Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Dogs ??

Old 06-01-15, 02:56 PM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Another good reason to carry a full size frame pump.
Old 06-01-15, 08:10 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Dogs improve your sprinting skills. Avoid stopping if you can. My experience thats where it can get ugly. Fumbling with pepper spray bottle and trying to spray a dog a good way to end up in a crash. Only stop if no other choice. Fighting a mean dog and dealing with the owner when your trying to hurt poor Fido isnt any fun

Old 06-01-15, 08:34 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
I'm surprised at how few dog problems I encounter in the rural deep South. I suspect it has to do with there being relatively a lot of riders around here. At least a few of them likely call animal control when bothered, so dog owners are perhaps well informed that they must keep their dogs contained as the law requires.

But the few I have encountered definitely improve my sprinting. A neighbor whose dogs are fenced must have had a hole develop. He's about halfway up what is a somewhat long hill (for these parts) and when those dogs got loose one day I climbed the last part of that hill at about twice the normal speed.
Old 06-02-15, 12:23 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
splash gravy on your partner's leg.

else toss cats.
Old 06-02-15, 12:41 PM
YouthInAsia
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Please, can we keep away from suggestions of violence to people's pets?
When people fail to properly, lawfully, restrain their dogs, and the dog becomes a threat, NO. When chased, I generally stop, turn around, and yell at the dog as loudly as possible, hoping the idiot owner hears me and that I scare off the dog. But if that tactic doesn't work, and I'm feeling threatened, I treat the situation the same as if a person was threatening me with bodily harm. Screw the dog. Violence is the answer in that situation as far as I'm concerned. I always carry a knife.
Old 06-02-15, 12:45 PM
mrfreezesdefy3

Bikes: 2016 giant advanced carbon disc bike ,w HED belgiums,dt swiss 350 hubs,all new ultegra drive train etc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a problem with a big lab on a route home ,and his owner was a georgia state patrol ,the dog would always come out in the rd ,and he lived on a slight incline , next time I went by his dog came out
I UN CLIPPED AND FED HIM ALL 13 INCHES OF MY RIGHT FOOT
He dont chase me no more.
Old 06-02-15, 01:21 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Sure, if peoples' pets can agree to not be violent with us. I like dogs as much as anyone; but I don't abide by them attacking us on the road. When they do that, they are a weapon aimed at us by the dog's owner. Dealing with the owner comes second after disabling the weapon.
Old 06-02-15, 01:43 PM
YouthInAsia
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrfreezesdefy3
I UN CLIPPED AND FED HIM ALL 13 INCHES OF MY RIGHT FOOT He dont chase me no more.
I like that strategy. And maybe if the owner kept a better eye on his dog, his poor dog wouldn't sustain injury. Too bad the owner wasn't fed your right foot too.

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
When they do that, they are a weapon aimed at us by the dog's owner. Dealing with the owner comes second after disabling the weapon.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 06-02-15, 01:47 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Only sure way to deal with aggressive dogs is...........lock & load!

And

It's called self defense.

I'm dead serious.....

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Last edited by Nightshade; 06-02-15 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-02-15, 03:17 PM
sarah morin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do always have contact with dogs and I have a brilliant idea to get rid of them. When you're facing a dog attack all what you have to do is to get off the bike and put it in front of him. He'll be afraid because it's big and he'll think it's a weapon.
Old 06-02-15, 05:14 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
I think all cyclists have to learn to pedal with one leg while kicking with the other,, when I HAVE A PROBLEM LIKE THAT I NEVER GET OFF MY BIKE
Old 06-02-15, 05:20 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
dog threads seem to never end up well. Can we keep this one under control please?

And from what I've heard, you should yell, "GET OFF THE COUCH"
Old 06-02-15, 05:26 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
dog threads seem to never end up well. Can we keep this one under control please?

the reason the last part of my post was in caps was because I accidently hit the caps button , there was no change in attitude ,just my laziness and not writing it over ,,,,,,
Old 06-02-15, 05:39 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Just don't buy the Pied Piper Dog Whistle
You don't want every dog in the state following you.

I love dogs. I've kept dogs ever since I've been an adult -- usually two at a time because there's nothing a dog likes better than a dog to call his own. That being said, a fast, medium to large sized dog can be a serious problem for a cyclist particularly if there is a pack of them. Depending on the breed, the dogs may just love the chase or they may view the cyclist as prey which needs to be brought down. I've had the experience of being chased by a pack with the fastest and most aggressive trying to take a bite out of the front tire. Veered into him and ran over his foot. He didn't like that. It was a dangerous situation. The dogs' owners were milling around drinking beer and getting a good laugh out of watching their dogs chase the old white guy on the bicycle. I don't ride there anymore.

Last edited by desconhecido; 06-02-15 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-02-15, 05:46 PM
desconhecido 

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen

I yell, "SIT." Or "SIE'NTESE." Depending.
Old 06-03-15, 08:42 AM
johnbort2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in rural Ohio. My strategy is to yell at the dog and say "NO, go home and point" ...If they keep pursuing and get within range, they get sprayed with pepper spray. I also keep a glock 42 in the cell phone bag in front of me, as some people around here might try to kill you if they see you spray their dog. It sounds crazy and paranoid, I know, but I think this is where the movie Deliverance was inspired by...lol. I hesitate posting, as I know some people abhor the thought of carrying a gun.(don't want to start a debate) I have training and license to carry..I will leave it at that. The simple fact of the matter is that, if they let their dog run loose, they probably don't have a lot of sense. I am usually out where there the cops would never be able to get there in time to protect me or my family on rides, so I take that responsibility very seriously.
If I do have an encounter with a loose dog, I remember the address and report them..immediately, so that it goes on record. No talks with the owner, no notes, just call the sheriff. I have been told that they get a warning, so you may get attacked again before they can do anything.
I have owned all types of dogs (and cats) all my life. I love animals, but these animals are owned by those that don't care enough to keep them safe. We have every right, as taxpayers to ride the road unmolested from point a to point b.
Old 06-03-15, 09:19 AM
yugdlo

Bikes: 1975 motobecane Grand jubilee, and a rescued 1984 Raliegh Marathon, that my daughter is using at college

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please, can we keep away from suggestions of violence to people's pets?[/QUOTE]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
harsh language.jpg (68.1 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-03-15, 09:24 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa
I've had luck giving the dog a quick spray in the face from my water bottle. That usually causes them to stop for an instant, enough time to get away.
This has worked for me in the past too. Pepper spray as others have mentioned is unnecessary and cruel, IMHO.
Old 06-03-15, 10:22 AM
Ronno6

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
I got nipped on the ankle by one of the 3 pit bulls that were chasing me.
I called the sheriff.................

At any rate, the stopping tactic is fine if confronted by a single hound.
More than that can outflank you if you are stationary.
Dogs, like wolves, hunt in packs are tactically savvy.

The deputy recommended pepper spray, but I have read that some dogs go thru that no problem.
I think I will try the electronic deterrent.

As for not hurting other people's pets...............if they intend to hurt me, I will return the favor!
Old 06-03-15, 10:34 AM
johnbort2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ronno6
As for not hurting other people's pets...............if they intend to hurt me, I will return the favor!
Exactly. If the owner is letting their dogs loose THEY are the ones getting their pets hurt and or killed by a passing car, as well as breaking the law. As a noob here, I don't want to make a bad first impression. Any one who knows me would probably say I am a kind person and animal lover. I just happen to have to deal with this a lot and am sick of irresponsible dog owners in this area. Tried the "water in the face" before and that did not work on an angry german shepherd...he came within inches of my pedals before he ran out of steam.

Last edited by johnbort2; 06-03-15 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-03-15, 10:51 AM
johnbort2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OMG yugdlo...we live in the same county. Are you in Eaton!? PM me if you want to ride sometime!

Originally Posted by yugdlo
[/QUOTE]
Old 06-03-15, 10:56 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
This has worked for me in the past too. Pepper spray as others have mentioned is unnecessary and cruel, IMHO.
I don't figure the dog is intending to be kind to you....cruel is a value judgement and you are entitled to yours for your use. Myself, I intend to do what ever it takes for me to ride away unhurt.
Old 06-03-15, 10:57 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by yugdlo
[/QUOTE]

PETS should remain in the house or the yard.

The Sheriff told us if the dog is in the roadway. It then becomes my dog.

Old 06-03-15, 11:27 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by obed7
I don't figure the dog is intending to be kind to you....cruel is a value judgement and you are entitled to yours for your use. Myself, I intend to do what ever it takes for me to ride away unhurt.
Water bottle squirt has always worked for me. I see no reason to inflict any further pain on an animal than necessary, regardless of it's intentions towards me.
Old 06-03-15, 11:37 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Water bottle squirt has always worked for me. I see no reason to inflict any further pain on an animal than necessary, regardless of it's intentions towards me.
I have no problem with that at all...that is a judgement call on your part, and worked for you...but not something that you have a right to impose on others. Others have experienced that technique fail for them and do what they judge to be the thing to do. For me just putting the bike between myself and the dog has worked, and I will do that first... but if that fails, I will take what ever measures I feel are necessary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.