Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Crosstop Levers

Old 06-05-17, 08:37 PM
Cedwards2301

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crosstop Levers

I looking for a pair of levers to use for a new bike build. I have a pair of drop bars but I don't plan on riding in the drops too often so i'm looking for a good pair of levers to install up on the top next to the stem.

For reference I have a Thomson X2 stem (31.8) and Nitto Drop Bars.
Old 06-05-17, 08:50 PM
scoho

Bikes: steel track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I may, cross levers are ugly on drop bars and take up valuable real estate that your hands could be occupying.

Drop bar levers are easily accessible from the top of the bars, and the hoods provide a valuable new resting position for your hands.

Especially if you're doing a pair anyway, I'd go with drop levers.
Old 06-06-17, 12:09 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Yeah I'd definitely go with hoods too, unless you want to be able to remove them easily. These get the job done though: https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...s-cross-levers I use one on for riding on the streets and easy take-off for track riding.
Old 06-06-17, 12:31 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
You say you won't use the drops. Don't. With levers only on the tops you will not be able to get to them fast unless you choose to not slow at all with your legs. (Think about it - say someone stops in front of you. Your first instinct will be to slow your legs. But that throws your weight onto your hands which you need to pull up and back to get to your brakes. I used to use that instinct to my advantage. There were 3 Massachusetts rotaries on my commute, all at the bottom of small hills. It was easy to come in with speed and "park" myself close behind a car - the one place in the chaos of the rotary that there would never be another car. When that car's taillight came on, I slowed so quickly with my legs on that reflex that I would be further behind the car before I got to the brakes. In the drops with regular road levers.)

scoho, I have cross lever on one bike. I never find they interfere with any of my hand positions. Granted I no longer race and probably will never be in a position (or fitness) to push another rider up a hill, the one time when you really do want the real estate next to your stem. Also I have those levers right up against the center sleeve of the handlebars as I don't need them if my hands are outboard.

Ben
Old 06-06-17, 01:55 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cedwards2301
I looking for a pair of levers to use for a new bike build. I have a pair of drop bars but I don't plan on riding in the drops too often so i'm looking for a good pair of levers to install up on the top next to the stem.

For reference I have a Thomson X2 stem (31.8) and Nitto Drop Bars.
i've used Tekro cross levers on road bars. they have worked very well for me. they are nothing special though. just brake levers. i don't care for road levers, in general, and haven't used them for many years.
Old 06-06-17, 07:01 AM
scoho

Bikes: steel track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
scoho, I have cross lever on one bike. I never find they interfere with any of my hand positions. Granted I no longer race and probably will never be in a position (or fitness) to push another rider up a hill, the one time when you really do want the real estate next to your stem. Also I have those levers right up against the center sleeve of the handlebars as I don't need them if my hands are outboard.
Yeah, I hear you on that. Maybe that part of my comment was somewhat idiosyncratic to me, as I'm more sensitive than most and one of my goto cruising positions is hands all the way in on the stem.