Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Was Matrix ever its own company or only a Trek house brand?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-23, 07:23 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts

Referring to the magazine article scans in the following thread, I noticed an advertisement there for Matrix wheels and tires which raised a question in my mind: I've seen plenty of Matrix -branded hubs and rims on vintage Treks and always assumed it was Trek's house brand (can't recall any "Matrix" tires though). Searching online I can't find any reference to a separate company or their wheels as anything but stock parts on Trek bikes, and there's at least one Matrix rim pictured online with a "made in the USA - Waterloo, WI" sticker which would of course be consistent with this being a Trek brand. Does anyone know if they were ever their own company?

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ne-rb-1-a.html
https://www.velosaloon.com/products/...from-the-1990s

Last edited by lasauge; 08-05-23 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-05-23, 08:48 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 332 Posts
This is an interesting question. There doesn't seem to be much information on the intertubes. The word "matrix" yields zero results on the "inside Trek" company history site and on the Trek Wikipedia page.

This site mentions Matrix as a Trek house brand for wheels, tires, and helmets, but doesn't say much about it:

MOMBAT: Trek Bicycles History

Maybe there isn't much to say besides Matrix was a Trek house brand for a little while.

I hope some of our Trek experts will chime in.
Old 08-05-23, 10:54 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I've had several pairs of matrix tires over the years; always pulled off of older wheel sets that came with used Treks. Early 90s stuff, I think?
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 08-05-23, 11:27 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26454 Post(s)
Liked 10,408 Times in 7,226 Posts
...from Velobase:

Matrix was the house brand for Trek bicycles during the 1980's and into the early 90's. They sourced the components from sevearal countries. Tires seem to be mostly from France, where the first rim added to VeloBase.com states that it was made in the USA.
Old 08-06-23, 02:05 AM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
Referring to the magazine article scans in the following thread, I noticed an advertisement there for Matrix wheels and tires which raised a question in my mind: I've seen plenty of Matrix -branded hubs and rims on vintage Treks and always assumed it was Trek's house brand (can't recall any "Matrix" tires though). Searching online I can't find any reference to a separate company or their wheels as anything but stock parts on Trek bikes, and there's at least one Matrix rim pictured online with a "made in the USA - Waterloo, WI" sticker which would of course be consistent with this being a Trek brand. Does anyone know if they were ever their own company?
This is the label from my ISO-C from 1986-87. Not the II version. Bought from Bike Nashbar IIRC, rim only.

Seen the same type label with the Trek name, possibly later production.

Last edited by KCT1986; 08-06-23 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Nashbar info
Likes For KCT1986:
Old 08-06-23, 05:54 AM
WT160

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
I have some Matrix IsoC rims on Specialized hubs. I wonder if there was a connection between Specialized, too.
Old 08-06-23, 08:35 AM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
This is the label from my ISO-C from 1986-87. Not the II version.
Thank you, I think that points us to the answer which was given in another thread about Tru-America:

Originally Posted by 63rickert
Made in Rockford Illinois for just a few years. Stretching the memory banks hard and coming up with Tim Smith for name of proprietor but please don't trust that. He worked a bit with Ron Boi getting the business going. Contact Ron at RRB Cycles and he can talk your ear off and put you in touch with Tim. The basic intuition the two of them had was most rim extrusions are not at all accurate and the variations in wall thickness create uneven stresses and rim failure. Confirmed by taking measurements on failed rims and measurements on rims that lasted forever. Like most rim makers the extrusions were by outside vendors. Tru-America simply put calipers on every extrusion they purchased and rejected any that were out of spec. The extrusion jobber figured out they were serious and gave them the accuracy they wanted. The result was phenomenally strong rims. The Schwinn engineers had trouble believing they were not double heat treated rims like Mavic SSC. Purchased by Trek who labelled them as Matrix Iso rims and of course let the quality control slide. Never had good distribution. Never found customers who would pay a nickel more to get a superior product. They were priced about same as any other rim of the period. They were competing with Mavic and Rigida rims on price and were just entirely ahead of those on quality.
Old 08-06-23, 09:09 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3597 Post(s)
Liked 3,418 Times in 1,944 Posts
Originally Posted by WT160
I have some Matrix IsoC rims on Specialized hubs. I wonder if there was a connection between Specialized, too.
No, no connection with Specialized. Matrix rims were made in the original Trek factory "red barn" in downtown Waterloo. The extrusions were sourced from a place in Rockford, IL (I don't remember the name), and shipped to Waterloo where they were cut to length, rolled, pinned, and drilled, and sent out for anodizing (in Milwaukee, IIRC). The first Matrix rims were the "Iso" rims for tubular tires (that's "iso" as in isosceles triangle, referring to the rim cross-section. I remember seeing Tim Isaac in his office, measuring Nisi "Laser" rims when he was designing the Iso rim. The aero cross section of the Iso rim meant that no eyelets could be used, and they shipped with nipple washers to be used under the nipple flange. Not everybody used them, and eventually the washers were omitted (I've always used the washers on Iso builds). The "Iso-C" rim came later, for wired-on tires, and box-section "Titan" rims as well.

I have a bunch of Iso anodizing rejects I use for stretching tubular tires.

I also cut up reject rims to use as handles for the tools I made to install the plastic funnel inside the drive-side chainstay, for through-the chainstay cable routing with the Trek investment cast dropouts.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 08-06-23 at 09:16 AM.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 08-06-23, 10:54 AM
chain_whipped

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts

Its ALIVE!
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 08-07-23, 03:27 PM
chain_whipped

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Wish these robust Matrix CDR3 27" clinchers were yet available. Used on tandems for years. Made in Japan.

Below is the Matrix ISO Tech 3K clincher. Japan sourced.

Last edited by chain_whipped; 08-07-23 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-04-23, 09:13 AM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Not 100% sure but I think the CD__ tires were made by Panaracer, aka National Tire Co, but I may be wrong.
Old 09-04-23, 10:35 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Really don’t know, however Sheldon Brown referred to them as Treks house brand quite some time ago. He apparently wasn’t a big fan of them either.
Tim

Old 09-04-23, 10:48 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked 1,069 Times in 791 Posts
"Matrix" was also a brand of Columbus tubing but due to trademark infringement legal action, Columbus retired that brand and Matrix tubing became "Cromor".
But you still occasionally come across some (almost all Italian mid-grade frames) that have the Columbus Matrix tubing decal

Here's a couple examples lifted from the very educational Italian Cycling Journal blog:

I guess some were maybe a little "better than midgrade" Italian frames!

Last edited by unworthy1; 09-04-23 at 10:57 AM.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 09-04-23, 01:41 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2157 Post(s)
Liked 3,425 Times in 1,211 Posts
All of the Matrix rimmed wheelsets that I have owned or on bikes I’ve worked on have actually been pretty nice.
Certainly no better or worse than others of the same late 80’s period.
Now that I think of it, have a NOS set right here, laced to 8 speed Tricolor hubs!
Old 09-04-23, 02:39 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 395 Posts
As a reference point, my 83 Trek 700 has Tru-America “narrow” rims. Made in USA and 13-20. Some info points to them predating Matrix. They seem fine and must’ve been well regarded by Trek to put on the 700 series and with Campy hubs. No problem at all with them running 32s, but eventually I may go with wider rims.
Old 09-05-23, 03:26 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6228 Post(s)
Liked 4,231 Times in 2,373 Posts
I volunteer with a guy who was the Trek rep for the Western US for the last 30+ years. He said Matrix was always a Trek in-house brand.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-05-23, 04:05 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked 1,754 Times in 1,194 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
All of the Matrix rimmed wheelsets that I have owned or on bikes I’ve worked on have actually been pretty nice.
Certainly no better or worse than others of the same late 80’s period.
Now that I think of it, have a NOS set right here, laced to 8 speed Tricolor hubs!
+1, Sheldon seems to base his judgement of Trek's "wheelsets" on the Helicomatic hubs, and that somehow rubs off on the quality of the rims. He said nothing to substatiate any quality claim about Matrix, other than possibly to imply that "house brand" means "mediocre". Maybe there's no such intention; it's ambiguous at best.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 09-05-23, 05:29 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked 2,986 Times in 1,693 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
+1, Sheldon seems to base his judgement of Trek's "wheelsets" on the Helicomatic hubs, and that somehow rubs off on the quality of the rims. He said nothing to substatiate any quality claim about Matrix, other than possibly to imply that "house brand" means "mediocre". Maybe there's no such intention; it's ambiguous at best.
Agreed. I was working in a Trek dealership when the bikes started showing up with Matrix rims. I remember the rims, maybe in particular the dark-anodized rims, being above the norm in quality. No lip at the seam to catch the brake pads, and very easy to get dead true.