Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Wanted - chromoly step through mtb (complete or frame only))

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 02-12-20, 08:55 AM
JosephLMonti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

So I'm looking for a step through mtb. There are plenty around but I want an all chromoly frame/fork and all I'm seeing is lower end high tensile steel or aluminum. I know a couple of brands put out all chromoly step through models in the late 80s and early 90s (Trek 830, Mongoose ATB, etc) but I'm having trouble locating any. So if you have one to sell or see one available, please pm me 😁
Old 02-12-20, 08:28 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
What is a step through MTB?

Have I seen one of these ?
Old 02-12-20, 09:15 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Are you referring to ladies frames which had a steep angled top tube?
Old 02-12-20, 09:18 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Old 02-13-20, 06:59 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
^^^That's a womens comfort bike.
Old 02-15-20, 06:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
Originally Posted by JosephLMonti
So I'm looking for a step through mtb. There are plenty around but I want an all chromoly frame/fork and all I'm seeing is lower end high tensile steel or aluminum. I know a couple of brands put out all chromoly step through models in the late 80s and early 90s (Trek 830, Mongoose ATB, etc) but I'm having trouble locating any. So if you have one to sell or see one available, please pm me 😁
Have you tried any of the many custom builders to get something you want. You are looking for something that doesn't really exist much. Sure some older rigid bikes with low end group sets are out there and there might be a few with some nicer stuff but nothing I would really want for modern riding. A custom builder can get you a bike that fits really well (since it is measured to you) and can have the low entry you want in nice steel with any mounts or oddities you might want.

Sklar, Chapman Cycles, Rodriguez, Bilenky, Waterford, Independent Fabrications, Retrotec and others could probably build you the bike of your dreams. It is worth it to own a really high end bike built for you and honestly if I could do it for every single bike I own I would do it in a heartbeat.
Old 02-17-20, 04:49 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
What you are looking for is not made. Details please. Are you actually mt biking on tech trails off road? Unable to swing leg over? Do tell.
Old 02-19-20, 10:57 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Rivendell is selling such bikes right now.

If you are looking vintage you could consider Cannondale. Around the time suspension and compact frames were arriving, they made some decently spec'd bikes that were not stepthrough but had the "delta" double triangle frame design that gave a lower top tube in smaller sizes.

Originally Posted by prj71
^^^That's a womens comfort bike.
You don't have to be snide every single time, you know.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-19-20 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-19-20, 11:30 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
They have one local here that's been up for a while. See if he would ship it to you...
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bop...068452058.html

Early Mongoose ATB - Mixte Style - $35 (lafayette / orinda / moraga)

image 2 of 8

Old 02-20-20, 03:38 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You don't have to be snide every single time, you know.
Not being snide. Just being factual of what that bike is that qclabrat posted. It's a womens comfort bike. Not a step thru mountain bike.
Old 02-20-20, 04:56 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Not being snide. Just being factual of what that bike is that qclabrat posted. It's a womens comfort bike. Not a step thru mountain bike.
Sorry. Nothing close to a comfort bike. Period correct mtb. It's a Trek 830 Mountain track. Looks to be about 1994-5 by this chart: Trek Bike Models by Year and Color

The step thru was just the female model of the entry level diamond frame mtb of the day. Same build and components for the most part. Solid but nothing special as with the men's 830.

That Mongoose looks nice though! Decent dropouts and fork ends.
The early mtb's were initially called all terrain bikes (ATB) so it would place that one as an early to mid 80's model.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 02-20-20 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-21-20, 08:43 AM
prj71

It's a comfort / hybrid bike. All you have to do is look at the handle bars. It has you in the upright position.

More weight on the front wheel = better steering control if you are actually using the bike for mountain bike purposes. You ain't gonna get that with that Trek 830 due to the upright position you will be in on the bike. And it will be horrible for climbing.

Last edited by prj71; 02-21-20 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-21-20, 09:58 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Ok. You can also say you sometimes ride a unicycle when you pop a manual if you want. People will roll their eyes but you can say it.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 05-20-20, 07:35 AM
JosephLMonti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Hey All - I put this post up and sort of forgot about it so apologies for the delayed response. Also, thanks for all the comments and feedback.

So in the end I went with a 98 GT Outpost Trail that has a chromoly fork and main triangle (hi-ten stays) and am reasonably pleased with the ride quality.

This one isn't mine but it's exactly the same

Darth Lefty was spot on in calling out Rivendell as this whole project was an attempt to imitate the Clem Smith Jr (Low) on the cheap. Clearly, my bike is not a Clem but it was $75 from CL, with and additional $25 in upgrades, so quite a big difference in price (Clems are about $2000 complete).

To answer Leebo's question, "yes" I ride it off-road on moderately technical trails. Rivendell has a great piece on the benefits of step through frames for off road use and I wholeheartedly agree with their reasoning. When combining my short stature (stand-over has always been an issue), aging body (swinging leg over top tube is not as easy as it used to be) and relatively tame riding style, step through for off-road use makes total sense for me.

Last edited by JosephLMonti; 10-30-20 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 11:50 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by JosephLMonti
Combing my short stature (stand-over has always been an issue), aging body (swinging leg over top tube is not as easy as it used to be) and relatively tame riding style and it makes total sense for me.
Sounds like a full suspension MTB would make the most sense for you.