Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Visiting SF for 48hrs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Visiting SF for 48hrs

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-17, 07:28 AM
Visitor1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Visiting SF for 48hrs

Hi

I'm on a trip to San Francisco on the 17th and I'm looking for a ride of around 40 to 50miles. I'm not a fast rider, don't mind a climb or two. What route could you recommend?

Also, where's the best place to rent a road bike?

Thanks

TJ
Old 06-04-17, 07:58 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
I'd think you'll have to be more specific on where in the Bay Area you'd want to ride. Are you going to be in downtown SF? Will you have a car or just riding? So many options here in the Bay and I'm sure the experts will recommend the routes.
Enjoy your visit!
Old 06-04-17, 08:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You may not find a fancy rental bike, bring yours.
[ I moved, away, in 1990... already got price increased to unaffordable, as a Single , back then. ]

I used to live in the North Bay, (Napa) a nice loop, Ferry to Vallejo, from Fisherman's Wharf,

Ride west from there, across the northern bay side, you will then find the bike routes along 101, to go south to the Golden Gate Bridge, which you can ride across, then into the Presidio, to complete the loop..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-04-17 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-04-17, 08:27 AM
simplybao

Bikes: s-works FSR stumpy, custom Lynskey, Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
You may not find a fancy rental bike, bring yours.

I used to live in the North Bay, a nice loop, Ferry to Vallejo, from Fisherman's Wharf,

Ride west from there, across the northern bay side, you will then find the bike routes along 101, to go south to the Golden Gate Bridge, which you can ride across, then into the Presidio, to complete the loop..

I was just there last week. I rode 30 miles and rented a nice bike to ride. My ride was fairly easy but I wasn't looking for anything hardcore.

We rented bikes from a place called Blazing Saddles in Fisherman's wharf. They have everything from the cheapo bikes to nice "high end" bikes. We rented a carbon Specialized Rubaix with an Ultegra group set. AT $68 a day, it's not cheap. They have more expensive bikes as well. They will fit SPD or Look pedals if you want or flat pedals. I went with flats because I didn't bring my shoes.

First thing when you walk in, you'll be like, WTF. It's not the highest end looking place as they rent to the masses. There are multiple locations for Blazing Saddles so if you call them, ask them for the location with the high end bikes. They keep most sizes in stock. I ride a 52 and my partner rides a 56 so this were available.

We rode from the Wharf down the Embarcadero towards the old Candlestick. Easy flat ride and we just stuck to the streets by the water. We got to Candlestick, rode back the way we came then rode along the water, over the Golden Gate Bridge.

You can go further, you can go over to Sausalito or even do some climbing up the roads to Muir Woods. There is a "bike trail" along the water which is a mix of MUP or you can ride next to it on the road. In fact, there are signs that tell you to ride the road if you're faster.

So, that was my ride last week. It was an easy ride but then again, my partner and I tend to be easy going riders. We are getting to ride a charity event at the end of the month and are going to do a metric century so we just wanted to keep pedaling.

Good luck!
Old 06-04-17, 08:49 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Riding/walking over the Golden Gate Bridge is NOT TO BE MISSED!
Old 06-04-17, 12:05 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
although riding over the GG bridge can be disapointing cycling experience, what with the combination of traffic noise, masses of pedestrians, other cyclists and foul weather, i suppose you could end up kicking yourself afterwards if you hadn't.

the nice part is you can then ride through Sausalito and do a loop around the Tiberon peninsula.
Old 06-04-17, 12:24 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
a good place to start...

https://www.strava.com/local/us/sf-north-bay/cycling/routes

or this...

https://www.strava.com/local/us/san-francisco/cycling/routes

Last edited by diphthong; 06-04-17 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-04-17, 02:40 PM
Visitor1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, are there any group rides on the morning of the 17th?
Old 06-04-17, 03:28 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
Riding/walking over the Golden Gate Bridge is NOT TO BE MISSED!

There is no "riding" over the Golden Gate. It is more of a walk with your bike, unless you want to go very early in the morning but then you have to deal with the fog.
Old 06-04-17, 03:36 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
A shame you don't have more time. I would suggest a ride down to Monterra and stay over night at the hostel. Just beautiful.

Golden Gate Park is pretty nice. And then you would be right near Arguello Market. It is almost worth flying out to San Francisco just to get one of their turkey sandwiches. They have a sign out front (or at least had). Best Turkey Sandwiches in the World. They aren't boasting.

https://www.bing.com/maps?&ty=18&q=A...58199&v=2&sV=1

The hostel at Ft. Mason is very good. I will bet they have bike rentals or at least tell you where you can rent one nearby.

https://www.hiusa.org/hostels/califo...shermans-wharf
Old 06-04-17, 05:36 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
If you are from California and are driving to S.F., then take your own bike. The Golden Gate Bridge is crazy over the weekend with lots of pedestrians and out-of-town visitors. Not a good ride.

Across the Bridge is Marin County and that's the place for a quieter ride. Sausalito is the town after the Golden Gate Bridge. Nice place and has its own high end bike shop.

There are places to stay in Mill Valley Marin County. That would be a nice ride from Mill Valley towards Sausalito to the GG Bridge to Fishermans Wharf.

I saw lots of riders during the work week commuting from Marin to S.F.