Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 08-10-19, 05:38 PM
TXBDan

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Are any of you guys on strava or garmin connect? I'd like to see your routes!
Old 08-10-19, 05:44 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by TXBDan
Are any of you guys on strava or garmin connect? I'd like to see your routes!
I tend to post routes via Google Maps with the BF posts to which they pertain, referenced through a link that's part of the description of the route.

rod
Old 08-10-19, 06:02 PM
rholland1951

Took the LHT up the Minuteman to Lexington Center for a ride before dinner to dispel a sense of weariness from godnose what source. Lots of jolly people, some of them quite small, out riding and walking today, an essentially social ride with benign, if not always skillful, strangers. A jolly band playing a Grateful Dead cover at the Aeronaut beer garden set the tone.

The Arlington Bolted Seafood have invaded the gray zone of the Arlington-Lexington line, at Mal's yard.

On the way home, was vouchsafed this vivid image of Time's Arrow, a lesson in the irreversability of ice cream.

The Resident Bunny welcomed me back, then resumed pondering the perennial question, "Can I eat it?"

Thus ended another little ride.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-12-19 at 01:19 PM. Reason: The weird interactions between Google Photos and BF continues. Can you see the pictures?
Old 08-10-19, 08:28 PM
TXBDan

Is there a way to get across 95 on the MCRT near 117?
https://www.tkmaps.com/MCRT/

It still shows red here, but i'm not sure how up to date this is.
Old 08-10-19, 08:48 PM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by TXBDan
Is there a way to get across 95 on the MCRT near 117?
https://www.tkmaps.com/MCRT/

It still shows red here, but i'm not sure how up to date this is.
I think that's in the Waltham segment. It's not developed yet, but whether there's a usable trestle you could rough it on, I don't know. Perhaps better to take 117 for now, and pick up MCRT in Weston.

rod

rod
Old 08-10-19, 11:23 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
No cyclists were harmed while filming.

Cycling in Amsterdam:

-mr. bill
Old 08-11-19, 05:59 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
I’ve been riding way more than sharing it here. I’ve exceeded 2000 miles on my new Seven a few weeks ago and am knocking on 2500’s door. Today I rode my steel Soma Smoothie 87.8 miles. I rode 17 miles from Mashpee to the Woods Hole ferry terminal, then rode about 54 on the island and another 17 returning to the start point in Mashpee. It was a picture perfect day for circumnavigating the island.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 08-12-19, 04:36 PM
rholland1951

Took the Trucker DeLuxe out on the Minuteman before dinner, admiring the Deep Summer afternoon. The purple loosestrife was doing battle in slow motion with the cattails in Arlington's Great Meadow.

Pretty much all of the Burma Shave sequences in Lexington have become dissociated single signs. This suggests amusing recombinations, e.g.,

A bunny went tearing across the trail within a centimeter of my front wheel; a clean miss, with enough excitement to go around. When I abruptly wheeled into the driveway, the Bunny in Residence briefly startled, but then carried on nibbling at the salad bar.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-15-19 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Propitiation of the Google Photos deity, a god best described as "quirky".
Old 08-12-19, 05:41 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
On Sunday, which is yesterday today, we rode the tandem out to Concord. Had a nice picnic and stroll around the North Bridge. 45.25 miles on a very nice day.

On the way back we experienced an unusual experience, a triple courtesy. We were about to pass a pedestrian on the MM when we heard a woman's voice behind us "On your left." Then she (actually they) pulled back and waited. When we were all clear of the pedestrian they came around and she apologized for starting the first time, said she hadn't seen the pedestrian at first. Wow, that doesn't happen every day.

Today I commuted again. I saw several examples of exactly the opposite kind of behavior. This morning I was passed by a guy loafing along on an ebike, doing about double my speed. No call out, no nuthin', just blowing on by. That happens at least once every commute. I passed a pedestrian staring at his phone who turned slowly to the center of the bikeway, started back, stood there. When I called out "Heads up behind you!" he sort of lifted his head and gave every appearance of not being sure what planet he was on. On my return commute on the Fitchburg Cutoff two young women popped straight out of a totally blind side trail about 15ft in front of me. No warning, no nuthin'. I slammed on brakes, yelled Woah! Fortunately my brakes and reflexes are good and the lead rider had time to jump out of the way. For about 10msec I was sure I was going to t-bone her and then her friend would have run into us both. (That's the second time in two years a pair of non-thinking cyclists have done that to me on the F.C.) She called out Sorry! I called out You almost killed all three of us!

Between the crazy MM riders and the new road construction (still not fixing the badly patched areas) and the condo projects and the mad traffic my commute is getting quite stressful. Here's the choice, either ride my bike(s) to work or drive my one year old Porsche. Can you guess which way I'm leaning?
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 08-13-19, 07:29 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I’ve been riding way more than sharing it here. I’ve exceeded 2000 miles on my new Seven a few weeks ago and am knocking on 2500’s door. Today I rode my steel Soma Smoothie 87.8 miles. I rode 17 miles from Mashpee to the Woods Hole ferry terminal, then rode about 54 on the island and another 17 returning to the start point in Mashpee. It was a picture perfect day for circumnavigating the island.
Ghazmh, that sounds wonderful! 'Tis the season!

rod
Old 08-13-19, 07:36 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by jimmuller

Today I commuted again. I saw several examples of exactly the opposite kind of behavior. This morning I was passed by a guy loafing along on an ebike, doing about double my speed. No call out, no nuthin', just blowing on by. That happens at least once every commute. I passed a pedestrian staring at his phone who turned slowly to the center of the bikeway, started back, stood there. When I called out "Heads up behind you!" he sort of lifted his head and gave every appearance of not being sure what planet he was on. On my return commute on the Fitchburg Cutoff two young women popped straight out of a totally blind side trail about 15ft in front of me. No warning, no nuthin'. I slammed on brakes, yelled Woah! Fortunately my brakes and reflexes are good and the lead rider had time to jump out of the way. For about 10msec I was sure I was going to t-bone her and then her friend would have run into us both. (That's the second time in two years a pair of non-thinking cyclists have done that to me on the F.C.) She called out Sorry! I called out You almost killed all three of us!

Between the crazy MM riders and the new road construction (still not fixing the badly patched areas) and the condo projects and the mad traffic my commute is getting quite stressful. Here's the choice, either ride my bike(s) to work or drive my one year old Porsche. Can you guess which way I'm leaning?
Porsche? That would certainly restore the order of the universe w.r.t. e-bikes.

rod
Old 08-13-19, 07:57 PM
rholland1951

Took the LHT out on the Minuteman five-ish, yet another little ride before dinner.

This dude ran the light at Mass. Ave. and Mystic Street, about as incompetently as possible without actually getting hit by a car. Perhaps he was simply clueless about how the intersection worked; he saved at most 10 seconds.

If you're crossing Mill Street tonight, ride around the cones: there's a hole in the middle.

The Detour signs were up at Fottler Avenue, but folks coming down the path said it was open.

So I gave it a try. The way was clear, with several freshly repaved sections that were solid, but still throwing off heat. Riding over them was a little like fire walking; didn't seem to damage the tires, so all was well.

Cross your fingers, this may fix the long-standing puddles between Maple Street and Seasons Four.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-13-19 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-13-19, 08:37 PM
E53 
Chuggin' Along

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I visited someone in Harvard recently who uses the "Nextdoor" email app. He said there were references to "Tour De France wannabees" tearing it up on the downhills, and being a nuisance.
Never once was it mentioned how hard we work getting up those hills though.
Old 08-14-19, 04:25 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by E53
I visited someone in Harvard recently who uses the "Nextdoor" email app. He said there were references to "Tour De France wannabees" tearing it up on the downhills, and being a nuisance.
Never once was it mentioned how hard we work getting up those hills though.
Indeed. Anybody can be a Giro Hero on a long downhill.
Old 08-14-19, 11:15 PM
rholland1951

Got out on the Trucker DeLuxe for what was in effect a do-over of the ride to Boston that got rained out last week. The destination was Castle Island via a roundabout route that took me down the Cambridge side of the Charles on the way there, across the locks, through bits of the North End and the Rose Kennedy Greenway and on through the Seaport District and South Boston; the return was via the South Station neighborhood, Chinatown, Downtown Crossing, the Common, Beacon Street, the Esplanade and on up the Charles on the Boston side, crossing back to Cambridge on the foot bridge. The whole thing was more or less spontaneous, with lots of improvised route picking and a certain number of space-filling curves through parks (and around a few that were closed for repairs). The whole thing took about 25 miles, but somehow I managed not to get a track, and had to reconstruct my course by playing some games with Google Maps. I managed to time things so that I hit neither the morning nor the afternoon rush hours.

Cambridge: Eat the rich.

Cambridge: Eat the geese.

Cambridge: Approaching the Harvard Bridge.

Cambridge: UJB as seen by Salvador Dali; note that the U-Lock continues to protect the frame.

Cambridge: Fast times at the Skatepark.

Boston: A cloudy day at the Locks.

Boston: Thank God for the Fish Pier, a fixed point among all the changes.

Castle Island: Dining al fresco at Sullivan's, with a nice view of the Conley Container Terminal.

Castle Island: No bikes or dog poop (an interesting equivalence class).

South Boston: Southie still resembles itself, in part.

One of the reasons I picked Castle Island as a destination was to see if the no-bikes policy was still in effect. I didn't test the enforcement of that, but will ask around a bit. I was last there in the early 70's, on a Raleigh 3-speed, and it was a lovely place to ride at the time. It's also a gateway to points further South, so perhaps I'll be back regardless. In any event, the lobster roll from Sullivan's easily justified the pedaling.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-14-19 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-15-19, 07:05 PM
rholland1951

Time was short, so I took the LHT on a very quick (for me) sprint up to Lexington Center, shaving 10 minutes off my usual time. Made me happy.

rod
Old 08-16-19, 08:06 PM
rholland1951

Hopped on the Trucker DeLuxe and rode East, stiff climbs and brisk descents, urban and suburban streets, in, out, and around potholes, picking routes through work zones, running with the bulls.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-17-19 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-17-19, 04:42 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951
Got out on the Trucker DeLuxe for what was in effect a do-over of the ride to Boston that got rained out last week. The destination was Castle Island via a roundabout route that took me down the Cambridge side of the Charles on the way there, across the locks, through bits of the North End and the Rose Kennedy Greenway and on through the Seaport District and South Boston; the return was via the South Station neighborhood, Chinatown, Downtown Crossing, the Common, Beacon Street, the Esplanade and on up the Charles on the Boston side, crossing back to Cambridge on the foot bridge…

One of the reasons I picked Castle Island as a destination was to see if the no-bikes policy was still in effect. I didn't test the enforcement of that, but will ask around a bit. I was last there in the early 70's, on a Raleigh 3-speed, and it was a lovely place to ride at the time.

It's also a gateway to points further South, so perhaps I'll be back regardless. In any event, the lobster roll from Sullivan's easily justified the pedaling.

rod
Nice travelogue, @RHolland, of my “stomping grounds." I was not aware of a “no-bikes policy." FYA, my last visit there was memorable, via your stomping grounds.
Originally Posted by jppe
August 14, 2016-First day of epic 3400 mile cross country ride from Florence, OR to Boston, MA over 41 days (plus 2 days off the bike)
JimfromBoston provided an incredible guide across Boston to the Atlantic the last day.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
CODA

It was one of my most pleasant cycling days in 40 years of cycling, to ride with jppe, and to direct his wife in the van to various locations and ultimately the Atlantic Ocean. We met at about 9:30 AM at the Wayland Depot, about 20 miles from the Atlantic Coast and we hit it off immediately…

We mapped out a route to include a few historic sites that Jeri could meet us at by car. We stopped at the Walter Gropius home, a national historic architectural landmark; rode by Walden Pond; and lingered at the old North Bridge in Concord, site of the Battle of Concord on the first day of the Revolutionary War. The day was as perfect as the pictures portray.…

We next rode to Bedford, and took the 11 mile Minuteman Bikepath to Arlington. We could ride two abreast, and I had a chance to hear all the details of his ride. As did many respondents to his threads, I already knew of the virtually day-by-day details, and I asked pretty specific questions about the activities…

We took a side jaunt to the Lexington Green, site of the skirmish that preceded the Battle of Concord, and then then rode through Arlington into Cambridge and meandered around Harvard Square…

His description of the ride was spot on, though in referring to the Charles River as “Dirty River” the actual term is “Dirty Water” as in the 1960’s song by the Standells, “Love That Dirty Water.” It’s a virtual Bostonian anthem, played at all the Red Sox home games:

The picture of the END ROUTE 20 sign was taken about two blocks from our condo in Kenmore Square. Again jp was so gracious to visit my shop and tell his story, one block further down, and closer to the ocean. We then headed straight though downtown for Castle Island on Boston Harbor

right away a group of three young ladies gathered around admiring [his dog who was on the trip with wife driving the sag wagon], ignoring the guy in the superhero costume. I had to tell them that the dog had just come across the country from Oregon, and oh yeah...with the guy in the red suit on a bicycle.

I told jp, “Well this far, and no farther.”(a favorite line from an episode of Columbo), and we took the end-of-ride pictures.

We then had a celebratory dinner at a fine Boston seafood restaurant (Legal Seafood Harborside). We re-hashed our respective cross-country trips, including the current one with Jeri’s point of view. While jp was away from the table, I asked her how she liked the trip…I had a blast.”
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...The end-of-ride pictures were taken behind Fort Independence on the Harbor side, and the picture of the dog with the girls near Sullivan's.

The night before I had asked a friend from South Boston where to eat al fresco, since I would have my bike with me, and added, "...but not Sullivan's...," not with any prejudice, but I wanted to take them to a real nice place.

While en route to Boston I recalled we would be near the Seaport District, and we went to Legal Seafood Harborside. ...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-17-19 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-17-19, 02:18 PM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 235 Posts
My wife and I took a ride on the BFRT today. We parked at the Brook St lot and rode up to Chelmsford Center. It was a peaceful ride, especially in comparison to how crazy the Minuteman is on weekends.

I rather liked the graphics on this old plowblade at Lakeside Ave (I wonder which is older, that plow, or my Fuji...):

We took a moment to have some snack bars and enjoy the railroad murals at Chelmsford Center:

Not much of a beach day at Heart Pond - quietest I have seen it on a Summer day:

Overall, it was a pleasant 17 mile round trip, especially since the threat of rain never materialized. Afterward we had a nice lunch at the Donelans adjacent to the parking lot.

I did not take a picture, but something new since our last BFRT ride, about 6 weeks ago, were asphalt berms lining the path on the bridge over 2A. I think their purpose is to keep gravel from washing off the shoulders onto the path along the bridge approaches. If so, I would rate them as very effective, as there were no gravelly slippery spots there, unlike past rides.

Last edited by bike_tom; 08-17-19 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Fix typo
Old 08-18-19, 01:15 PM
E53 
Chuggin' Along

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I've been going into Harvard these past several weekends. These are a few of the sights along the way. If you go under the footbridge; that is Littleton Rd. I call it the "easy way in" although there's a pretty good hill just before you come into the center of town.If you take Old Littleton rd, which runs roughly parallel ti Littleton Rd., you will get two even steeper climbs coming in to the center. There is no shortage of hills around Harvard!
Old 08-19-19, 07:53 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
D2R2 weekend! I dragged (rather pushed) the wife along the new 50-mile paved route and, amazingly, she finished. It was a really challenging one with nearly 5000 feet of climbing. The hills were long and relentless. After tackling some of them I will be laughing at the local offerings we have in the suburbs.
The paved route was rather sparsely attended, I heard that only 20 people signed up. The main event, however, was as busy as ever. We didn't stop too often to take pictures but we balanced that out by stopping for the hills. The roads were mostly good pavement - some were cratered, but few - and mostly empty of traffic. There's amazing riding in this part of the state, and in the Berkshires as well. Wish I was more into road riding in college.
The most exciting part of the day, perhaps, was seeing a mother bear and two rather large cubs cross the road about 300 feet in front of us in the DAR state forest. Not only because it was an 'oh, crap...' moment, but because, from what I understand, it's fairly rare to encounter black bears here in the Northeast even when hiking, but on a bike?

Typical scenery, cool, humid morning was a nice start

The only unpaved part was this quarter-mile hill

On some of the hills you went down

Typical Western MA scenery

The very scenic Bardwell's Ferry bridge which was followed by a long, steep climb in full sun

Deerfield River

After-'party'. Good time for bike-oogling. There was everything: cheapish and expensive MTBs, huge fatbikes, a sea of titanium, custom-made, custom-painted models made by that one maker in that one shed, shiny rando bikes with Brooks saddles and canvas bags. In this sea of variety our road bikes looked fairly boring.

Swag
Old 08-19-19, 08:50 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Back and spent the weekend relearing how to cycle in America. (Recycling?)

And got bit (actually, snakebit) when I both didn't avoid a pothole and didn't get out of the saddle.

But some last bits of last week in Amsterdam:

I spent a significant amount of km cycling on roads even in Centrum. (It's not all separated cycle paths.)

Several minutes of riding near trolleys and riding near canals (pothole free):

And another stand on the corner and watch the commuters go by during rush hour, in the afternoon this time:

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-19-19 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-19-19, 09:08 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by E53

I've been going into Harvard these past several weekends. These are a few of the sights along the way. If you go under the footbridge; that is Littleton Rd. I call it the "easy way in" although there's a pretty good hill just before you come into the center of town.If you take Old Littleton rd, which runs roughly parallel ti Littleton Rd., you will get two even steeper climbs coming in to the center. There is no shortage of hills around Harvard!
I did I ride through Harvard with my husband last year. He's from the area (Bolton) and wanted to ride the roads he used to take as a teenager. Those hills kicked our butts! But we survived. I'd like to take another stab at it now that I have a proper road bike. Ruby is much better suited to climbing.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 08-20-19, 07:58 PM
TXBDan

Probably not news to many, but i recently changed my commute up to take me along the Alewife Greenway Path that runs alongside Alewife Brook Parkway/16 through Cambridge. That's a nice little path. Lots of boardwalk.

I need to get better at stopping to take pics. I'm always rushing around.
Old 08-21-19, 02:25 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951

Boston: Thank God for the Fish Pier, a fixed point among all the changes.

rod
I guess Northern Edge Seafood doesn't believe in sharing the road.

Last edited by drewguy; 08-21-19 at 02:33 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.