Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Budget yet solid storage ideas ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-20, 07:44 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

The gf and I bought a new home that closes escrow next month. The garage is a large 40’x24’ with lots of room. We somehow are up to 10 bikes that need safe, solid storage. I have plenty of room for standard steel bike racks but wondering what some of you may have come up with that’s less expensive yet still effective?
I would prefer to keep them on the ground, not be hung from hooks, rafters, etc.....
Old 05-10-20, 08:01 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Been hanging bikes from rafter hooks for 20 years, no ill effect if that’s what your worried about.
Old 05-11-20, 04:21 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've gone with hooks on the walls, saves so much space.

If you really want to just have the bikes upright on the garage floor, places like Home Depot sell standard metal freestanding bike racks that you see outdoors.

Before I got married and just had 1 bike, I built a simple wooden deal out of scraps that I screwed onto the garage wall - kinda looked like this version. But, mine was not as elegant...

When more bikes, and bike with different tire sizes, got added to the mix I abandoned that and went with wall hooks. You can buy cheap hooks or pay extra to get bicycle specific ones that last longer, make getting on/off easier, etc.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 05-11-20, 05:27 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Google "diy bike rack" and look at the images tab..you'll see lots of options.