Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Talus 5.0 vs HardRock Sport Disc

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 09:47 PM
acjrocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking to get my first real bike. I've been using walmart/academy bikes most of my life but I want to take it to the next level. I've done some research and I've narrowed it down to the following 2 bikes. Given the choice, which is the better option? Since i'm new to real components, I have no idea which one has the better components.

What do you guys think?

Raleigh Talus 5.0 (click to view details)

Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (click here to view details)

I've read good things on the Hardrock Sport Disc on these forums but haven't heard much about the Talus 5.0. In fact, nothing at all, which maybe should be telling me something.

There is a big jump from the Hardrock Sport (440) to the Hardrock Sport Disc (550). Is that $110 difference worth it with the included disc brakes, or am I better served going with just the Hardrock Sport and spending those 110 on upgrading to some better brakes that are better than the Hardrock Sport Disc.

And finally, I haven't 100% ruled out going with the basic Specialized Rockhopper, which is 610. I have a feeling it's better than both the above bikes, but is it so much better that I should spring for that over the above 2 bikes?

In case it matters, I'm 5 9, 210lbs, and 28. No clue what level my local trails are rated at.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to spend some money on some good stuff!
Old 04-08-10, 12:56 AM
RatedZ

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by acjrocks
I'm looking to get my first real bike. I've been using walmart/academy bikes most of my life but I want to take it to the next level. I've done some research and I've narrowed it down to the following 2 bikes. Given the choice, which is the better option? Since i'm new to real components, I have no idea which one has the better components.

What do you guys think?

Raleigh Talus 5.0 (click to view details)

Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (click here to view details)

I've read good things on the Hardrock Sport Disc on these forums but haven't heard much about the Talus 5.0. In fact, nothing at all, which maybe should be telling me something.

There is a big jump from the Hardrock Sport (440) to the Hardrock Sport Disc (550). Is that $110 difference worth it with the included disc brakes, or am I better served going with just the Hardrock Sport and spending those 110 on upgrading to some better brakes that are better than the Hardrock Sport Disc.

And finally, I haven't 100% ruled out going with the basic Specialized Rockhopper, which is 610. I have a feeling it's better than both the above bikes, but is it so much better that I should spring for that over the above 2 bikes?

In case it matters, I'm 5 9, 210lbs, and 28. No clue what level my local trails are rated at.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to spend some money on some good stuff!
I rode a HardRock Sport Disc about a week ago and it was a fairly nice riding bike. I'm not sure about the strength, but I'd assume that due to its price it's on par with bikes like the Trek 4300, Cannondale F7-F9, and GT 3.0 Discs.

I did also take out a RockHopper, and it felt fairly light and comfortable. I'm 5'11, 213 lbs.

If you aren't set on those two bikes, we got my wife's 2010 GT 3.0 Disc for $380, and it retailed for $550. We bought at Performance Bike, which is a nationwide chain, I believe. Also consider some "left-overs" from 2009. Usually they can be had at a substantial discount, at least at Performance Bike, anyway...

Old 04-08-10, 05:31 AM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Hardrock is a solid bike but the fork is gonna be the weak link on it. The Hardrock has better brakes than the Talus. If your riding has lots of extended downhills the Avid brakes will be a plus. If you can ride both that would help. You can see which one feels better to you.
Old 04-08-10, 03:46 PM
acjrocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good input guys. Appreciate the comments.

As I did further search between these 2 bikes, I came upon a year old thread on here which had almost the same question as mine, but it compared 2009 model Talus 5.0 and 2009 model Hardrock. Everyone on that thread, an overwhelming vote, sided with Hardrock. I'll still need to try out both bikes, but Hardrock seems to have everyone's confidence.

What do you guys think of the Hardrock Sport disc brakes? Should I go for just the regular v brakes and pay 440 and save 110 with the purpose of upgrading the v's to discs, or should I spring for the the version with the disc brakes?
Old 04-08-10, 04:43 PM
RatedZ

Good input guys. Appreciate the comments.

As I did further search between these 2 bikes, I came upon a year old thread on here which had almost the same question as mine, but it compared 2009 model Talus 5.0 and 2009 model Hardrock. Everyone on that thread, an overwhelming vote, sided with Hardrock. I'll still need to try out both bikes, but Hardrock seems to have everyone's confidence.

What do you guys think of the Hardrock Sport disc brakes? Should I go for just the regular v brakes and pay 440 and save 110 with the purpose of upgrading the v's to discs, or should I spring for the the version with the disc brakes?
I would most definitely spring the extra $110 for the discs, especially if you plan on doing any type of mountain biking at all. Discs will stop you much more efficiently than V-brakes, especially in wet conditions.

Yes, you can upgrade in the future, but in the end it will probably cost you more than the $110 you would have shelled out. You may also want to recheck the specs on the model with V-brakes to the one with the discs, as the one with discs might have some slightly better/different components.

The Hard Rock is a good value for the money, and it's not super-heavy, either; always a plus!

Old 04-08-10, 06:45 PM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come on now, who is the trigger finger mod that cleaned up this thread before anything even got going??

To the OP.....You'll like the disk on the Hardrock.
Old 04-08-10, 09:42 PM
acjrocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting. Maybe I'll go disc then. I didn't know an upgrade would cost more than that. Although I am clearly leaning towards the Specialized, anyone want to recommend something else around this price range?
Old 04-08-10, 11:33 PM
RatedZ

Interesting. Maybe I'll go disc then. I didn't know an upgrade would cost more than that. Although I am clearly leaning towards the Specialized, anyone want to recommend something else around this price range?
Well, if I can get away with a suggestion without anyone jumping down my throat for making a suggestion, I'd look into a GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc $650 retail) or GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc ($550 retail).

We picked up a 3.0 for my wife. The 3.0 is a good beginner mountain bike, and prices at $550 retail. We picked it up from Performance Bike for about $380 last Saturday. I've been riding the Hell out of it, and I'm pleased with it. I'm yet to be off-road with it, aside from riding down the hill in our backyard, but it seems solid enough for some mild trail-riding. The nice thing is that all of the Avalanches have the same exact frame, and only the hardware is different, so upgrades are possible. If you do plan on upgrading in the future, my suggestion is to just purchase a bike with better parts to begin with, because it's going to be cheaper in the long run.

I also looked at the Trek 4300, Cannondale F7, Giant Yukon ($650 retail), and Fuji Nevada 1.0 ($650 retail). All of these bikes were pretty comparable with one another. I am not familiar with Jamis or Gary Fisher bikes, so I didn't bother looking at either one of them. I have read here more than a few times that Gary Fisher bikes seem to have weak frames, so I can't say I'm sorry I overlooked them (they are owned by Trek).

IMO, any of these bikes in the $500-$650 price-range are comparable to each other. I could probably be happy with any of them.

Old 04-08-10, 11:43 PM
mystolenbikes

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes get the disc brakes because upgrading will cost you heck of a lot more, just the simple fact that price of new rims and hubs will cost you whole lot more than $110 and I didn't even add the price of the disc brakes (front and back) and the labor for someone to put it together for you, unless you are good with wrench.
Old 04-09-10, 05:00 AM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RatedZ

We picked up a 3.0 for my wife. The 3.0 is a good beginner mountain bike, and prices at $550 retail. We picked it up from Performance Bike for about $380 last Saturday. I've been riding the Hell out of it, and I'm pleased with it. I'm yet to be off-road with it, aside from riding down the hill in our backyard............:

This made me LOL.....out loud!
Old 04-09-10, 05:19 AM
RatedZ

Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
This made me LOL.....out loud!
You didn't "LOL.....out loud" nearly as hard as I did when I saw this...

BTW, nice shirt!

Last edited by RatedZ; 04-09-10 at 06:35 AM.

Old 04-09-10, 07:06 AM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How 'bout the beard? I it macho?? I'm sure not as macho as downhilling in the back yard but still pretty macho.
Old 04-09-10, 10:34 AM
RatedZ

How 'bout the beard? I it macho?? I'm sure not as macho as downhilling in the back yard but still pretty macho.
No, what's macho is this fancy pic right here, and whadda ya know, there's that ratty old "General Lee" t-shirt again!

What's really macho is that rugged terrain you must have tortured yourself through! Who carried your bike?

Last edited by RatedZ; 04-09-10 at 11:15 AM.

Old 04-09-10, 05:47 PM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, what's macho is this fancy pic right here, and whadda ya know, there's that ratty old "General Lee" t-shirt again!

What's really macho is that rugged terrain you must have tortured yourself through! Who carried your bike?

That little kid carried it for me, it was a GT so it made it easy for him. That pic was taken on Bennet Gap, a super fun trail. That's kinda like my back yard. We had banjo music playing so the 01 shirt was in order.
Old 04-09-10, 06:30 PM
cryptid01
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm way more macho than the guy in the photos. I do have the same jersey though.
Old 04-09-10, 06:35 PM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you play banjo music too? Do you look as handsome in that shirt as that studly guy with the bush axe?
Old 04-09-10, 06:49 PM
RatedZ

That little kid carried it for me, it was a GT so it made it easy for him. That pic was taken on Bennet Gap, a super fun trail. That's kinda like my back yard. We had banjo music playing so the 01 shirt was in order.
You mean that isn't Brokeback Mountain? I guess you coulda fooled me!

Do you play banjo music too? Do you look as handsome in that shirt as that studly guy with the bush axe?
Where's Ned Beatty? Shouldn't you have been chasing him around in his underwear and yelling at him to squeal like a pig?

Old 04-09-10, 06:59 PM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You mean that isn't Brokeback Mountain? I guess you coulda fooled me!

Where's Ned Beatty? Shouldn't you have been chasing him around in his underwear and yelling at him to squeal like a pig?
I'm a fan of the kid on the bridge...I think he wears a trans am tee shirt.
Old 04-09-10, 09:14 PM
RatedZ

I'm a fan of the kid on the bridge...I think he wears a trans am tee shirt.
Hey, what's wrong with a T/A t-shirt? Everybody knows the spittin' chicken rules!

Now, I'm gonna have to go dig out my Knight Rider shirt.