Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Your 2015 Touring Plans? Brief tours, longer tours, all lengths, all destinations.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Your 2015 Touring Plans? Brief tours, longer tours, all lengths, all destinations.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 12:41 PM
Sangre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
leaving Toronto on April 1st. Gonna ride east till I hit ocean, circle the Cabot Trail , back across Nova Scotia, Ferry to Portland, then South along the coast until I either run out of money or get murdered. Wish me luck..

Last edited by Sangre; 01-11-15 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-09-15, 04:47 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
We had such a great time last summer that my friends and I are doing a repeat of our trip from Pittsburgh to Washington DC on the GAP - C&O Canal trails in May. That will take a week.

I don't have any other long trips planned yet, but considering a loop ride through Coastal NC and the Outer Banks, perhaps in the fall. If I can talk anyone else into joining me, I might also try to ride the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA and NC.

For shorter trips, I plan to ride Cycle NC's 3-day coastal tour in April and a weekend ride along the New River Trail in Western VA with my wife. My friends and I are also planning a long weekend trip to ride the Greenbrier Trail in WVA, probably in the spring.
The GAP was a nice ride for us last summer. I do however like the Erie Canal route much better and will be doing that in June. October will be the time to ride part of the Southern Tier from Ocala Fla. to Austin Tx. I'm figuring on 30 days for that one. No hurry at all on either trip.
Old 01-09-15, 05:16 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
The GAP was a nice ride for us last summer. I do however like the Erie Canal route much better and will be doing that in June.
Why do you like the Erie Canal route much more? I've only ridden the GAP, so I can't make a comparison.
Old 01-09-15, 05:51 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The Erie Canal trail is on my bucket list. Sounds like a great option for the heat of summer.
Old 01-10-15, 05:56 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by axolotl
Why do you like the Erie Canal route much more? I've only ridden the GAP, so I can't make a comparison.
There are a couple of things that put the Erie Canal above the GAP for me. If it rains, a rider can swing over to NY Rt 31 which is also Bike Route 5. The canal has so many more towns and cities along the route, most with wonderful histories not to mention places to get fresh food and often times inexpensive lodging for those days you don't want to camp.

I did extensive journals on both rides on my crazyguy page. Your welcome to compare for yourself.
HERE
Old 01-10-15, 09:22 AM
professorbob

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My wife and I didn't get a chance to do anything special for our 20th anniversary, so for our 21st, we'll do a self guided semi supported (they give you a map and carry the bags) tour of the Loire Valley.
Old 01-11-15, 10:46 PM
BBianchiSurfer

Bikes: Bianchi "Imola" upgraded with Shimano Ultegra components

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im touring from Oregon/CA border down hwy 1 to San Francisco this summer. Anybody else doing that route or planning on it for the summer? As of right now I'll be going solo
Old 01-12-15, 06:15 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by BBianchiSurfer
Im touring from Oregon/CA border down hwy 1 to San Francisco this summer. Anybody else doing that route or planning on it for the summer? As of right now I'll be going solo
That is a lovely route. I don't currently have real plans for this year, but a ride down the coast is always a possibility for me. I think about my last ride there often.

As far as riding alone... On the PCH you are typically not very alone. I camped with other cyclists almost every night and our group became good friends. We mostly didn't ride together, but did discuss where we would stop next and mostly stayed on the same schedule as a group camping together, with a few falling off and a few joining us as we went down the coast. That seems to just automatically happen there.
Old 01-12-15, 07:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by likebike23
Plan is to take some of the dirt roads that are in the D2R2 from Greenfield,MA up to Molly Stark state park in VT.
Really like D2R2. In '12 I did the metric. Last year I did the Green River Route to lunch and then returned on the metric finish including the climbing up to Apex Orchards for "apples with a view." I was a four-year Deerfield Boy (class of '83) so visiting the school is always fun.
Old 01-12-15, 07:19 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by bikemig
That sounds like a great trip. It's fun walking (or hopping) over the Mississippi river in Itasca State park.
We stayed in the HI Hostel there for two days while riding the Northern Tier. A park ranger told us that when things freeze, the rocks at the outflow point can get moved around. Every spring they rearrange the rocks to make it easier to walk across.

I am eyeing up a loop in SD and NW NB which includes some or all of the Mickelson Trail. I am also planning my third consecutive X-PA tour. This one would be from Erie home to Philly and include the Pine Creek and Lehigh Gorge trails. I have Good Friday off so I usually do a three-day that weekend, but Easter is so darn early this year I will have to see what the weather does.
Old 01-12-15, 08:13 AM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Really like D2R2. In '12 I did the metric. Last year I did the Green River Route to lunch and then returned on the metric finish including the climbing up to Apex Orchards for "apples with a view." I was a four-year Deerfield Boy (class of '83) so visiting the school is always fun.
I've really got to do the ride one of these days. It's in my backyard and I had never even heard of it until a few years ago. I think it would be kind of cool to be out there with all those other riders.
Old 01-12-15, 09:12 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by likebike23
I think it would be kind of cool to be out there with all those other riders.
It is. Did it both times with the GF. The first time we didn't realize that, for the most part, the route is not marked, and we hadn't brought cue sheet holders. That was sort of a pain, but we got through it. The worst part was the same final dirt section of the routes we have done. It's REALLY washed out and bumpy. One guy got really messed up the first year.

On the up side, they feed you really well. Dinner includes a free pint, and you get to keep the glass.
Old 01-12-15, 09:41 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
I normally only do 1-2 night credit card tours, and I had my first week long trip planned last year, and had to last minute cancel due to a work conflict. I plan to do it this spring.

The plan is to leave Syracuse, head to Vermont through the Adirondacks, ride down into Massachusetts, cross back into NY to visit my college son in Poughkeepsie, head down into PA, then back north through the Finger Lakes. The plan is 650 miles in 7 days, starting in the last week of April or first week in May, as soon as the ferry from Ticonderoga opens up.
Old 01-13-15, 12:10 AM
Arkadee

Bikes: Cannondale X6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A buddy and I are doing our second annual tour in August. We will be starting in Jasper Alberta, heading down the ice-fields parkway to Lake Louise and then around the Golden Triangle. Some major hills but incredible scenery all the way.
Old 01-14-15, 06:56 PM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
In 2013 I rode the Southern Tier self supported from San Diego to El Paso; returned to El Paso in 2014 and rode to New Orleans. I start from New Orleans in exactly five weeks to complete the Southern Tier at St Augustine. My original plan was to head south to Key West, but instead my wife and I are doing a Backroads tour in Champagne and Alsace this August. It will be her first tour, so we're doing a fully supported event. With luck she'll fall in love with touring and do a self supported tour with me in 2016.
Old 01-15-15, 02:23 PM
Lou Skannon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kettle Valley Rail Trail with a round trip by way of the Kootenay Pass. Looking forward to doing it in July.
Old 01-16-15, 12:44 AM
johnelliss
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not planned properly but thinking of going Spain for cycling holidays.
Old 01-17-15, 08:14 PM
BBianchiSurfer

Bikes: Bianchi "Imola" upgraded with Shimano Ultegra components

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right on staehpj1! Thank you for the advice. The last tour I did had two of my buddies with me so it was really nice to ride with friends. This time I'm hoping to meet some folks that have the same idea as me this summer (CA/oregon border to San Francisco)
Old 01-18-15, 05:32 AM
walksomemore

Bikes: Masi Premiare, Trek 520, '01 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am leaving in two weeks to do the ACA Florida Loop. Leaving St Augustine, south to Ft Lauderdale, then across to South Bay, Fort Myers, and back up to St Augustine. My first long trip.
We might continue from Ft Lauderdale down around Miami and to Key West, then Ferry back to Fort Myers before returning -- haven't decided yet.

Later, either TransAmerica trail in May or I am walking the Appalachian Trail end of March. Haven't decided yet.

Last trip - Mountains to Coast tour - Bike North Carolina - in the fall.

Biggest concern for FL trip: Do I pull my current Gatorskin 28c tires and replace with 32's or 35's, or not? And, do I bit the bullet and put fenders on? I welcome anyone with a long tour under their belt to thrash me and tell me what to do!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trekpic.jpg (99.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by walksomemore; 01-18-15 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-18-15, 05:51 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
My schedule is getting a little busy, or ambitious depending on how you look at it.
In April, I plan to ride the Gap/CO from Pittsburgh to Washington,
In May a local fundraiser overnight for the Kal Haven Trail,
In June a weekend to the lake for the Waterfront Film Fest,
Later in June Katy Trail from KC to St Louis,
July Home to central Illinois via the IM canal trail for a class reunion,
August Hopefully The Laurentians north of Montreal,
September I'm hosting a gravel ride and Art Prize trip at Yankee Springs.
October the Pennsylvania ride if it happens.
I'll probably work in a couple of charity rides in between somewhere.

Marc
Old 01-19-15, 08:35 PM
cruffatin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by professorbob
My wife and I didn't get a chance to do anything special for our 20th anniversary, so for our 21st, we'll do a self guided semi supported (they give you a map and carry the bags) tour of the Loire Valley.
That sounds nice, please let us know how it went. I'd like to do something similar in Europe in the future.

For now, I'm planning a short tour of Jeju Island in South Korea in February (250km around the island), and either a trip from Incheon to Busan (same country, 650km) or a tour of Kyushu in Japan in April. I'm in Korea now and wish I'd taken up cycling a few years ago...
Old 01-20-15, 01:39 PM
Carlp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My GF and I will be leaving in April for 6 month, all around Europe. We'll start from Rome, then Sardina, Corsa, France, a little bit of UK, Belgium, Germany, Swiss, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Croatia then back to Rome. All self supported. We are so thrilled to leave!
Old 01-20-15, 02:15 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Starting to plan a 6-8 week tour of the Canadian Maritime Provinces!
Old 01-29-15, 12:31 AM
Sangre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Starting to plan a 6-8 week tour of the Canadian Maritime Provinces!
When are you leaving? I'll wave as you pass me...
Old 01-29-15, 07:38 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Thinking August.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.