a problem for most but that's not a problem with the CT mirror.
This is not a problem because you are focusing on objects in the distance behind you, not on the mirror itself that is only inches away. No refocus is necessary.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 09-29-20, 11:10 AM
solman06

Bikes: Cannondale ST 700, Cannondale SR 300, Tomasso Road Bike, Mallarte (Look) Titanium road Bike, ATP Vision Recumbent, Scarab Recumbent Trike, Scott Mountain Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cateye BM-45. Good bar end mirror. Small, unobtrusive, stays in place and gives me a good view of what's coming up behind me. I couple this with Garmin's RT-510 radar taillight.
Old 09-30-20, 04:24 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
Gosh I don't don't know. Have you ever been riding on the right side of a road, and then wanted to turn left, one or two lanes over? You COULD just charge ahead, hoping for the best. Or you can look. Or look in a mirror (just a thought).
I haven't been turning left across mutliple lanes, no.

Mostly, just hanging out on the internet, posting false dichotomies to feel good about how superior I am.

See what I did there?
Likes For Danhedonia:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.