Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wireless computer interference

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-19, 06:44 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 278 Posts

I put a Cat Eye Padrone on my touring bike and it worked fine until I went for a night ride. I have a Son hub for power and a Edelux II headlight. While the light was operating the computer did not function so there was no increase in the distance traveled. Is there a simple wireless computer with a speed sensor that the light will not interfere with. If not will a wired computer work without the light interfering in the computers operation.
Old 02-26-19, 06:57 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
It's a very frustrating business, isn't it. You could try moving the light further from the computer. I find with mine that the computer works when it's about 8" from the light but, of course, it will depend on how much interference the light is putting out.

Otherwise the only solution is to use either a wired computer or a digital one - in the Cateye range that would be the Padrone Digital, Padrone Smart or Padrone Smart+.
Old 02-26-19, 06:58 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Have you tried shielding the cables, especially where they are in very close proximity to your computer? Years ago, Radio Shack sold shielding material that you tape over the wires to avoid interference. I'm sure that stuff is stall available from some electronic supply stores.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-26-19, 08:29 AM
ArmChairRider

Bikes: 630 Beach Bike Schwinn Hurricane ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe put a bridge rectifier between the output of the hub and the light for DC power.
Old 02-26-19, 08:59 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
A hard-wired comp will solve your problem.
Jon
Old 02-26-19, 09:18 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Yes, it can interfere. I prefer wired for this reason, or if insisting on wireless, just going straight to GPS based.

I've even had things like riding under high transmission power lines knock out signals.
Old 02-26-19, 09:35 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 115 Posts
Bummer. We have the Padrone computers on two bikes and they were not affected by lights. But the answer is either to move the light away from the computer or get a wired computer.
Old 02-26-19, 10:01 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Originally Posted by Aubergine
Bummer. We have the Padrone computers on two bikes and they were not affected by lights.
It does depend on the light. My NiteRider Lumina and my Lupine Tesla both interfere, whereas other lights I have, including Lezyne and FW Evans own brand ones, do not. The Lupine light predates the rise in wireless computers so that isn't surprising. The NiteRider is rather disappointing as it's a new light and otherwise appears to be well made.
Old 02-26-19, 10:17 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
It does depend on the light. My NiteRider Lumina and my Lupine Tesla both interfere, whereas other lights I have, including Lezyne and FW Evans own brand ones, do not. The Lupine light predates the rise in wireless computers so that isn't surprising. The NiteRider is rather disappointing as it's a new light and otherwise appears to be well made.
Yes, I have noticed that. I should have added that the lights on our Padrone-equipped bikes are powered by a dynamo. Two different lights, too. I also use a Cateye Vectra computer on other dynamo light equipped bikes with no interference.
Old 02-26-19, 10:24 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I put a Cat Eye Padrone on my touring bike and it worked fine until I went for a night ride. I have a Son hub for power and a Edelux II headlight. While the light was operating the computer did not function so there was no increase in the distance traveled. Is there a simple wireless computer with a speed sensor that the light will not interfere with. If not will a wired computer work without the light interfering in the computers operation.
I feel your pain. I have some Niterider lights that interfered with the signal from my Cateye Micro wireless bike computer to the sensor on the fork. I ride before dawn, so lights are crucial. I replaced the wireless computer with a wired Cateye Velo 9 for $30 from Amazon. Problem solved.
Old 02-26-19, 12:33 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 921 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I've had this exact same issue. Distance was the simplest solution for me; Cygolight on one side of the bars, computer on the other. Six inches seems to be the magic number.

Last edited by Korina; 02-26-19 at 12:35 PM. Reason: add light brand
Old 02-26-19, 04:30 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
We ride mainly on the flat and my Padrone kept showing max speeds of something like 63 mph .... I wish

I thought it was because it was too close to my phone which was in a top tube bag and it was happening during the day when my torch was off ... maybe they can both cause issues as I would have thought it unlikely to be the torch if it wasn't switched on during the day rides but could be wrong.
Old 02-28-19, 10:33 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Cateye Vectras on multiple bikes, all dynamo hubs and lights, zero interference from the lights. Max speed errors are so frequent and common that the values are useless. Well, I’m pretty sure I’m not hitting 68mph on my ride home. Not sure what causes the errors but it happened before the dyno too. Occasionally the speedo will read “0” as I pass through intersections. It’s brief, happens only through intersections, and not all intersections or even on the same intersection all the time. I don’t worry about it. I accept these things as part of the cost of wireless.

-Kedosto
Old 03-01-19, 04:27 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
I have no interference from lights , and also none from power lines - I specially paid attention when passing under a 330 kV line yesterday. However, I have interference from trams (modern ones only, the old models do nothing) - when one is nearby, around 10 m or less, the speed drops to zero. Same happens also at some fixed points along my daily route (not intersections). Moreover, I have observed it showing random speed figures while just laying on my office desk. Obviously the max speed figures are useless; in my case they top out at 91.1 kph (seems a random figure, but one I see often and is never exceeded). Out of the city it seems to work all right though.
The model is Force 12 WLS (a cheap Czech brand, but I have suspicion that this is actually some no name Chinese product, as I've seen visually identical computers on internet under different names)
Old 03-01-19, 07:35 AM
jgwilliams

Originally Posted by subgrade
However, I have interference from trams (modern ones only, the old models do nothing) - when one is nearby, around 10 m or less, the speed drops to zero. Same happens also at some fixed points along my daily route (not intersections).
I used to get that with an old Sigma computer I had but I've not had it with the Cateye Micro. I'm guessing the modern trams are pumping out a lot of high power RF interference from their very sophisticated power supplies, whereas the older one would just be using resistors, which would have wasted a lot of power by comparison.
Old 03-01-19, 09:57 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
If wireless, get a BLT/ANT solution. More expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Old 03-05-19, 05:37 AM
jgwilliams

For those who may be interested, I've just received my new Exposure Strada RS light. In testing this doesn't interfere with the wireless computer at all, even on full power and held right next to either the sender unit or the computer.

When I first found that my NiteRider light interfered with the computer I wrote to NiteRider expressing disappointment. Their response was that their light was driving the LED much harder than other lights I had. At the time I thought this was a bit lame but the NiteRider was definitely putting out more light than any other unit I had so I couldn't really argue with it. However, the Exposure light is 1,200 lumens versus 750 for the NiteRider so this definitely gives the lie to that response.The answer is clearly good design and/or shielding.