Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rehab pedals - Help!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rehab pedals - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 10:38 AM
boggy

Bikes: 2018 Electra Townie Commute GO! 8i, 2019 Electra Townie GO! 7d, 2023 Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Rehab pedals - Help!

I had my left leg broken between knee and ankle about 4 months ago - both tibia and fibula. I have titanium rod running through tibia, and at this point in time I can already pedal somewhat OK. It's getting off Shimano Ultegra PD-6700 pedal that I can not do at all. I adjusted tension to bare minimum, and my leg still can't handle torsional movement required to free the cleat. It hurts like hell, and what's even worse - it hurts for a day or two after even trying. I can free the foot manually using hands, but somehow I think it would be a really bad idea to ride like that.

Short of putting those ugly cages on my beautiful Fuji SST, is there anything you guys can suggest that would not require torsional movement from by battered leg?
Old 07-09-12, 12:53 PM
Jfitalia

Bikes: Tarmac Apex

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok well When I broke my tibia during a soccer match it took me about 6 months. Is it the pain that is preventing you from clipping out? When I ended up changing was the foot I clip out first. I would always clip out using my right foot but after I broke my right leg I now clip out using my left. I have more flex in my left ankle and its easier to clip out. Once I have a foot on the ground I can use my weight to pop out my right. Over the last few years its gotten stronger and I can pop my right out in an emergency.
Old 07-09-12, 01:02 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
You really need to heal. Get the rat traps and forget aesthetics until you are strong enough. Or you could could insist on inflicting more damage and frame your pretty bike so you can admire it while it is hanging on the wall because you can no longer ride. Your choice.
Old 07-09-12, 01:17 PM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah I'm no doc but if it hurts that much you shouldn't be doing it. I'd do pedals with toe clips.
Old 07-09-12, 01:22 PM
JustinNY

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol...the 41 has people so brainwashed that they're willing to sacrifice their health to maintain their image
Old 07-09-12, 01:34 PM
zaqwert6
New but not Noob

Bikes: Madone Litespeed Paramount Colnago

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IDk , if you can't stomach some basic platforms....

Speedplays , at least the X1s I run , take like no force at all to clip out as long as you can rotate at all.
Old 07-09-12, 01:34 PM
zaqwert6
New but not Noob

Bikes: Madone Litespeed Paramount Colnago

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinNY
lol...the 41 has people so brainwashed that they're willing to sacrifice their health to maintain their image
What good is a healthy bad image?
Old 07-09-12, 06:16 PM
boggy

Bikes: 2018 Electra Townie Commute GO! 8i, 2019 Electra Townie GO! 7d, 2023 Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad Speed

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zaqwert6

Speedplays , at least the X1s I run , take like no force at all to clip out as long as you can rotate at all.
I can rotate... Never tried speedplays, so you are saying speedplay does not require much force to get off pedal? Shimano requires 10lbs torsional force or so to get out of, and that hurts my tibia bad...
Old 07-09-12, 11:52 PM
Hapsmo911

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by zaqwert6

X1's or X2's are super easy to unclip. They are prob the easiest pedals to unclip. You can get zero's and swap the springs with LA cleats. Prob close to the X1 release and you can adjust the unclip point.
Old 07-10-12, 01:27 AM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boggy
I can rotate... Never tried speedplays, so you are saying speedplay does not require much force to get off pedal? Shimano requires 10lbs torsional force or so to get out of, and that hurts my tibia bad...
Speedplay Light Action (hence the name) have the least amount of force required for a Speedplay pedal. I personally prefer Zero's though.
Old 07-10-12, 01:55 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had a severe tibial plateau fracture in 2009. The pain didn't go away for a year. I was on morphine for almost 6 months. My knee is still screwed up. Bone pain from a fracture lasts a long, long time. You may need use traditional clips until it is fully healed. That pain is telling you that the bone hasn't fully knitted up. Better to take it easy and give it time to heal.
Old 07-10-12, 02:11 PM
pihb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use flat pedals. sure they suck and they aren't the best. You are still healing and need to make sure you can escape if needed
Old 07-10-12, 02:22 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Speedplay Frog mountain bike pedals take no force to get out of. A lot easier than the Light Actions, even. (I've used both.) You do need to use MTB shoes, though, I think.

Good luck with your healing!
Old 07-10-12, 02:31 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Platforms and/or toeclips... Why try to take one step forwards and two step backwards? Work hard on rehab and recovery now so you can enjoy your riding to the max sooner rather than limping around an extended period... Good luck and best wishes!
Old 07-10-12, 02:35 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I'd use studded platforms. I have them on my home built commuter/touring bike and honestly lose little at all to the Looks on my Tarmac. Very little.
Old 07-10-12, 03:05 PM
ddimick

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Ultegra, 2010 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This might be too obvious to mention, but ensure your leg is extended as far as possible at the bottom of the stroke before trying to disengage. It's a hell of a lot easier to do at the crank bottom than it is at the top.
Old 07-10-12, 04:14 PM
boggy

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ddimick
This might be too obvious to mention, but ensure your leg is extended as far as possible at the bottom of the stroke before trying to disengage. It's a hell of a lot easier to do at the crank bottom than it is at the top.
Tried everything. Straight or not, my bone can't handle the force it takes to spring out of Ultegra PD-6700. Once I start twisting my leg counter-clockwise to spring out of pedal, I get pain at the point where bone broke that grows worse the more force is applied.

I am going to go to LBS this Friday and try Speedplay X1 pedal. From what people are saying it does not require application of force to spring out of pedal.

P.S. Boy am I glad I did not listen to "Get the rat traps and forget aesthetics" advice posted in this thread.

Last edited by boggy; 07-23-12 at 09:51 PM.