Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking to get first road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-11, 02:16 AM
brtdud7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm currently at college and started riding a bike here, and really enjoy it. However, I ride an older bike and would like to get a nice road bike. When I say nice, I don't mean like 2 grand, I mean like maybe $700 or so

I was wondering if you guys have advice on either buying one of those entry level LBS road bikes (like a GMC denali) or maybe even buying on Craigslist, what I'd need to look for, like things they might try to screw me on? I don't know much about bike repair yet.

Here are a couple bikes I see on craigslist near me.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/2739845225.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/2731569181.html
Old 12-08-11, 03:42 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey there Brtdud7!

I say, rather than purchasing a used aluminum-framed bike that you have absolutely no idea about its riding history, you would be better off by focusing upon a brand new, solid, steel-framed road bike at the same price point. If you don't have a theft problem on your campus, then allow me to suggest the Jamis Satellite Sport road bike. The Satellite yields a dreamy ride and will last for decades, if kept dry and well-maintained. OTOH, if theft is a problem on your campus, then just keep your current bike and do a few upgrades after you paint it, this upcoming summer.

www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/satellite/12_satellitesport_gy.html

- Slim
Old 12-08-11, 04:10 AM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
You could consider watching ebay and craigslist for a nice (slightly) vintage road bike. I would rather focus on vintage quality, well cared for, than something of less quality that is a few years newer. If you watch for a while, you can find bikes that were barely used. The owners want to clean out their garages.

Just a thought.

If I find an interesting bike that I do not know much about, I post it on the forum. You will find out quickly if it is a well made, quality bike, with quality components.
Old 12-08-11, 05:10 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
First, welcome!

I recommend going to a bike shop and starting your search there. While it's true that you can often find higher-quality used bikes for less than a good new one, you first need to know what you're looking for and how to fix/maintain it. Going to a bike shop and buying a new bike ensures you get the right size bike (this really matters) and start out with all new parts. Most shops include a basic fitting and a couple of tune ups as part of the purchase price. Many shops also offer basic maintenance classes (fixing flats, making minor adjustments, etc.) as well.

Most of us buy our consumables (tires, tubes, chains and such) on line. DON'T try this for your first bike. It can work in the future when you know what you're looking for, though. Ditto for Craig's List - I bought my last bike on CL, but I knew what I was looking for.

Best of luck in your search!

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-08-11, 08:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Visit a few LBS and start taking test rides, this is especially important if you are new to road cycling.

There are plenty of deals to be had on new bike within your budget.
Old 12-08-11, 09:07 AM
phlydude

Bikes: none

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have a Performance Bike store near you, go check this one out:
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._20000__400306

One thing I would stray away from, especially if you will be riding around the college town, is a bike with a race design. Generally, if the top tube is straight, it is going to be more suitable for racing than cruising around town.