Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What say you? New bike: Aero vs. Lightweight

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What say you? New bike: Aero vs. Lightweight

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-19, 02:03 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I read that aliens built the pyramids.

But they probably had fake Stravas.
You have a pretty face lol
Old 08-03-19, 09:28 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Anyway, I'm torn between whether it makes more sense for me to get a lightweight bike or something more aero.

I'm an analytical guy first and for performance for most riders, and most of the riding they do, incremental improvements in aero have more impact than incremental improvements in weight.

Reality check: given the demand for both lightweight bikes and aero bikes (if not both), there are at least good subjective reasons to prefer either. There will be differences in handling, in "feel", which is the top factor for some people.

Or does it even matter?

The frame is a very small portion of the overall aerodynamic drag, Differences in frame weight, also very small. I'd look at it as a matter of taste and personal predilection whether you'd be concerned about either one.
Old 08-03-19, 12:53 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
The comment was "up over 17-18 mph or so". Nothing special, it's what I recall from the early days of aero bar use when triathletes were starting to use the clip-on variations on standard road bikes as an attempt to gain some free speed without investing in a dedicated TT bike. It seemed common experiences were the faster you tried to go, the more you fought the wind and that speed area seemed to be the point were a clip-on was going to be advantageous, below that not so much. Much has changed in the ensuing 25 years to modify this "theory".
I doubt that aspect of physics and drag has changed that much in the last 25 years, but eh.
Old 08-03-19, 05:38 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I doubt that aspect of physics and drag has changed that much in the last 25 years, but eh.
I think our understanding (well, not mine per se) of physics and drag and how it affects cycling is better understood 25 years later.
Old 08-04-19, 05:50 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by rodey
It was on a list of lighter ones I saw within my budget. At $3800, it's in my upper range. I can't spend more than that.
Cervelo R3 disk $3,700.

https://www.cervelo.com/en/r3
Old 08-05-19, 11:50 AM
biketube guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wind drag comes almost completely from the rider; your clothes, helmet, and position on the bike. Wheels also play a real role, but keep in mind a deep rim on a front wheel can create handling issues at speed in a cross wind. "Aero" frames are 99% aesthetics and marketing hype. Tests showing they have any significant benefit are usually done in a wind tunnel with no rider on the bike and the wheels not spinning. Light bikes are fun, heavy bikes are not, according to my opinion. I'd say, for the highest fun/speed quotient, get a light bike that fits you, with great wheels and quality tires, buy light pedals and shoes, and bend your elbows ; )
Old 08-05-19, 01:07 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by biketube guy
Tests showing they have any significant benefit are usually done in a wind tunnel with no rider on the bike and the wheels not spinning.
The logic here astounds me. Whether the majority of frame tests are done in a wind tunnel or through field testing is open for debate, but let's assume for the sake of argument that the vast majority of test are done in the wind tunnel. So what? If the tests done in the field contradicted the wind tunnel results, there might be a reason to mention where a test was conducted, but since field tests overwhelmingly confirm the results from tunnel testing, what difference does it make?
Old 08-05-19, 01:08 PM
asgelle

"Aero" frames are 99% aesthetics and marketing hype.
I think you need to listed to the podcast again.
Old 08-05-19, 04:10 PM
biketube guy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
The logic here astounds me. Whether the majority of frame tests are done in a wind tunnel or through field testing is open for debate, but let's assume for the sake of argument that the vast majority of test are done in the wind tunnel. So what? If the tests done in the field contradicted the wind tunnel results, there might be a reason to mention where a test was conducted, but since field tests overwhelmingly confirm the results from tunnel testing, what difference does it make?

My point is that the flow of air around a bike is completely different when measured with and without a pedaling cyclist with spinning wheels. Without a rider, the difference in the drag coefficient of an "aero" and "non aero" frame might be significant. Add a pedaling rider with spinning wheels, and the frame becomes a non-issue. The air is disturbed in a completely different way.
Old 08-05-19, 04:14 PM
asgelle

My point is that the flow of air around a bike is completely different when measured with and without a pedaling cyclist with spinning wheels. Without a rider, the difference in the drag coefficient of an "aero" and "non aero" frame might be significant. Add a pedaling rider with spinning wheels, and the frame becomes a non-issue. The air is disturbed in a completely different way.
First listen to the podcast again. Then look at relative CdA data for frames, bikes, and bikes with riders. Data has a nasty way of disproving even the most strongly held hypotheses.
Old 08-05-19, 04:15 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Add a pedaling rider with spinning wheels, and the frame becomes a non-issue.
Differences in frame aero tend to become less significant with a pedaling rider versus a bike by itself, but they don't disappear, especially as the front of the bike is still in clean air.
Old 08-05-19, 04:18 PM
Dingman 

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I have a Domane and a Madone. I can tell the difference between the two when riding. The Domane is about 3 lbs heavier than the Madone.
I have an Emonda and Domane. The Domane is about 3.5 lbs heavier, and I can tell a difference (most of the time, I live in Iowa).
BTW, I'd be surprised if your Madone came in at the weight of my 15.3 lb Emonda. (but maybe?)

Last edited by Dingman; 08-05-19 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-05-19, 04:28 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Depending on which Domane he has it's quite possible, since the new SL5 comes in at 21+ lbs, and Madones are easily in the 18lbs range.
Old 08-05-19, 04:45 PM
HTupolev

Originally Posted by Dingman
I have an Emonda and Domane. The Domane is about 3.5 lbs heavier, and I can tell a difference (most of the time, I live in Iowa).
BTW, I'd be surprised if your Madone came in at the weight of my 15.3 lb Emonda. (but maybe?)
You can't make a comparison unless you know the particular models. "Emonda" can mean one of those 11-pound SLR 10s from a few years ago, or it can mean a 21-pound ALR 4 Disc. Similar variation exists across the other Trek road lines.
Old 08-05-19, 05:13 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Dingman
My Domane is over 20 lbs with full fenders. My Madone is 17 lbs. I ride 60 cm frames.
Old 08-05-19, 06:05 PM
Dingman 

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
My Domane is over 20 lbs with full fenders. My Madone is 17 lbs. I ride 60 cm frames.
Thanks for the numbers, that's what I should have just come out and asked, in the first place.

My 2018 Domane comes in at about 18.5 with pedals. Oh wait, I put aerobars on - I'm sure it is pushing 20 lbs by now - without any fenders! And it's a 50cm frame. I got nothing special going on here.
Old 08-06-19, 11:15 AM
sterlingsam

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rodey
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a new bike for various reasons. I don't dislike the bike I have (2014 Cannondale SuperSix Evo 105), but I want to upgrade and have been saving up for awhile. Getting a good new bike instead of spending on new wheels and new groupset just seems to make sense, especially since I'm not too fond of my paint job.

Anyway, I'm torn between whether it makes more sense for me to get a lightweight bike or something more aero. Or does it even matter? I know that GCN has covered the topic and there have been countless of other places that have, as well, but I'd like a little more advice.

I live in Wisconsin. Some of my rides cover parts of the Ironman course we host, which is said to be one of the tougher ones.

More about my rides: I'm trying to get back into top shape, but typically around 30-50 miles. Right now my standard routes are covering about 1000-1500 feet of elevation gain according to Strava, and I typically average around 18-18.3 mph. When I have more time and can get further west, we're talking 1000-3000 feet of elevation gain. Mostly short, steepish hills, with some longer ones out there.

Should also note that I usually ride solo, occasionally in groups. Also sometimes do sportives. I don't race, but like to push myself to go as fast as possible/act like I'm competing.

So, what would you do if you were me: go lightweight or more aero? Does it even matter? I'm currently eyeing either a 2019 Argon 18 Gallium Disc or 2019 Orbea Orca Aero. I'm open to other suggestions, but I'm not overly fond of Trek and Specialized, which are the big sellers around here.

Just looking for input/advice. Thanks in advance!
You can read my response to gaining 4mph without getting fit, but in summary, unless you are biking at 22-25 mph, spending more for a heavier (than a lightweight road bike) aero bike isn't worth it. Buy a lightweight road bike. You can get a very nice 7.0 kg (w/o pedals) bike for under $2K, a super road bike for twice that.
Old 08-06-19, 11:55 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I did close to 10 hours of hard pack riding last week. I was in over my head with this crowd, so I spent almost all of the time sheltered from the wind. Wheel sucking- I know, sorry.

So out of 10 hours of riding, possibly 5 minutes was in a situation where aero was important.

Light wheels were far more critical in hanging with the pack; the accelerations around the corners were the ones that hurt.

Ideal bike here: as light as possible with low profile carbon tubulars. Weight trumps aero.
Old 08-06-19, 12:40 PM
RShantz

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I did close to 10 hours of hard pack riding last week. I was in over my head with this crowd, so I spent almost all of the time sheltered from the wind. Wheel sucking- I know, sorry.

So out of 10 hours of riding, possibly 5 minutes was in a situation where aero was important.

Light wheels were far more critical in hanging with the pack; the accelerations around the corners were the ones that hurt.

Ideal bike here: as light as possible with low profile carbon tubulars. Weight trumps aero.
Aero still matters while in the pack.
Old 08-06-19, 01:44 PM
asgelle

And it wasn't accelerating the wheels that hurt. It was the weight on top of the saddle. (and accelerating against the drag force holding you back.) Despite all claims to the contrary, there isn't a special branch of physics that applies only to cyclists.
Old 08-06-19, 01:54 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by RShantz
Aero still matters while in the pack.
Thanks for completely changing my mind. Invaluable quantitative evidence and real-world experience all in one brief issuance.

One more point: due to the UCI weight limit, top-end bikes are being loaded with extra ballast such as aero frame shapes, deep profile rims and (shudder) disk breaks.

But nobody here wasting their time on these forums is subject to this arbitrary limit. So significant performance gains are possible by not following this latest aero frame fad.

What's next: aero gravel bikes?
Old 08-06-19, 01:59 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
You spend a lot of time on your own when riding gravel, so why not?
Old 08-06-19, 02:16 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Both light and aero...from the past.

I was out riding yesterday and meet a fellow who bought and old (17 years he says) Giant aluminum aero frame bike for $300. Sounded like it needed wheel bearing and headset work. When I lifted it up I could not believe how light this bike is. It felt like 15 - 17 lbs with the 25mm Shimano 16 spoke aero rims (might have been after market) and some accessories. Perhaps some bike manufactures have increased the weight of their aluminum bikes to promote their more profitable carbon fibre ones. I've never heard of a carbon aero bike this light.

This is one bike I think would be worth rebuilding.....Years ahead of it's time.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 08-06-19 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-06-19, 02:55 PM
rodey

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Cervelo R3 disk $3,700.
I actually swung by the shop, as I was just passing by, and looked at some Cervelo's as well.

I haven't made a decision yet, but I'm leaning towards the Orca Aero. They have a 2019 model at a price that is simply fantastic and in the color I'd like it in. I just need to take it for a ride and determine if the 57 is the proper size for me or the 60 is (in which case I'd have to look elsewhere/have them order one).
Old 08-06-19, 03:04 PM
HTupolev

Yep. I always make sure to wear my astronaut spacewalking suit on group rides, the airless vacuum of a cyclist's draft is quite hazardous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.