Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help with Trek Bike Decision.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Help with Trek Bike Decision.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-20, 07:04 AM
heyitstay

Bikes: XDS Nadine 7sp Hybrid/Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with Trek Hybrid Bike Decision.

Hello!

I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe during these difficult times. I am getting ready to purchase a new hybrid bike from Trek and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. I am from Houston and bike an average of 3-8 miles when using it per outing and bike for fitness/recreational purposes. My budget is around $800. I want a comfortable ride, yet quick. I’m looking at the FX 3 Disk and the Dual Sport 3. While I will mostly be riding on roads, they are quite bumpy here. The FX 3 has 700x32c tires while the DS 3 has 700x40c. I’m not as well versed in bike options to know which would be better for me. Any help or suggestions with this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Taylor

Last edited by heyitstay; 04-06-20 at 10:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-06-20, 07:58 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
As a rule of thumb, thinner smoother higher pressure tires are generally faster than wider rougher lower pressure tires. But, you will also find that tire dimensions & descriptions are not exactly correct. Tires listed as 32mm can be up to 5mm larger after installation. It all depends on the manufacturer. In my experience the only tires that are close to actual size are the smaller more expensive ones intended for racing style bikes.

Last edited by ramzilla; 04-06-20 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-06-20, 08:08 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I'd get the DS 3 that has 700Cx40mm tires. If those tires aren't good enough, replace them with Rene Herse 38mm Barlow Pass tires. I use those on my (all) road bike, and they don't slow me down, even when run at a comfortable, low pressure.
Old 04-06-20, 08:12 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitstay
Hello!

I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe during these difficult times. I am getting ready to purchase a hybrid bike from Trek and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. I am from Houston and bike an average of 3-8 miles when using it per outing and bike for fitness/recreational purposes. My budget is around $800. I want a comfortable ride, yet quick. I’m looking at the FX 3 Disk and the Dual Sport 3. While I will mostly be riding on roads, they are quite bumpy here. The FX 3 has 700x32c tires while the DS 3 has 700x40c. I’m not as well versed in bike options to know which would be better for me. Any help or suggestions with this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Taylor
The DS 3 has a suspension fork with bigger tires and will likely be more a little more comfortable though quite a bit heavier (4-lbs) and more sluggish. If you’re doing mostly road, even bumpy ones, I would suggest the FX3. The bike should be very comfortable and fairly agile and can be made even faster and more comfortable by going with tubeless tires (has tubeless ready wheels) which roll faster and give you more comfort with less air pressure.
Old 04-06-20, 08:35 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitstay
... I am getting ready to purchase a hybrid bike from Trek ...
Does this mean that you are about to place an internet order to be delivered to your home? Or that you will be working through an authorized Trek dealer, who will assist you with setting up the bike (within your Governor's guidelines for non-essential businesses, etc.)? Or that you would buy used?

Every rider is different in terms of what riding position is most enjoyable. Six to eight miles is a long enough ride to be fun, and not so long that a more upright or more aggressive posture will make much difference. Also, 32mm versus 40mm isn't that big of a deal if you keep the pressures correct for the tire size and your weight. Myself, I'm more comfortable on an aggressively set up bike, so I'd go for the FX 7.3 hybrid. No need for the front suspension fork of the DS, it's just added weight for minimal functionality. But that's just me.

The answers to my questions above are material to the remainder of your thread.
Old 04-06-20, 10:41 AM
heyitstay

Bikes: XDS Nadine 7sp Hybrid/Commuter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Does this mean that you are about to place an internet order to be delivered to your home? Or that you will be working through an authorized Trek dealer, who will assist you with setting up the bike (within your Governor's guidelines for non-essential businesses, etc.)? Or that you would buy used?

Every rider is different in terms of what riding position is most enjoyable. Six to eight miles is a long enough ride to be fun, and not so long that a more upright or more aggressive posture will make much difference. Also, 32mm versus 40mm isn't that big of a deal if you keep the pressures correct for the tire size and your weight. Myself, I'm more comfortable on an aggressively set up bike, so I'd go for the FX 7.3 hybrid. No need for the front suspension fork of the DS, it's just added weight for minimal functionality. But that's just me.

The answers to my questions above are material to the remainder of your thread.
Hi!

Thanks you for the help. In response to your question, I am going to be buying the bike new directly from the Trek Dealer and it will be delivered to me. Since I am not able to see these bikes in person and personally ride them to get a feel for the difference I wanted to see what I should consider and if anyone has any suggestions or experience with the two bikes. My boyfriend recently bought a KHS Urban Xpress and I rode it to get an idea. The tires on it are 700x35c and I felt it was smooth enough for me.
Old 04-06-20, 10:57 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Three more post and you can post pictures. Post pictures or it never happened.

Old 04-06-20, 11:16 AM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
I used to have a Trek FX, one one of the ones with rim brakes. I don't think they've changed much since and it was a really good bike. Personally I found it was good for shorter rides of 50km to 60km. I found the flat handlebars didn't suit me for much longer. I remember the ride being fairly comfy and as you can see because it comes with front and rear rack mounts it gives you a lot of options should you want to do more with it in the future. It had fairly easy gearing so could wind up hills fairly well even with a bit of wight on the bike.

The FX in the photo is stock except for the racks, bags, bottles & cages & pedals.

Personally I prefer a bike with drop bars, but the FX is a good bike for a bike that's trying to be everything. It's just OK at everything. But being OK at everything isn't such a bad thing. That grey they did it in was a bit dull though.