Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

fake online and physical store?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

fake online and physical store?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 08:35 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
They’ve already contacted me. After assuring me how much they care about fraud prevention they basically just say “you can dispute your card.”

I explained that I had not purchased anything but that I was reporting a scam site. It was a waste of time but I thought I’d give it a shot.
Okay, but their response regarding time was when they would contact you. That doesn't mean they won't be looking into the store to check it out. As for their response to you, what else could they say to you? You were not scammed, therefor they cannot help you, for you need no help. As for saying you could dispute your charge, that is the remedy you would have, if you were actually scammed. The platform unfortunately could not help in that case, they do not have power to refund your money, the store does. If it went further than that, they may be held to some liability, but the first step would be exactly what they said, contest the charge, and get it reversed.
Old 10-19-20, 08:51 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Did the op disappear? lol
Old 10-19-20, 09:17 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Okay, but their response regarding time was when they would contact you. That doesn't mean they won't be looking into the store to check it out. As for their response to you, what else could they say to you? You were not scammed, therefor they cannot help you, for you need no help. As for saying you could dispute your charge, that is the remedy you would have, if you were actually scammed. The platform unfortunately could not help in that case, they do not have power to refund your money, the store does. If it went further than that, they may be held to some liability, but the first step would be exactly what they said, contest the charge, and get it reversed.
I’m not sure why you think I lack understanding of the situation. I never told them I was defrauded. I simply used their link to report a scam. What they do with the information and when, if ever they do it is up to them.

I suspect they won’t do much, but I could be wrong.
Old 10-19-20, 09:28 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by KenCT
From their refund policy: "If your return is accepted, we’ll send you instructions on how and where to send your package to our International Distribution Centre in China. "

Good luck with that return.

It then goes on to discuss that they don't accept returns for food, flowers, plants, personal care items or hazardous materials. Which is good as they don't seem to sell those items.

The photo of their "shop" appears to be a bike shop in metro Denver. https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ver-bike-shops
good find, how did you link the picture?
Old 10-19-20, 09:37 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I’m not sure why you think I lack understanding of the situation. I never told them I was defrauded. I simply used their link to report a scam. What they do with the information and when, if ever they do it is up to them.

I suspect they won’t do much, but I could be wrong.
I just answered based on what you said. You answered back sounding like you still think they owed you something else, they don't, their response was regarding the time it would take to get back to you, they did. They are under no obligation to give you any more information than they did. In fact, they probably legally cannot. They have contracts with the, most likely, fraudulent company, and will have to deal with it through their own company policy and procedure. That doesn't include you.

If it is fraudulent, and it very likely is, they certainly don't have a location in Clear Lake at the address they show, I hope it is taken down quickly, or at least rendered inoperative. They actually may deliver goods for money they take in. At those prices though, the goods shipped would be counterfeit, at best. Perhaps more should report the site. Of course without actually being scammed, it is difficult to get a company to act.

And ugh... I just went to Shopify, and they really don't make it easy to contact them.

Last edited by phughes; 10-19-20 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-19-20, 10:14 PM
phughes

We shall see what kind of backlash I get. I just posted a picture of the Century 21 office and tagged green1stbike on instagram. They have amassed 3518 followers since their first post October 1.

Old 10-19-20, 11:13 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Well, one could call the business next door, Unique Boutique and ask who is next door to them. Or call the local Chamber of Commerce. However, even if they confirm a bike shop is there, I would give it a pass based upon the shop photo alone. Let someone else take the risk.

Note their shipping policy has this "Legal Disclaimer: In the unlikely instance of postage or customs delays, please allow an additional 2-3 days should this occur." Is that for outgoing or incoming?
Old 10-20-20, 04:36 AM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
good find, how did you link the picture?
I cropped it from their web site and used Google image search. Google image search and https://tineye.com/ can do a decent job finding pictures already on the web.
Old 10-20-20, 09:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by eugenius
I recently found this site green1stbike.com on the internet. they have radon 10 for sale at half the price compared to the price in Europe. I chatted with them and they said that they only sell original bicycles and that they have good prices because they opened recently. What surprised me was the fact that it ships for free in Europe with DHL. This made me think it was a fake store. They also have an open physical store. Is there anyone in the area who visited this store, does it really exist at that address?417 Main Avenue
Clear Lake, IA, US

Mon - Fri, 10am - 9pm
Saturday, 11am - 9pm
Sunday, 11am - 5pm

I still can't get past the claim that OP "chatted with them". Looking over the site and its utter lack of real contact information, I don't see how that is possible.

If the attempt here is to promote the website, this is a really weird strategy, but I think at this point, that's the most likely explanation for the OP's one and done.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-20-20, 09:54 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by KenCT
I cropped it from their web site and used Google image search. Google image search and https://tineye.com/ can do a decent job finding pictures already on the web.
that’s good info. I actually emailed the company from Colorado and advised them someone is using their shop picture for their website.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 10-20-20, 10:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Where they lifted the picture from is hilarious:

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ver-bike-shops
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-20-20, 10:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
They have amassed 3518 followers since their first post October 1.
Wonder how many fell victim to whatever their scam is.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-20-20, 11:04 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I still can't get past the claim that OP "chatted with them". Looking over the site and its utter lack of real contact information, I don't see how that is possible.

If the attempt here is to promote the website, this is a really weird strategy, but I think at this point, that's the most likely explanation for the OP's one and done.
I’d wondered the same. Then I noticed they have Jivochat embedded in the page source. I’m guessing that’s what the OP was referencing.
Old 10-20-20, 11:11 AM
phughes

I commented on their most current Instagram post.

Likes For phughes:
Old 10-20-20, 11:12 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Wonder how many fell victim to whatever their scam is.
Well, the website is a functioning Shopify storefront, so they can take orders and money. It also seems as if they accept Amazon Pay. I just went to the site, put a bike in the cart, and went to checkout. I didn't complete the purchase though. It all seemed to function, and the option to use Amazon Pay was shown.
Old 10-20-20, 12:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I emailed a link to the site to one of the realtors at that address.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-20-20, 02:06 PM
phughes

I tagged Trek and Cannondale in my post about them on Instagram.
Old 10-20-20, 04:09 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

I tagged Trek and Cannondale in my post about them on Instagram.
the company from Colorado who’s picture of their shop is on their website said they have turned them in to Treks legal department. Hope they put these guys away before someone gets scammed. They are taking advantage of the market demands.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 10-20-20, 07:01 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
the company from Colorado who’s picture of their shop is on their website said they have turned them in to Treks legal department. Hope they put these guys away before someone gets scammed. They are taking advantage of the market demands.
If you want to know the truth the scammers are probably operating from somewhere outside the U.S., so the chances of them being "put away" are probably nil.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-22-20, 05:03 AM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
While I am not that familiar with Clear Lake, about an hour and a half from me, I can tell you that the market there will not support a shop selling that many big name brands.
Old 12-14-20, 09:51 AM
MattTheHat 

By way of update, it appears the site has now been taken down. I quit checking on it after about 10 days. Hopefully Shopify took it down before anyone got defrauded.

Last edited by MattTheHat; 12-14-20 at 01:28 PM.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 12-14-20, 02:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
This was a really odd thread. The OP's initial comments were confusing and conflicting, never responded, and the 'store' was so clearly fake that this all couldnt have been an attempt to promote a scam.
I wonder what the point of all of it was, but it did create some interesting discussion and internet sleuthing.