Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Week trips near Michigan

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Week trips near Michigan

Old 04-29-20, 01:05 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I'd be shocked if a specialty audio place is allowed to be open right now. No one is going to pull you over to see what you are doing, if that is what you are worried about, but there isn't a lot going on indoors here right now either.
Thanks for the report. I’ll just have to wait this road trip out for how ever long it takes.
Old 05-23-20, 03:34 PM
okrep23

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Threadjacking here - and I apologize for that.
For those with experience on the North Eastern State Trail in particular, how is the trail condition for a gravel/cyclocross bike?

Typically I ride an older cyclocross bike with 700x32s with a fairly aggressive tread. But I'm uncertain if this will be a fun ride on something other than a mountain bike. I'm getting mixed signals on the trail conditions.

For example, I have a Wilderness Press book from 2017 "Rail-Trails Michigan and Wisconsin" which rates the trail at "Level 2-3" with Level 1 being appropriate for any bike; Level 2 for "surface may be loose and/or uneven and a problem for road bikes and wheelchairs" and Level 3 stating "a rough surface only appropriate for mountain bikes and hikers."

But, the map from Michigan Trails Magazine at mitrails.org which is dated 2020, states "the trail surface is finely screened and compacted limestone, firm and smooth and well suited for most bicycles."

Any thoughts are appreciated. I may be in the area for a week in June and need to decide what gear to bring.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-20, 04:19 PM
Lanesplitter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Glad you revived this thread. So much has changed since it was started. I had proposed that a great place to start would be Midland, for the Pere Marquette Rail Trail starts there. Well, it just got flooded out. It was so incredibly sad to see the bicycle tridge underwater. Made international news.

I know the NCRT as well as anyone. Started in Gaylord for my very first tour. The gravel is hard pack, so it's pretty fast. I think 28mm or greater should be fine. Also, it's my understanding that the extension from Gaylord to Waters is ready, which makes the trail almost 80 miles. Finally, Waters is the highest point in the Lower Peninsula so it's downhill most of the way, although at a slight grade.

EDIT: I just realized you wondered about the ECRT I believe, which goes to Alpena, rather than Gaylord. I've ridden that one too. The two trails join in Cheboygen for the final leg to Mackinac City. It also could be ridden in 28s or above. Minimum tread. The trail is somewhat rougher than its neighbor. Not as packed. The only parts to watch out for are intersections. They tend to be sandy. A gravel bike is the perfect setup. A mountain bike would be overkill.

Last edited by Lanesplitter; 05-23-20 at 06:15 PM.
Likes For Lanesplitter:
Old 05-23-20, 06:05 PM
okrep23

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the on-the-ground report

Thanks, Lanesplitter! The world certainly turned upside down in Midland and Gladwin Counties in the past week. Under normal conditions the Pere Marquette from downtown Midland is great, and quite bicycle friendly after you get a couple miles west of downtown and the dogwalker and kids traffic thins out. I grew up less than a half hour away and...in a different century used to rollerblade out there all the time with my now-spouse. Still have close family just a couple miles from downtown Midland- fortunately on higher ground to the east.

Great news about the rideability of the North Eastern State Trail! Your input is appreciated.

Originally Posted by Lanesplitter
Glad you revived this thread. So much has changed since it was started. I had proposed that a great place to start would be Midland, for the Pere Marquette Rail Trail starts there. Well, it just got flooded out. It was so incredibly sad to see the bicycle tridge underwater. Made international news.

I know the NCRT as well as anyone. Started in Gaylord for my very first tour. The gravel is hard pack, so it's pretty fast. I thing 28mm or greater should be fine. Also, it's my understanding that the extension from Gaylord to Waters is ready, which makes the trail almost 80 miles. Finally, Waters is the highest point in the Lower Peninsula so it's downhill most of the way, although at a slight grade.

EDIT: I just realized you wondered about the RCRT I believe, which goes to Alpena, rather than Gaylord. I've ridden that one too. The two trails join in Cheboygen for the final leg to Mackinac City. It also could be ridden in 28s or above. Minimum tread. The trail is somewhat rougher than its neighbor. Not as packed. The only parts to watch out for are intersections. They tend to be sandy. A gravel bike is the perfect setup. A mountain bike would be overkill.