Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Buying Helmet online?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Buying Helmet online?

Old 05-12-20, 08:38 AM
amishboy51

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Buying Helmet online?

As we move into month #3 of quarantining, I’ve been trying to ride my bike more frequently. As a result, I’ve realized that my helmet is 5+ years old, so despite no significant crashes,
I should probably replace it ASAP. Since stores are closed, and I probably wouldn’t feel comfortable shopping whenever they do reopen, I was thinking of trying to buy online.

So, any thoughts/opinions/feedback on this idea? Or any specific recommendations for replacing my Giro helmet? I ride a Trek hybrid and don’t go off-road, if it matters.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-20, 08:46 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Did you not like your Giro? If you liked it, buy another. I use one and like it, and bought it on-line.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 05-12-20, 08:49 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
I'd have complete confidence doing this if I was buying the same brand and model.

Otherwise, it's a gamble with fit; however, that can be minimized with modern helmets being so good at 1) adjustment and 2) extra padding provided as standard. For example, I was looking at a Catlike Mixino, even though while having never tried one on. Apparently it comes with side padding in three different thicknesses, along with movable "cradle"-like bits, so it would seem it would suit round or long oval shapes (I have a long oval).

So unless you can't find what you like at the LBS - and you should always try there first, because your LBS is essential and someday you will need it! - then I'd say go for it online.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 05-12-20, 09:52 AM
amishboy51

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
I'd have complete confidence doing this if I was buying the same brand and model.

Otherwise, it's a gamble with fit; however, that can be minimized with modern helmets being so good at 1) adjustment and 2) extra padding provided as standard. For example, I was looking at a Catlike Mixino, even though while having never tried one on. Apparently it comes with side padding in three different thicknesses, along with movable "cradle"-like bits, so it would seem it would suit round or long oval shapes (I have a long oval).

So unless you can't find what you like at the LBS - and you should always try there first, because your LBS is essential and someday you will need it! - then I'd say go for it online.
Yeah, I was thinking of sticking with Giro, assuming that their fit is “consistent” (especially because I figure I’m not going into an LBS, even if open, any time soon).
Likes For amishboy51:
Old 05-12-20, 09:56 AM
amishboy51

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Did you not like your Giro? If you liked it, buy another. I use one and like it, and bought it on-line.
Yes, I like it fine, but I wasn’t sure I could assume that the fit is “consistent” from one Giro to another?
Old 05-12-20, 09:22 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by amishboy51
As we move into month #3 of quarantining, I’ve been trying to ride my bike more frequently. As a result, I’ve realized that my helmet is 5+ years old, so despite no significant crashes,
I should probably replace it ASAP.
You don't sound like an easy man (boy) to reassure but, FWIW, my helmet is closer to 10 years old than 5, and I have no plans to replace it ASAP because I have never done anything more serious to it than knock it against the garage door as it was opening. But if that stimulus check is really burning a hole and you truly must spend some money on something bike related ... here. Don't argue, don't overthink it. Buy this helmet,and no other. Leisesturm has spoken.
Old 05-13-20, 05:46 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I bought mine online (Amazon) in April 2014. I'd have no particular concern about clicking "buy again" if I felt like a new one since the expense so far is $3.16 per year and it's not significantly less protection than any other bicycle helmet. Upgrading to a Giro, online is as good as in a store IMO.
Old 05-13-20, 08:02 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 709 Times in 363 Posts
Probably a good idea to stay with Giro if you like the fit. I’d use the opportunity to upgrade to a model with MIPS, assuming you’re current helmet doesn’t have MIPS.

While the data supporting MIPS may be somewhat limited, the added cost is minimal, and there’s reason to beliEve it can reduce the likelihood and severity of radial shearing injury.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 05-14-20, 01:54 PM
amishboy51

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback and suggestions.

Sorry, no stimulus check for me, but, yeah, while I haven’t sustained any damage (that I can remember, anyway ), I AM a wuss, and my helmet is > 5 years old, so I’m going to follow the replacement recommendation anyway.

And I think the Giro and MIPS suggestions make sense. So thanks again.
Old 05-16-20, 06:36 AM
WalterVandervor

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for sharing. I also want to know the answer
Old 05-16-20, 08:32 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
I've been involved with the cycling industry for 30 years. Unless you use your helmet every day, and have stored it in harsh conditions (hot - freezing cold garage, exposed to direct sunlight, in the back of a car long term) you don't need a new one every five years. Period. If you want a more comfortable or protective helmet go for it. No need to spend money you don't need to otherwise.
Likes For tgenec86:
Old 05-17-20, 07:39 PM
amishboy51

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks, tgenec86, but I already went ahead and pulled the trigger. Bought a Giro Register MIPS online.
Old 05-25-20, 06:23 AM
Tpsfoto

Bikes: Specialized Vita Limited, Giant Talon 2, Diamondback insight 2, Sepecialized Hardrock women's

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I just sold my 2005 Giro....still got $25.00 for it after all of these years.....bought a Leatt on sale... direct from them....DBX great Helmet great price....btw you measure your head circumference and look at the chart on their site....delivered in a couple of days and fit perfectly.
Old 05-26-20, 10:16 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by amishboy51
Thanks, tgenec86, but I already went ahead and pulled the trigger. Bought a Giro Register MIPS online.
Can't go wrong with the new MIPS technology. I have two new Lazer MIPS lids and love them.
Old 05-28-20, 10:26 AM
deadlocked

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for sharing !!