Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you get enough protein?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How do you get enough protein?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-20, 04:32 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Soy and gluten are in a lot of things, it is silly to vilify. I think people love to be trendy and hating gluten is a popular one. I don't know why people are so scared of it?
It's mostly guys that are scared of soy. They think that eating soy will turn them into women.
Old 10-16-20, 04:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
One of the best meals I have ever eaten out is veal kidneys in a Dijon cream sauce in Brussels. Had them twice during my 4 nights there. That was in ‘85. I found a recipe on line several years ago and made them twice. Good, but it didn’t measure up.
Dad used to do stewed kidneys with mushrooms and sherry for special breakfasts. All my siblings and I get misty eyed talking about those breakfasts.....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-16-20, 04:35 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
bacon, plenty of bacon. pecan wood smoked bacon & homemade; peanut or cashew butter with more bacon. Worth every calorie.
Old 10-16-20, 04:39 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's mostly guys that are scared of soy. They think that eating soy will turn them into women.
if it gave me female type boobs, i'd have less time for cycling. Since soy impacts hormones/testosterone balance, I can understand why some males are not a fan of soy products.
Old 10-16-20, 04:56 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
The same way humans go protein the last million years....
Old 10-16-20, 04:58 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
from HDMI?
Old 10-16-20, 05:15 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
If you really need more protein, Soylent Green is a great option.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-16-20, 05:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
I even try to eat well on tour. Pre-cooked chicken sausage (I kept it cold in a creek by my campsite) with fresh garlic, red onion, Aleppo pepper flakes, canned sauce and fresh spinach, all over penne.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-16-20, 05:21 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
I feed my kids new york strip or tri tip steak as much as possible. That usually turns out to be 1-2 breakfasts per week. I eat whatever they don't eat, which is starting to get less and less.
Old 10-16-20, 07:24 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
All endurance sports require a regular intake of protein for muscle and general health. What do you eat to make sure you are getting enough?

real food! Don’t waste your money on whey protein, instead buy powder peanut butter (Organic PBFit).
Old 10-16-20, 07:45 PM
indyfabz

The other white meat.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-16-20, 07:47 PM
indyfabz

Wooly Mammoth burgers!
Old 10-16-20, 07:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
That is usually the case. I think it is a lot of machismo. I know plenty of people who are guys who eat tons of soy and have for 20-30 years and still are guys.
Old 10-16-20, 07:56 PM
gwuwu

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garden of Life Meal Replacement mixes are pretty good.
Old 10-16-20, 08:11 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Another long-time vegetarian here in the peak of health.

Eat lentils and bread: your body has every thing it needs to produce its own proteins. Eat fruits and green leaf veggies. No probs, no suffering (your's or others), gross environmental impact of growing meat decreases, food can be grown for people and not slaughter animals, famines can be lessened, hot-house gasses reduced....

A well balanced plant based diet creates the one wealth no one can take away, your health
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 10-16-20, 08:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The other white meat.

I see capers - is this like Piccata? Lemon, capers, some white wine?

EDIT: I'm sitting here wishing for a piece of bread dipped in that sauce, if not an actual chop.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-16-20, 08:50 PM
Cacti

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
It depends on your activities, what you're trying to accomplish, and what kind of protein, and what your other macros are. If you're looking to bulk and/or build muscle, you generally want 1 gram of protein per pound of ideal body weight. Most people don't need nearly this much, however and 1/2 gram is more than enough
Old 10-16-20, 10:27 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Another long-time vegetarian here in the peak of health.

Eat lentils and bread: your body has every thing it needs to produce its own proteins. Eat fruits and green leaf veggies. No probs, no suffering (your's or others), gross environmental impact of growing meat decreases, food can be grown for people and not slaughter animals, famines can be lessened, hot-house gasses reduced....

A well balanced plant based diet creates the one wealth no one can take away, your health
Humans can't synthesize protein. We need to eat it. We can synthesize carbs from protein, but not the other way around.
Old 10-16-20, 10:30 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Humans can't synthesize protein. We need to eat it. We can synthesize carbs from protein, but not the other way around.
I think he’s talking about Lentils and Bread
Old 10-16-20, 11:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A couple of years ago I was on a mostly liquid and soft diet for nearly a year due to a constricted and distorted esophagus and trachea (fixed after thyroid surgery to remove a calcified malignant tumor). Swallowing solid food ranged from uncomfortable to impossible until a few months after surgery.

So I mostly used a lot of whey and vegan protein supplements, and soups with ground meat or very tender beef or chicken.

Since then I'm back on a normal diet. A lot more meat. Agrees more with my digestion than legumes, and seems to help offset a longtime problem with low vitamin D, calcium and iron. Apparently oxylates in some vegetables including spinach can interfere with metabolizing other nutrients. So I've cut way back on a lot of veggies and other foods I used to eat. Between thyroid supplements, calcium, vitamin D, iron, etc., I have to time my intake fairly carefully to be sure everything is being used as efficiently as possible.

I still have protein powders but use far less now, maybe 10-20 gm mixed with milk and cold coffee, mostly to make other powdered supplements palatable. Unless the protein powder already has it, I'll add creatine, citrulline, niacin and other powders for pre- and post-workout drinks. Some protein powders have all that stuff, which helps.
Old 10-17-20, 12:41 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I can usually judge my protein level by how many posts in a thread I can read. If I can’t make it past 50, I know I need more protein. On days when I’m feeling particularly strong I can breeze through a century long thread.

But on my worst days, I need a SAG wagon to take me back to the original post. When that happens I usually only read every 3 or 4 words. Ironically it sometimes improves a thread.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-17-20, 12:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

You do understand that DNA is actually just a set of instructions for cellular protein synthesis, right? Our bodies synthesize a huge number of proteins from amino acids. You're right that we can't do that from carbs, but you make a wild overstatement.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-17-20, 01:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
A couple of years ago I was on a mostly liquid and soft diet for nearly a year due to a constricted and distorted esophagus and trachea (fixed after thyroid surgery to remove a calcified malignant tumor). Swallowing solid food ranged from uncomfortable to impossible until a few months after surgery.

So I mostly used a lot of whey and vegan protein supplements, and soups with ground meat or very tender beef or chicken.

Since then I'm back on a normal diet. A lot more meat. Agrees more with my digestion than legumes, and seems to help offset a longtime problem with low vitamin D, calcium and iron. Apparently oxylates in some vegetables including spinach can interfere with metabolizing other nutrients. So I've cut way back on a lot of veggies and other foods I used to eat. Between thyroid supplements, calcium, vitamin D, iron, etc., I have to time my intake fairly carefully to be sure everything is being used as efficiently as possible.

I still have protein powders but use far less now, maybe 10-20 gm mixed with milk and cold coffee, mostly to make other powdered supplements palatable. Unless the protein powder already has it, I'll add creatine, citrulline, niacin and other powders for pre- and post-workout drinks. Some protein powders have all that stuff, which helps.

People with feeding issues are one of the few groups where all the medical authorities universally recommend supplements.
Sounds like a really tough time, glad to hear how well you're doing now.
Old 10-17-20, 05:57 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by genejockey
I see capers - is this like Piccata? Lemon, capers, some white wine?

EDIT: I'm sitting here wishing for a piece of bread dipped in that sauce, if not an actual chop.
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/m...NHMmdOU2M3OXM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-17-20, 06:09 AM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You do understand that DNA is actually just a set of instructions for cellular protein synthesis, right? Our bodies synthesize a huge number of proteins from amino acids. You're right that we can't do that from carbs, but you make a wild overstatement.
He said he can produce his own protein.
We can recombine protein from amino acids from protein. But the protein has to be ingested to begin with. Even the animals we eat got all the protein from the plants they ate. Plants produce protein. Very little, that's why a cow eats a huge amount all day long. The animals we eat basically just concentrated the protein, didn't make it.

If you only eat food with little protein, you won't have enough. We don't produce protein.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.