Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

New guy Old bike

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

New guy Old bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-20, 07:22 PM
MediocreMatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts
New guy Old bike

Hello everybody!

I inherited my fathers 1993 Trek 2200 Composite a few years back with all original parts. I live in the bay area. I consider myself an amateur/casual rider. Mostly flatland, local bike paths, averaging 20-25 miles per ride, nothing too serious. I enjoy this hobby very much its become part of my routine exercise. However, my bikes shifters have recently taken a turn and will no longer shift anymore. I went through youtube videos on tuning cables and derailleurs, but i've come to the conclusion its the shifters that arent working properly.(i never serviced anything) Anyways, I figured this is the perfect opportunity to join a forum to further my knowledge and bathe in the infinite wisdom of the internet. Looking forward to engaging in the community and asking questions.
Old 05-25-20, 09:43 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Old 05-25-20, 04:09 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Welcome from the Bay too! I'm assuming your bike is equipped with brifters (brake and shifter combined) ? It could probably just be some dirt build up inside. If not, then you may have to buy some replacements.
Old 05-26-20, 12:20 AM
MediocreMatt

Originally Posted by Rage
Welcome aboard!
Thank you! Glad to be here!
Old 05-26-20, 07:28 AM
Dave9040

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello and welcome from Indiana! Hope you can get the bike working and back on the road.
Old 05-26-20, 11:21 AM
MediocreMatt

Originally Posted by 2cam16
Welcome from the Bay too! I'm assuming your bike is equipped with brifters (brake and shifter combined) ? It could probably just be some dirt build up inside. If not, then you may have to buy some replacements.
Thanks. Yes. they are brifters. Shimano 105 RD-1055 to be exact. I removed, inspected and cleaned the brifters. The movement feels smooth, but its not shifting or grabbing the gears. Not too knowledgeable to the internal mechanics of brifters. My guess is something seized up inside.
Likes For MediocreMatt:
Old 05-26-20, 11:25 AM
MediocreMatt

Originally Posted by Dave9040
Hello and welcome from Indiana! Hope you can get the bike working and back on the road.
Thanks for the welcome. Getting the bike on the road is my main priority. I really want to keep the original parts to retain the period correctness of the bike, but am exploring new modern sets just to get back on the road.