Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Has the demand for C&V bikes increased?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Has the demand for C&V bikes increased?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 11:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I visited the LBS today. Stock is way down from a few weeks ago, and customers were coming and going with bikes from the service department.

But as far as I could tell, the vast majority of sales and servicing were for comfort hybrids and cruisers. Usually the customers at this shop are pretty serious roadies. But not recently.

The maintenance crew have a three week backlog. That's a pretty good problem to have.

The retail floor space is almost half full/empty. I've never seen it like that. But the holes in inventory are where the casual leisurely bikes go. They still had a bunch of high end Treks and Cervelos, and a nice used older Trek carbon bike that caught my eye.

I just bought a bottle of chain lube and left. I always buy a little something there. They've done a lot of quickie minor repairs and adjustments for me, sometimes charging nothing or as little as $5. Good to see my favorite shop doing pretty well through the pandemic hit on most small businesses.
Old 05-06-20, 04:09 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I listed 3 C&V bikes for sale at average prices. They were gone in a day. Yesterday I listed 2 bikes at high prices. They were gone in a day. The market here is waaaaay up. The biggest problem is, finding bikes to flip is difficult.

Selling requires good photos and a road-ready bike. Nobody in this bubble wants a fixer upper.
Likes For kross57:
Old 05-06-20, 05:47 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I look here periodically for curiosity and postings seemed way down. Thought casual sellers were just distancing, but maybe just selling that fast. I've been surprised how many more street riders I've seen lately although one major mup was closed for a while.
Old 05-06-20, 08:25 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
I wish I could find somebody to buy this beast.

SHOGUN 2000, like new, upright bar city bike, Schwalbe Marathon tires.
With drop bars, a more road-appropriate saddle, and an aluminum rear rack, that'd sell as a commuter/tourer in minutes in the DC market. Easy $300.
Old 05-06-20, 08:40 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
I was wondering this lately as well. I went back to bmx mostly and hang out and ride with a local shop. He doesnt even have space to walk with all the repairs and sales he has going. Working til midnight every day. On top of it, he sells skateboards and those shops were deemed non essential, so all the skaters are in there.

Anyway, I dont see any change, but people are out riding more than ever which has to translate into some wanting something different or cool. So there probably will be an uptick.
Old 05-06-20, 07:08 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
With drop bars, a more road-appropriate saddle, and an aluminum rear rack, that'd sell as a commuter/tourer in minutes in the DC market. Easy $300.
After all these years of converting drop bar bikes to more comfortable upright bukes, I guess I should have left it "as-is".

Old 05-07-20, 07:23 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
After all these years of converting drop bar bikes to more comfortable upright bukes, I guess I should have left it "as-is".

Yes. ^this is a more practical bike. PG
Old 05-07-20, 10:22 AM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
I have this exact bike converted to 9sp with barcons and rigged for touring, very nice ride. I had the forks chromed - the rest of the bike was fine but they were scraped up and had rust. Too ugly to leave as is and I couldn't get a paint match so I went all stupid on it. Not selling that one.
Old 05-13-20, 08:26 PM
ramzilla

Look at what I just sold tonight. YAY! Now I can buy another old beat up bike & start all over again. Thank you Jeff. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 05-19-20, 03:47 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
I really like the way the Shogun (above) is set up. Very clean machine! At 66, this is what I do to a lot of my bikes.

I sold a fully restored mid-70's Motobecane yesterday listed for $300, sold at $270 due to a last minute problem I found minutes before the buyer arrived.
I've got a mid-70's Peugeot Mixte on the block for the same price, but zero calls so far, which surprises me because I've had great success selling mixtes. I've got $300+ into it just counting the upgraded tires, wheels and saddle. I'm sure you all know how that goes.

My plan is to thin my herd by two more bikes because I've restored 3 bikes already this year, 2 of which are keepers.
Old 05-22-20, 05:41 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I love building bikes. If I wasn't at a 15% reduced salary AND furloughed 1 day a week on top of that, I'd probably buy more to rebuild and sell either way - and probably keep a few for myself.
But I was talking to my wife about this the other day as well and people just don't expect to pay more than $150 for a bike that isn't from this decade - no matter what the quality is of the frame or the parts that went into the rebuild. The only way you'll get decent dollar is if you can find another bike-guru to buy it from you.
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 05-25-20, 10:52 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
So..., Is now a good time to sell a better quality restored classic in the $750 or more price range?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-25-20, 04:55 PM
guy1138

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
...people just don't expect to pay more than $150 for a bike that isn't from this decade - no matter what the quality is of the frame or the parts that went into the rebuild. The only way you'll get decent dollar is if you can find another bike-guru to buy it from you.
I've sold four downtube shifting bikes for between $240 and $360 over the last few weeks here in Austin. Three of them were just mid range steel bikes tuned up with good tires and bar tape. The more expensive one was a nicer vintage cannondale touring frame.
Likes For guy1138:
Old 05-25-20, 09:29 PM
ramzilla

I found this bike chained to a utility pole on my bike ride last Sunday. It had a sign that said "make offer" with a phone number. A couple days later, I texted an offer of $50. The response was OK. Let me know when you can pick it up. So, I went & got it. It had an 8 speed Shimano STI drivetrain. Was skipping bad. Repacked the rear wheel bearing. Soaked the freehub in diesel fuel. Lubed up the chain. Then, it rode like a new bike again. Put it on CL, FB, & NFBC. Sold it for $150 two days later from FB ad. Probably could have got more. But, what the heck. It was a flip. Be good. Have fun.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 05-26-20, 08:59 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts

BBMF, Big Blue Moved Fast, with reupholstered saddle. Omg, this 520 sold in about 6 hrs at $295.

I had a tan 520 that had a ton of hits and did not sell, so I raised the price $50 and on the repost sold in 3hrs of posting.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 05-26-20, 10:38 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I found this bike chained to a utility pole on my bike ride last Sunday. It had a sign that said "make offer" with a phone number.
Likewise. I found a pair of Magna MTB's in the dumpster enclosure with all the tires flat. Nothing else looked wrong with them so I dragged them home and pumped them up. One tire had been rode off the rim, and tore the valve stem out, but I put in one of my used 'spares'. Couple shots of spray lube and wiped down the paint after a test ride, and threw them on CL before dinner for $40 each.
Got 4 calls at breakfast and had them sold by lunch.

I'd say demand is up, not just for C/V, but for good, serviceable, affordable bikes.
Old 05-26-20, 10:50 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
BBMF, Big Blue Moved Fast, with reupholstered saddle. Omg, this 520 sold in about 6 hrs at $295.

I had a tan 520 that had a ton of hits and did not sell, so I raised the price $50 and on the repost sold in 3hrs of posting.
Upping the price on a bike that is not selling has been one of my tactics. It plays along with human nature. People are pre-programmed to associate price with value and quality. We all want stuff we can't afford, right? Paying more for something gives us the illusion that its better than the one your neighbor bought for $100 less, right? This has worked many times over for me.
Old 05-26-20, 02:46 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Interest by scammers, yes. Interest by buyers, no.
Old 05-27-20, 11:53 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I've been inspired by this thread, along with the thread about New York running out of bikes.

I just sold a Motobecane mixte for $60 that in better times I had been unable to give away. Complete with stuck seatpost, rusted steel rims, and an English freewheel forced on a (steel) French threaded hub. And the buyer was made expressly aware of all these problems!
Next day I sold a Huffy. A huffy! For $75. It didn't last 8 daylight hours on Craigs before I had a buyer on my doorstep and 3 more buyers in the inbox. To be fair, equipped with a Shimano 3-speed hub, but still.

Gonna straighten the fork of a mildly front-end-crashed Univega Viva Sport and see what I can get for that next! Also I think I have two '80s Columbias. Cleaning my basement is fun!

Seriously though, as someone who owns both a Herse and a Huffy, my observation is that the low-end seems way up, while the high-end has barely budged. My latest trippy experience was looking at formerly-cheap die-cast SR pedals on Ebay. Now you can see '80s SR pedals selling for prices over half of what those cool extruded Phil CHP pedals cost, while they used to be cents on the dollar.

Last edited by scarlson; 05-27-20 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-28-20, 01:48 AM
guy1138

Originally Posted by kross57
...The biggest problem is, finding bikes to flip is difficult.

Selling requires good photos and a road-ready bike. Nobody in this bubble wants a fixer upper.
Everybody wants ready-to-ride bikes, which is great, because I can still find projects to flip at reasonable prices. My biggest problem is finding enough parts to finish out all the bikes, especially tires! Amazon is taking forever for other stuff too; waiting on bar tape, seat post and hoods right now!
Old 05-28-20, 01:57 AM
guy1138

Originally Posted by scarlson
.. that the low-end seems way up, while the high-end has barely budged.
This tracks with all the news outlets and bike shops are saying: the used bikes disappeared immediately, followed by everything under $1k. The big box stores are picked clean. I've sold everything I could put together for at least 20% over what it would fetch a year ago. My problem now is getting enough parts (especially tires) to finish up what I've got.
Old 05-28-20, 05:40 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
If I get some time I will probably be sending bikes to a co-op on consignment. Hopefully with the new demand they will accept some of my mid range bikes, previously they have only taken $3-400 bikes. Which they have been able to sell, thankfully.
Old 05-28-20, 01:07 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Can hardly give one away here. The only contacts are scammers.
Old 05-28-20, 01:16 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
All last year, when I would sort my Seattle craigs search by price ↑, the first page would end in the low $300s. Now, it's around $450. Here's my search criteria:

suntour | campy | campagnolo | italian | italy | columbus | 531 | tange | ishiwata | motobecane | dura | lugs | champion | grand | cinelli | reynolds | 700 | 700c | miyata | mavic