Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Gripshift or triggers?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Gripshift or triggers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-16, 05:20 PM
northernlights

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gripshift or triggers?

I replaced my gripshift with triggers but I don't know why all bikes don't just come with trigger shifters since they are the same in price, around $20 to $30 on Amazon. It would have saved me the time and money of a replacement. Gripshifters are pretty terrible. I hate that you have to loosen your grip to change gears. At speed it forces you to slow down to change gears to avoid the potential safety issue. Triggers are just a lot quicker and more precise. They feel very easy and natural to use while gripshifts are more awkward to handle. I don't see any advantage of the latter.
Old 07-31-16, 05:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A Lot has to do with Which grip shifter make and model you Have, and are speaking about.

I still use the standard 2 cable Rohloff grip shifter, myself.. though there are other German companies making compatible alternatives.
Old 07-31-16, 05:41 PM
northernlights

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried out about half a dozen different gripshifts at the bike shop, and there wasn't a difference. Triggers are often found in low end to midrange hybrid and mountain bikes, but for some reason not on folders which almost always come with gripshifts except on the higher end models.
Old 07-31-16, 06:15 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
It is thought by the bicycle marketing gurus that spec bikes the average buyer is to stupid to use a trigger shifter. Of course they probably don't ride a bike. Roger
Old 07-31-16, 06:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Meeting target price point is usually king. and they, buying by the truck load, get better deals than you do, even on Amazon.

so did you have the shop change your shifters to meet your needs?

I doubt they will hire you as the new Product Manager to 'fix' the company that makes the Bikes ..

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-31-16 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-31-16, 08:03 PM
northernlights

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
It is thought by the bicycle marketing gurus that spec bikes the average buyer is to stupid to use a trigger shifter. Of course they probably don't ride a bike. Roger
Probably.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Meeting target price point is usually king. and they, buying by the truck load, get better deals than you do, even on Amazon.

so did you have the shop change your shifters to meet your needs?

I doubt they will hire you as the new Product Manager to 'fix' the company that makes the Bikes ..

./.
Then explain why you commony see trigger shifters on $199 bikes at Walmart and Target oh wise one.
Old 07-31-16, 08:48 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grip shifters are simple. Much more simple than a trigger shifter. A cheap grip shifter is a few molded pieces of plastic where every trigger shifter has cast (machined?) metal parts.

I hate most cheap grip shifters. Most of them have hard to change cables, which is what I usually have to do. On the other hand, trigger shifters will often get "gunked up." and stop working. Luckily, if you know what you're doing they're easy to fix most of the time. (Basically what happens is the pawl part of the ratcheting system will refuse to spring BACK and catch the ratchet. A bit of wd 40 and elbow grease will make them work again. There are usually 2 pawls.)

NICE grip shifters are exactly that, nice. You say that you hate having to loosen your grip to shift with grip shifters. I think exactly the opposite for properly installed grip shifters. I wouldn't mind having a nice FD grip shifter on my mountain bike BECAUSE i don't have to loosen my grip to use it.
Old 07-31-16, 09:01 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I like triggers. I liked the really old Sach's grip shifters, then the crappy Gripshifter brand took them over, and I could not stand the grip shifters they sold.

FYI triggers are necessary while touring. Your wrist will feel the pain on a tour if you use grip shifters. I heard that triggers allow you to shift and brake at the same time, however I never did that ( seems unnatural to me ).

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 07-31-16, 09:15 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
I've been using 2013 Shimano SLX triggers and 105 5800 brifters. can't imagine using or wanting anything else. smooth, quick, silent, accurate, ergonomic.

for going off the grid and utmost reliability, barend shifters.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 07-31-16 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-31-16, 10:03 PM
northernlights

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube

FYI triggers are necessary while touring. Your wrist will feel the pain on a tour if you use grip shifters.
For sure, trying to ride long distances with a gripshift is a good way to get hand cramps and possibly lead to carpal tunnel.

Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
I've been using 2013 Shimano SLX triggers and 105 5800 brifters. can't imagine using or wanting anything else. smooth, quick, silent, accurate, ergonomic.

for going off the grid and utmost reliability, barend shifters.
Yup. I can never go back to gripshifting after using triggers. Gripshifts feel like work to use but triggers are fun to shift and make me enjoy riding my bike more.

Last edited by northernlights; 07-31-16 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-01-16, 04:17 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Most folding bikes come with grip shifts because they protrude less than triggers and this makes them one less element to worry about when folding/unfolding. It's simply more difficult that they get tangled with cables or scratch the frame.

I've had bikes with grip shift in the past and they were a non-issue for me, although I prefer triggers since I feel they are more comfortable and precise.
Old 08-01-16, 09:50 AM
towndock

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '79 Fuji S12 Ltd, '03 Dahon Helios XL, '09 Giant Defy

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've switched two bikes from grip to triggers, including my Dahon Helios XL. I was reluctant at first - it was a recommendation by my excellent LBS mechanic after a grip shifter broke.

He was right- I love 'em. Triggers are more fun and feel more like an extension of your body.
Old 08-02-16, 11:43 AM
northernlights

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
Most folding bikes come with grip shifts because they protrude less than triggers and this makes them one less element to worry about when folding/unfolding. It's simply more difficult that they get tangled with cables or scratch the frame.

This explanation makes sense in theory, but doesn't hold up in practice. The new trigger shifter I put on my Tern (to replace the twister) doesn't interfere with the folding in any way. The stock brake levers stick out a lot more than the trigger, and those has never been an issue either.
Old 08-02-16, 07:15 PM
northernlights

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I also hate the type of trigger shifter that has a trigger right next to the brake lever.
Ditto, that's why I don't like the Shimano design which is thumb and index finger operated. But SRAM triggers are thumb-only operated which makes a lot more sense to me because it doesn't interfere with braking. But my RD wasn't compatible with SRAM so I had to swap that out too.
Old 08-03-16, 12:56 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by northernlights
This explanation makes sense in theory, but doesn't hold up in practice. The new trigger shifter I put on my Tern (to replace the twister) doesn't interfere with the folding in any way. The stock brake levers stick out a lot more than the trigger, and those has never been an issue either.
It doesn't hold up in your Tern, and it doesn't hold up on my Mu P27 either, but this doesn't mean that this is the case with all folding bikes.

A couple of years ago, I had a Monty F19 bike that, when I tried to replace it's stock grip shift, I found it was impossible to fold without damaging either the trigger shifter or the frame.
Old 08-03-16, 08:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

For those with dueling anecdotes .. stand back to back , take 10 paces , turn and fire.
Old 08-03-16, 08:39 AM
northernlights

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn't hold up in your Tern, and it doesn't hold up on my Mu P27 either, but this doesn't mean that this is the case with all folding bikes.

A couple of years ago, I had a Monty F19 bike that, when I tried to replace it's stock grip shift, I found it was impossible to fold without damaging either the trigger shifter or the frame.

So put the twisters on the Monty, they are not needed on the Tern and Dahon. Is that too hard to understand?

What the heck is a Monty anyway?

Originally Posted by fietsbob
For those with dueling anecdotes .. stand back to back , take 10 paces , turn and fire.
And you can stand in the middle. gl
Old 08-03-16, 08:45 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by northernlights
So put the twisters on the Monty, they are not needed on the Tern and Dahon. Is that too hard to understand?

What the heck is a Monty anyway?

And you can stand in the middle. gl
It's not hard to understand, but the problem of not working well with triggers also happens with other bikes. Not all folding bikes are created equal, you know. There are bikes that come with grip shifts for a reason.

BTW, Monty is a Spanish brand, mostly specialized in trials bikes although they also sell folding bikes and low end mountain bikes.
Old 08-03-16, 08:50 AM
northernlights

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not hard to understand, but the problem of not working well with triggers also happens with other bikes. Not all folding bikes are created equal, you know. There are bikes that come with grip shifts for a reason.

BTW, Monty is a Spanish brand, mostly specialized in trials bikes although they also sell folding bikes and low end mountain bikes.
So put them on the bikes that need them, not the ones that don't. I know that may be very difficult concept for some of you people to grasp, but maybe one of these days it will sink in. Give it some time.
Old 08-21-16, 12:26 AM
iamclaus

Bikes: Breezer Zag8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
When I upgraded the drivetrain from the stock 8-spd cluster to a Sturmey Archer CS-RF3 3-spd internal hub with 8-spd cluster, I dumped the stock gripshifter (rear derailleur) in favour of Shimano trigger shifter, and didn't bother with the lever-shifter that came with the internal hub, and put on a Shimano trigger shifter instead. I'm more comfortable with the triggers. They don't interfere with the fold despite being bulkier.

Last edited by iamclaus; 08-21-16 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-21-16, 01:13 PM
northernlights

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brake levers are a lot bulkier than any trigger shifter. The Brompton which has the most compact fold of any bike I can think of comes standard with trigger shifters. So it's hard to imagine it interfering with the fold of a folding bike, unless the bike is poorly designed off-brand junk you should probably stay away from anyway.
Old 08-21-16, 06:32 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts