Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Are bike forums chronic touring forum posters representitave of common tourers?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Are bike forums chronic touring forum posters representitave of common tourers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 10:14 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
2200 miles
Wow, is that you?
Old 04-13-15, 11:29 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I think this forum represents a pretty good cross section of the bike tourers I know and have met on the road.

Some of us don't have a TV, and this formum is entertaining, and sometimes even helpful!

I've met at least a dozen crazyguyonabike journalers, and a couple forum members while on tour. And yes, some of us actually tour

Last edited by Doug64; 04-13-15 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-13-15, 04:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
You cannot call yourself a bike tourer if you are not a member of this forum...Just kidding ; )

Some people like to post online and others don't. However I think in my short time here there is a pretty ding dang good cross section of random tourists. This is just one of the billions of forums on the internets and while it is a very fine one I am sure there are folks who are on others or just aren't really the internet types. Let's face it we are a freakin' weird bunch of people. Anyone dumb enough to pack all of their shiz on a bike and ride it long distances when there are perfectly good cars, trains, buses, planes and other forms of easier transportation, must be whacky.
Old 04-13-15, 04:38 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
You'll get no argument from me. My touring bike is a bikeforums-approved custom brazed dynamo powered drop bar ten speed triple bar end shifted 19 gear inch fendered v-braked Mavic A719 rimmed 700c x 35 Schwalbe tired leather saddled wonder machine with a mix of carefully selected mountain and road components, with a rear wheel built with thinner gauged radially laced non-driveside spokes to optimize tension! And I have a carbon seat post and carbon stem spacers! This is my hobby and I'm clearly obsessed.
You know what they say. Pics or it didn't happen . . .
Old 04-13-15, 04:48 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Buffalo Buff
When I did my first tour I didn't research anything.

I just took my hiking pack from my backpacking adventures and loaded it with about 35lbs of gear, hopped on my knobby tired suspension mountain bike, and rode 800 mils across the country.
ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Did the same thing. Difference has been out of the three trips I've been on, 2700 miles , 1700 miles and 5200 miles, I've used the backpack on each and everyone of them. The only place I might not like the backpack would be around the desert, not sure on that though...haven't been there yet.
Old 04-13-15, 06:01 PM
Steve0000

Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
My first tour was a short one on a 10 speed road bike, narrow tyres, one water botttle carrier, toe clips, cheap panniers which curled into the spokes on the rear wheel, heels hitting the rear panniers, very sore rear from the saddle and little planning of route.

Many years later and lots of tours, I have progressed to Surly disc LHT, Tubus rack, Ortlieb panners and handlebar bag, cleated shoes, Brooks saddle and upgraded tent, sleeping bag and clothes to better fit touring needs. I don't obsess about gear but have naturally progressed toward better gear as experience mounts. If my advice on what gear to consider appears obsessive, then it is because I have been there, done that and learnt. I realise that most gear can be used to tour on or with, but the better options make it more comfortable and enjoyable overall.

I would not want to go back to my original touring setup...
Old 04-13-15, 07:33 PM
Yan 

Originally Posted by bikemig
you know what they say. Pics or it didn't happen . . .

Attached Images
Old 04-13-15, 07:47 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Very cool even if it's a non drive side pic and a really small one to boot,
Old 04-13-15, 10:28 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shipwreck
So whats the difference between those who post here and them?
Forums are like the local coffee shop. A place to solve the world's problems with no resort to gunfire, usually. In the meanwhile, you pick up a lot of tips, and with experience, get to share your own. Of course, many are not the coffee shop types, so stay off the forums.

Being the social type, I have several forum 'cups' a day. I actually do get out and feed the addiction, next one in May.
Old 04-14-15, 04:24 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Both these resonate with me.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Get Out There On the road and find out..

In Astoria Oregon I see Several Hundred Touring cyclists passing through town every year .. I talk about what I see.

(@ LBS I box up some Bikes that have crossed the Continent, to be shipped eastward For the Riders to their Homes )

This forum seems to have people not good on independent problem solving Outsourcing the Deccisionns Online,

They may be less well equipped for Adventurous touring destinations .. But at least You Can Try.
That's a good way of describing the current method of interacting with others -- perhaps it's the day-care syndrome, where people cannot make decisions for themselves unless they are in the company of others.
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
Forums are like the local coffee shop. A place to solve the world's problems with no resort to gunfire, usually. In the meanwhile, you pick up a lot of tips, and with experience, get to share your own. Of course, many are not the coffee shop types, so stay off the forums.

Being the social type, I have several forum 'cups' a day. I actually do get out and feed the addiction, next one in May.
Yep. And I bet you dare to go to other forum "coffee shops" from time to time. And I bet there are other forum members hanging out there, too.

I also have to say that for those of us who have done a lot of touring, we are sort of putting back into the community what we have learned. Of course, it could be interpreted as just being an exercise in ego, and showing off how much we know. But I have learned a few things here, and have acted on them. And I hope some have learned from my experiences, too.
Old 04-14-15, 05:41 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
...Of course, it could be interpreted as just being an exercise in ego, and showing off how much we know....
And this statement resonates with me. Good point, Rowan.
Old 04-14-15, 06:04 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
When I got back into touring in my 50's I just went to REI and bought a bike plus some fill-in on my backpacking gear, did a bit of reading on crazy-guy site, and hit the road. After that I was hooked. I really didn't become aware of this site till after I got back. Since that time I've accumulated 15,000+ touring miles on 7 long tours. So personally I consider myself a doer. But I do enjoy talking about my touring hobby and that includes shop-gear-talk.

Most people on the road are out for a one-off experience and don't consider touring a hobby. Touring cyclists are a diverse group, with the only commonality that most are in their 20's or 50+ age wise. One of the fun things is when you meet a fellow touring cyclist on the road, no matter what age, background, or nationality we are all family in spirit.

Posters on here are a small subset of a small eclectic group that want to ride their bike day-after-day to some destination --> just because.
Old 04-14-15, 07:37 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan

Looks good.

On one of my bikes I also have the 17 degree stem turned so that it is horizontal, I like the looks of that better, it is a more classic sort of look.

But why are you in your lowest gear when the road looks that flat? Or was the cliff that you just climbed up behind you when you took the photo?

Those endless road photos do make the imagination wander a bit.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP3534.jpg (55.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-14-15, 07:44 AM
Cyclesafe

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP's observation squares with mine. I have never met anyone on the road who admits to posting either here or CGOAB. I've been a gear head; had the conventional best circa 2006, but replaced it as needed with more run-of-the-mill stuff since then. Because once you have good enough, it's good enough.

This forum is an echo chamber, with many posters incredibly ego-invested in their on-line presence.
Old 04-14-15, 08:21 AM
Lou Skannon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never met any one on the road who admits to being a member of this forum and I deny any knowledge of it, when asked. Great.
Old 04-14-15, 08:49 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Those who do do; those who don't write about it,

Hmmm. Commas.
Old 04-14-15, 10:28 AM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, forums are an ego trip. Everybody loves giving advice and talking about themselves. Same at the coffee shop. Outlets for sociable people.

The key to club membership is not getting too far out of the mainstream, and not dominating the conversation. Listen more, talk less, laugh often.
Old 04-14-15, 11:58 AM
Yan 

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Looks good.

On one of my bikes I also have the 17 degree stem turned so that it is horizontal, I like the looks of that better, it is a more classic sort of look.

But why are you in your lowest gear when the road looks that flat? Or was the cliff that you just climbed up behind you when you took the photo?

Those endless road photos do make the imagination wander a bit.

That photo is shot at 18mm focal length. It's shot looking back at the way I came. That gentle hill you see in the photo is actually a foreshortened climb up a massive sand dune. It is extremely steep. I know it's hard to believe looking at the photo, but believe me, it's just an optical illusion. Ultra wide lenses do that. The whole desert ride was a rolling hills nightmare. You can just make out the previous hill in the distance, about four kilometres away.
Old 04-14-15, 12:17 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
Yeah, forums are an ego trip. Everybody loves giving advice and talking about themselves. Same at the coffee shop. Outlets for sociable people.
By their nature lone cyclists would not likely fit into this type of sociable category. They may do some research online and pick up info from hits to the forum but are probably not candidates to join in order to post. I would guess if the question about forum membership or familiarity is posed to cyclists traveling as a group, one or more may be likely to give an affirmative answer.

Most of the bike tourists I've encountered were traveling solo or maybe as a pair and their interests centered more around the freedom and experience as a whole rather than any concerns over the "proper" equipment or methods that they would join a forum to contemplate or agonize over.

I think as people develop experience they are more likely to find outlets like this to share it.
Old 04-14-15, 01:19 PM
tom cotter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The internet is a resource. As is this forum. it is the collected wisdom of those who have done it and chose to share that experience here.

Using the internet is a tool. Though some people will never think to use it. Not searching the web for information about major purchases, vacations, or how to fix a leaky faucet is, IMO, akin to taking a road trip without a map. Forget a GPS, just paper map! Yet everyday, people do this. **********??

That they tour by bike without ever hearing of Bike Forums, or CGOAB, two top returns on GOOGLE, is not an indictment of the people here. If anything, it tells you something about the people you are talking to. That could range from free spirit to not very resourceful. You be the judge.
Old 04-14-15, 01:30 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got to thinking this today as I was out for a ride and ran into a cross country tourer. Talked for a bit, asked if they needed anything. Casually asked if they used bike forums. The answer, as almost always, was no. I ask almost every fellow bicycle tourist this. Almost all tell me no, most have seen it but never posted, some say that they asked some questions before their first tour, about their bike, gear, the standard new to touring stuff. The few who have used bike forums say that they just use it to research topics, reading old threads. Never run into a crazy guy user either. Just People who have gotten on their bike with some stuff and gone.

While I have only met and asked maybe thirty people, it makes you realize that for every one person who asks "can I tour on this bike that was not meant for touring", or those who obsesses about tents, gear, what type of shifters, pedals, or saddle and post their opinions and experiences on such over and over here, there are many, many more who just do it in whatever fashion. About half of those I talk to are on dedicated touring bikes or good MTB/hybrid conversions, the other half on anything from newer or older road bikes not meant for more than seat bag but with a variety of carrying systems, to old sears free spirits with milk crates and wald baskets. A lot of them know NOTHING about what kind of crank they have or tires they are running.

So whats the difference between those who post here and them? there is a wide variety of techniques, philosophies, and opinions represented here, but that's just it. Your here, posting about it. Their not. This is not really a question that has a definitive answer, I realize, but it still interests me.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ___________________
I did ride half a day with someone who is a touring poster, and a nice guy both in person and on the forums, but it was before I started reading them myself. So hi, Robow.
Forums are intellectual community places for people to gather and share information. And usually that means talking about gear, because this is where you usually get mutual consensus.
There are people who simply want to get out there and experience life on a bike. You may get people who are on a tight budget, middle class (though that's dissappearing) and then the rich. Their emphasis is on experience. To live life to the fullest. I've met a few of these people and they are happy and not so overly materislistic either. All they want is enjoy life and they have so much experience to share. I like listening to people who talk about their adventures in far away lands. Some of these people blog to share their experiences, but I know I don't. I prefer to share them over a campfire sipping my tea with others.

You have to give people on the road the right to choose if they want to learn from the forum and be well informed or learn from their mistakes and eventually be well informed.

Last edited by pacificcyclist; 04-14-15 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 01:33 PM
Flyboy718

Bikes: 1986 Univega Gran Rally 1993 Univega Gran Premio 1995 Univega Alpina 501 Univega Nuovo Sport Univega Viva Sport

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I got to thinking this today as I was out for a ride and ran into a cross country tourer. Talked for a bit, asked if they needed anything. Casually asked if they used bike forums. The answer, as almost always, was no. I ask almost every fellow bicycle tourist this. Almost all tell me no, most have seen it but never posted, some say that they asked some questions before their first tour, about their bike, gear, the standard new to touring stuff. The few who have used bike forums say that they just use it to research topics, reading old threads. Never run into a crazy guy user either. Just People who have gotten on their bike with some stuff and gone.

While I have only met and asked maybe thirty people, it makes you realize that for every one person who asks "can I tour on this bike that was not meant for touring", or those who obsesses about tents, gear, what type of shifters, pedals, or saddle and post their opinions and experiences on such over and over here, there are many, many more who just do it in whatever fashion. About half of those I talk to are on dedicated touring bikes or good MTB/hybrid conversions, the other half on anything from newer or older road bikes not meant for more than seat bag but with a variety of carrying systems, to old sears free spirits with milk crates and wald baskets. A lot of them know NOTHING about what kind of crank they have or tires they are running.

So whats the difference between those who post here and them? there is a wide variety of techniques, philosophies, and opinions represented here, but that's just it. Your here, posting about it. Their not. This is not really a question that has a definitive answer, I realize, but it still interests me.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ___________________
I did ride half a day with someone who is a touring poster, and a nice guy both in person and on the forums, but it was before I started reading them myself. So hi, Robow.
Good post. I find that I use forums for A LOT of things. I have A TON of hobby's. Biking happens to be one of them. I am a member of probably 20 different forums, all but maybe two of them with the same user name. I both hate forums and love forums. You have the folks that probably have never done what they are talking about and are just repeating what they see as a standard answer over and over again. Then you have the ones that actually do know what they are talking about and give good advice. I said all that to say this...I think myself, I lean too heavily on forums information instead of just going out and doing. What did people do before forums? Just like you said, people tried different things and used what they had and they still do...the people that don't use forums. Whatever you do, don't take what you read as gospel, research it to validate it. And don't get bogged down and not do something or try something just because you did a search on a well known forum and nothing popped up.
Old 04-14-15, 01:39 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Sort of the definition of hobby, right? Something you obsess over. I enjoy going deep into experimentation and developing an expertise in a topic I like.
Several friends who have observed the depths of my hobby obsessions --have suggested my next hobby should be investing money on Wall St. Not sure I like money enough to go in THAT direction.

Last edited by dbg; 04-14-15 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 10:03 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Hey Shipwreck,
I'm going to be touring down in your "neck of the woods" starting next week so could you please flatten out a few of those "little hills" down there for me? You ought to think about joining us, it's quite the eclectic group. There will be about a dozen of us so I'll pose your question to them as to who ever wastes their time on this forum but I can tell you that for the most part, this group is well equipped and experienced but we could sure use another vintage bike to round out the group.
Old 04-14-15, 10:38 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
No. Common tourers, even in many cases spectacular ones, are often one-off or a few year offs. But for others touring is a long term hobby. There are other hobbies like Piloting and rock climbing, and nobody seems overly surprised that there are people in those activities who take them seriously, and pay attention to their gear. And one reason for the difference in perception is that much touring is non-dramatic, made up of skills that rarely make an action montage in a movie. Stuff kids master like sleeping, riding a bike, and looking around at the world in wonder.

But it can be taken a lot further.

These threads are largely the temps wondering about the lifers, but it really isn't that difficult to figure out. Maybe in asking the question temps are discovering a few things they didn't know until they came here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.