Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Hands-free extended camera mounts, poles, frames, etc for riding?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Hands-free extended camera mounts, poles, frames, etc for riding?

Old 05-13-20, 07:52 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Steve I'm not very technically sauvy. I'm old skool and don't see a external mic socket but has a USB HDMI socket. With tight fittings both videocams take good video or their will be video glitches. Neither can do night shots. The included accessories for both are a BIG plus.

SJ4000 - Needs bright lighting for good, clear still shots.

SJ9000 – Lighting isn't near as important for good, clear stills & video. Love the remote.

I purchased my cameras here https://www.ebay.com/itm/312959327201

Here's a video of the SJ9000 similar to mine but MY largest micro SD card is 32GB:

4K Ultra HD Waterproof Action Camera - WiFi - HDMI - Remote Control by NEXGADGET

Old 05-13-20, 11:14 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Steve compared the two cameras still photo quality with evening indoor lighting. I prefer the 170 lens SJ9000 rather then the 140 lens SJ4000.

Old 05-13-20, 11:36 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Mark Hoaglund Thanks for the comparisons.

I am looking in to the cameras. I haven't found anything on the ones you reference in relation to the aux audio input. However, I have found not all GoPro's support that. Those that do have that aux audio coming in through the USB-C port. I seem to recall that being possible with the newer smartphones using that plug - as opposed to the 4 pin trrs plugs from the "past". I am not sure if the USB-C port pinning for aux audio in is "universal", however being a USB standard I would assume so. I would have to research it some more. The bottom line is - it appears that the device has to "support" that ability. The port used for it is the USB-C.

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/accesso...AAMIC-001.html
Old 05-14-20, 02:36 AM
Mark Hoaglund

As for reading after cropping details can you see the Indian on horseback or the other carved image of a buffalo on the skull or read the guitar name on the head stock? I can't.

Old 05-15-20, 02:48 AM
Mark Hoaglund

Indoor and outdoor test on gray cloudy afternoon day. This winds it up with SJ4000 on left side & SJ9000 on the right. I'm fond of both cameras and they don't weigh much plus the batteries/case shells interchange.

Test SJ 4000 9000 Daylight backyard

Old 05-15-20, 01:32 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
The 9000 is definitely clearer in the shots you provided.
Old 05-15-20, 04:40 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I like the way you're thinking. I have done several rides on a "new" route to get off the bike trails around here and on to roads. The bike trails are so crowded with everyone "at home" during the crazy'ness its a pain. So on to the road it's been. A lot of drivers are less than courteous to bicycle riders. So far I haven't made contact. However, in Ohio where I am the law is vehicles have to pass with 3ft clearance. Somehow a mirror passing my arm within an inch doesn't seem like a 3ft space.
I added a 2nd rear facing strobe to my left drop bar and it helps get courtesy distance a cpl seconds longer than if I had just the rear strobe

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-15-20 at 05:29 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-16-20, 09:19 AM
Mark Hoaglund

New top tube bicycle camera front mounts.