Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-20, 01:58 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
As far as drag, it really is not a noticeable thing. Here's a good link: https://www.cyclingabout.com/dynamo-...g-lab-testing/
Thanks for the link and the feedback!

If I go the dynamo route, it will be a PV-8 and likely a B&M headlight.

Main motivation for looking into something other than my current setup is to try out a headlight with a shaped beam, it just makes so much sense. Even if I don't go with a dynamo setup I would likely go with a B&M battery headlight for the lens alone. Plus, like you said, lots of them are designed with commuters in mind so reliability shouldn't be much of a concern.

I priced a few things out, and it looks like a dynamo setup would end up being 40-50% more expensive than a nice B&M battery light + Tiagra or 105 front hub.

We'll see how I feel when it comes time to actually build the wheelset. One advantage I have is a large handlebar bag that would make using a light with an external battery a lot more practical than if I had to strap it to a frame.
Old 02-11-20, 01:59 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
let me rephrase. If it is the best airport food in the philly airport. I did a side by side comparison to all other restaurants in this fine establishment. Nothing comes close to quality and bang for the buck in quantity of food.
I’ve been here since 7 am, I know things.
Old 02-11-20, 02:00 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Originally Posted by datlas
Get a NiteRider Lumina 1000 for under $100 and relegate the 500 to your saddle-bag as a backup??
I will definitely consider that as an alternative!

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I have two Dynamo hubs. One built into 700c; the second 27". I bought them both used. The Shimano has worked flawlessly for five or six years (more?). I have B&M EYC C+ light and one of their tail lights as well. The thing to remember with dynamo lights is that, if a repair is to be made, you need a battery light along. And if you you crash, again the lights go out. It would be prudent to have both, I suppose. I'm no speedster and I don't notice any drag. IfvI were to go back to riding nightsvon a regular basis, I would use dynamo every time.
I'm not fast either, but I still outrun my current light. I think it's just the narrow beam that I'm not a big fan of.
Old 02-11-20, 02:04 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
So I've got a moral-ish dilemma on my hands. My wife's family is dealing with the loss of their mother last year and this Friday will be the first year of her birthday that she is not with them. I unfortunately have a lot of recent experience with this, but this is not the time to get into that. Somewhere along the line, one of the three daughters decided that camping would be the best way to spend time together and honor her memory at the same time. Now I like camping. Big outdoors fan. But no one has really planned anything out and everyone is flying by the seat of their pants hoping that there will be some open camping spots somewhere. And the weather at the moment is miserable. It's been low 40's and raining for a few days now. We will be getting some sun and slightly warmer temps, but the first night would be not much above freezing, the ground will be mostly wet, there will be no power/water at the proposed sites, oh AND between three married couples, we had 5 small children ranging from 1 to 8 years old that makes just going to one house enough of a logistical nightmare.

I feel like they need a reality check, but I don't want to be the one to give it to them basically.
Old 02-11-20, 02:08 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10164 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
So I've got a moral-ish dilemma on my hands. My wife's family is dealing with the loss of their mother last year and this Friday will be the first year of her birthday that she is not with them. I unfortunately have a lot of recent experience with this, but this is not the time to get into that. Somewhere along the line, one of the three daughters decided that camping would be the best way to spend time together and honor her memory at the same time. Now I like camping. Big outdoors fan. But no one has really planned anything out and everyone is flying by the seat of their pants hoping that there will be some open camping spots somewhere. And the weather at the moment is miserable. It's been low 40's and raining for a few days now. We will be getting some sun and slightly warmer temps, but the first night would be not much above freezing, the ground will be mostly wet, there will be no power/water at the proposed sites, oh AND between three married couples, we had 5 small children ranging from 1 to 8 years old that makes just going to one house enough of a logistical nightmare.

I feel like they need a reality check, but I don't want to be the one to give it to them basically.
I certainly see what you mean. Maybe you can initiate some critical thinking by asking what the plan is in a non-judgmental way and whether they have any alternatives in mind if conditions aren't good. In the worst case, you'll probably survive and someone will owe you big.
Old 02-11-20, 02:08 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts

Rent an RV?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-11-20, 02:18 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,740 Times in 2,761 Posts
To me, that just sounds like a nightmare.

The RV thing sounds a lot better, but I don't think one is a good idea. One per family, is better.
Old 02-11-20, 02:20 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I certainly see what you mean. Maybe you can initiate some critical thinking by asking what the plan is in a non-judgmental way and whether they have any alternatives in mind if conditions aren't good. In the worst case, you'll probably survive and someone will owe you big.
The worst part is, this is all being done via group text so people can make their own conclusions about tone regardless of what you write.

The alternative is we do what we do for every family get together. I'd even be willing to open up our home, which means significant cleaning time and moving bike/guitar stuff out of the guest room. That's how every holiday goes lately.

EDIT: Her father's and our house are within 15 minutes of each other, so what I meant was there is plenty of time for us to stay inside and spend quality time together like we always do.
Old 02-11-20, 02:26 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Thanks for the link and the feedback!

If I go the dynamo route, it will be a PV-8 and likely a B&M headlight.

Main motivation for looking into something other than my current setup is to try out a headlight with a shaped beam, it just makes so much sense. Even if I don't go with a dynamo setup I would likely go with a B&M battery headlight for the lens alone. Plus, like you said, lots of them are designed with commuters in mind so reliability shouldn't be much of a concern.

I priced a few things out, and it looks like a dynamo setup would end up being 40-50% more expensive than a nice B&M battery light + Tiagra or 105 front hub.

We'll see how I feel when it comes time to actually build the wheelset. One advantage I have is a large handlebar bag that would make using a light with an external battery a lot more practical than if I had to strap it to a frame.
My headlight mounts to the brake caliper screw
But of course you folk run meat slicer brakes

Last edited by seedsbelize; 02-11-20 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-11-20, 02:28 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22586 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
There is a lot of surprisingly good airport food these days.
When we had a long layover at Gatwick on our way to/from Spain we were pleased with the food court options there.

It wasn't amazing but way better than offerings from a decade ago, for sure.
Old 02-11-20, 02:29 PM
MoAlpha
• —

The worst part is, this is all being done via group text so people can make their own conclusions about tone regardless of what you write.

The alternative is we do what we do for every family get together. I'd even be willing to open up our home, which means significant cleaning time and moving bike/guitar stuff out of the guest room. That's how every holiday goes lately.

EDIT: Her father's and our house are within 15 minutes of each other, so what I meant was there is plenty of time for us to stay inside and spend quality time together like we always do.
You're a good husband and will be rewarded in the next life if not in this.
Old 02-11-20, 02:34 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by datlas
When we had a long layover at Gatwick on our way to/from Spain we were pleased with the food court options there.

It wasn't amazing but way better than offerings from a decade ago, for sure.
We had a very good meal at some Mediterranean-themed place in, like, Charlotte, of all places, a couple of years ago on the way back from the Caribbean. My brother, who is a food professional, says that quite a few chefs from in-town restaurants are opening airport branches. Think about the market: An affluent and captive group with time to kill.
Old 02-11-20, 02:38 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts

My wife's family had a big get together a few years ago, and there were similar issues about where/how to do it. The solution was to rent a fairly large house in the mountains for a week. Everyone was free to come and go as they saw fit, and we arranged activities on-the-fly. It worked out well.
Old 02-11-20, 02:59 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
We had a very good meal at some Mediterranean-themed place in, like, Charlotte, of all places, a couple of years ago on the way back from the Caribbean. My brother, who is a food professional, says that quite a few chefs from in-town restaurants are opening airport branches. Think about the market: An affluent and captive group with time to kill.

weird. charlotte has the worst food choices of them all.
Old 02-11-20, 03:14 PM
MoAlpha
• —

weird. charlotte has the worst food choices of them all.
Might have been ATL.
Old 02-11-20, 03:23 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
My wife's family had a big get together a few years ago, and there were similar issues about where/how to do it. The solution was to rent a fairly large house in the mountains for a week. Everyone was free to come and go as they saw fit, and we arranged activities on-the-fly. It worked out well.
That's the thing. We do this all the time. Most of her family is in DFW with one sister and her family down in Austin. Here in Denton, her dad's house is on the south side and our's is on the north side. There is plenty of room at both places. We have had the Austin family stay with us for 3 or 4 days at a time if they aren't staying at their dad's house. We probably get together at minimum four times a year.

I think this has more to do with being their mother's birthday and this family has not experienced any close immediate loss. Their grandparents have passed, but were never super close because both parents were from large families. A big loss makes you do funny things. So people making half plans over group chat with both their emotions and what they assume of other people's emotions in the mix means decisions are not being made with absolutely sound logic.
Old 02-11-20, 03:49 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13707 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 2,502 Posts
let me rephrase. If it is the best airport food in the philly airport. I did a side by side comparison to all other restaurants in this fine establishment. Nothing comes close to quality and bang for the buck in quantity of food.
I’ve been here since 7 am, I know things.
That doesn't sound good.
Old 02-11-20, 04:01 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

On SU campus, in a coffee shop. They're playing music that their grandparents probably listened to when they were in college.
Old 02-11-20, 04:03 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

And there's a game at The Dome tonight and I found parking, on the street, near said café. On the first try.

#lucky
Old 02-11-20, 04:09 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I decided that today was the day to get serious about the daily caloric deficit again.

The hangries are real.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-11-20, 04:21 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I decided that today was the day to get serious about the daily caloric deficit again.

The hangries are real.
Ugh. I might be there very soon. Last week's riding was very lackluster because I knew it was all going to be fake miles. Did a easy ride on Sunday evening just to get the miles in. Weather is crap this week and this weekend is gonna be busy no matter what happens.
Old 02-11-20, 04:22 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by WhyFi

The hangries are real.
Don't hurt yourself.
Old 02-11-20, 04:23 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Because it's game day on campus, the grandparents are here too.
Old 02-11-20, 04:23 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Don't hurt yourself.
Oh, it's others that need to be concerned.
Old 02-11-20, 04:24 PM
abshipp 

I've had a headache all day.

Will a windy 30° ride help or make it worse?

​​​​​​Full story soon on your local news station.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.