Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

40/45c tire recommendations for Southern California

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-17, 09:43 AM
Pukeskywalker

Bikes: '93 Cannondale T-1000, '03 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm looking for 700x40/45c tire recommendations for this terrain (google maps screengrabs)
What I have is a drop-bar touring bike. A719 rims and V-brakes.

Based on the sand picture I'm leaning towards aggressive options the Soma Cazadero, but I don't know much about this stuff. I'd rather be less limited than go fast

Your thoughts?
  • Soma Cazadero 40c - $55 - 505g
  • WTB Nano 40c - $55 - 545g
  • WTB Riddler 45c - $55 - 560g
  • Maxxis Rambler 40c - $68 - 375g
  • Maxis Ravager 40c - $68 - 485g
  • Panaracer Firecross 45c - $45
Old 05-29-17, 09:48 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I use
  • 40 mm WTB Nanos
  • 40 mm Clement XPLOR MSO

Given the photos, I would suggest the Nanos, but if you do a lot of on-road, the Clements will be more pleasant to ride.
Old 05-29-17, 10:00 AM
Pukeskywalker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wgscott
I use
  • 40 mm WTB Nanos
  • 40 mm Clement XPLOR MSO

Given the photos, I would suggest the Nanos, but if you do a lot of on-road, the Clements will be more pleasant to ride.
The Nanos do seem like everyone's favorite. You like them in the sand?

Addition... there will be some of this too

Old 05-29-17, 10:18 AM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
I've been using Continental Crossrides on exactly that type of terrain. On my third set. If you keep an eye out for when they are on sale you can pick them up for under thirty bucks. Vectran breaker and they have low rolling resistance on pavement.
Old 05-29-17, 11:54 AM
Pukeskywalker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TGT1
I've been using Continental Crossrides on exactly that type of terrain. On my third set. If you keep an eye out for when they are on sale you can pick them up for under thirty bucks. Vectran breaker and they have low rolling resistance on pavement.
These sound great.. The price can't be beat either.

Do you get many flats?

I've been riding Marathon Supremes for years and I've been spoiled by never having to deal with a flat tire
Old 05-29-17, 01:08 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Pukeskywalker

Do you get many flats?

I've been riding Marathon Supremes for years and I've been spoiled by never having to deal with a flat tire
Nope, no more than one or two per tire life, but nothing is proof against tire wires. That seems to be the only thing that gets too them. They are intended as an "adventure" touring tire so they are pretty tough, but with good pavement riding qualities too.

Last edited by TGT1; 05-29-17 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-30-17, 09:20 PM
biggus duckus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like the bigger the better in your case. WTB Riddler might be great. I use Soma Cazaderos (advertised at 42, actually 42.8mm) and I love them, I think they would work really well in your climate. They aren't advertised as tubeless but I had no trouble getting them as such.
Old 05-30-17, 09:46 PM
johngwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Do you get many flats?

Do you find the Supremes have enough traction on sand or loose gravel? I use these on my commuter (35mm), and was wondering how they would fare on gravel compared to something with a file tread.
Old 05-31-17, 10:45 AM
emalvick

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking at your photos and recalling back to my experiences towards that part of the state (San Luis Obispo County, SLO), it would seem that the Marathon Supremes may work out ok for you IF you can get a low enough pressure in them. The only problem I could see is if the tires are susceptible to punctures or flats. The tread shouldn't matter that much on those surfaces, EXCEPT that one that looks more like loose sand. You might need something with some nobs or tread.

It's been 20+ years, but when I was in SLO, I would ride a road-bike with roughly 30-mm tires up in some of the canyons in that area. I'd also ride a MTB in the same canyons. They both generally worked well (slicks and nobs), but the biggest problem was in the soft sand areas, especially when climbing. Inevitably, patches of sand would get deep enough that I couldn't do much to get through them while climbing. I would get stuck. The solution was to avoid those patches or trails.

Admittedly, I think I know better now than I did in 1995, and with tubeless, I could probably set my tires up better. But, my memories would probably limit me from trying too it too often.

However, I do miss the dirt and hard-pack roads in that area. It made for nice riding in that area, and I never had to think too hard about what to ride.
Old 05-31-17, 10:54 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
The Nanos do seem like everyone's favorite. You like them in the sand?

Addition... there will be some of this too

This looks very similar to the ride I did on Friday (Wilder Ranch, Santa Cruz). The nanos were better in the sand than my other 40mm tires (Clement), which is not to say they were a joy, but I stayed vertical. I ran them at somewhat low pressure. I haven't yet tried them tubeless, but a lot of people say that is where they really shine. The tires are fine perpendicular to the ruts. I wouldn't try to go in parallel (or within them).
Old 05-31-17, 12:44 PM
Pukeskywalker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by johngwheeler
Do you find the Supremes have enough traction on sand or loose gravel? I use these on my commuter (35mm), and was wondering how they would fare on gravel compared to something with a file tread.
I have that exact size. Love them dearly. They've done fine in short trips through gravel you'd find on a mixed-use walking trail... as long as you're not going too fast or leaning hard in turns. I've never gotten a flat or slid-out with them. I usually have them close to the minimum recommended PSI

I'm not sure about California mountain gravel though. Looks like more big irregular rocks.

Originally Posted by emalvick
It's been 20+ years, but when I was in SLO, I would ride a road-bike with roughly 30-mm tires up in some of the canyons in that area. I'd also ride a MTB in the same canyons. They both generally worked well (slicks and nobs), but the biggest problem was in the soft sand areas, especially when climbing. Inevitably, patches of sand would get deep enough that I couldn't do much to get through them while climbing. I would get stuck. The solution was to avoid those patches or trails.
Thanks for the feedback. Sand was my major concern. I've ended up ordering these Soma Cazedero tires.. 700c x ~43mm. I'll have to find out how they do. I've seen them compared to Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Road tires a few times

Originally Posted by wgscott
This looks very similar to the ride I did on Friday (Wilder Ranch, Santa Cruz). The nanos were better in the sand than my other 40mm tires (Clement), which is not to say they were a joy, but I stayed vertical. I ran them at somewhat low pressure. I haven't yet tried them tubeless, but a lot of people say that is where they really shine. The tires are fine perpendicular to the ruts. I wouldn't try to go in parallel (or within them).
I came very close to going Nano. Thanks for the advice. I'm very excited to try out these trails. These Somas seem more appropriate according to what I read from ridinggravel.com... but we'll see. I'm gonna be going slow anyways, I'm out of shape.
Old 05-31-17, 01:36 PM
emalvick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Sand was my major concern. I've ended up ordering these Soma Cazedero tires.. 700c x ~43mm. I'll have to find out how they do. I've seen them compared to Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Road tires a few times
Key will probably be making sure you have the pressure right. Those tires look like they'll be good for what you need.
Old 06-05-17, 07:59 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
my 45mm riddlers were adequate on this sandy forest rd. of course they were awesome on the the harder stuff

Old 06-08-17, 05:27 PM
yonderb0y

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm based in LA, and I've been very happy with my Rock'n'Roads, they do pretty well with the loose-over-hard stuff around here.
Old 06-11-17, 08:28 PM
Pukeskywalker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yonderb0y
I'm based in LA, and I've been very happy with my Rock'n'Roads, they do pretty well with the loose-over-hard stuff around here.
I've heard the Somas compared to them repeatedly, they seem like a good choice

I did my first off-road ride ever today in Black Star Canyon. The Soma Cazaderos were great. I don't know anything about off-road but they didn't slip on anything and felt fast on the road and the dirt

The mist turned to rain at the top of the mountain and lots of people were getting stuck and slipping. The narrow 43mm tires cut through the mud and I had no problems. I rode slow, conservatively and walked it up a handful of hills, so can't endorse with any expertise
Old 07-17-17, 10:04 PM
jbandt

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm looking for 700x40/45c tire recommendations for this terrain (google maps screengrabs)
What I have is a drop-bar touring bike. A719 rims and V-brakes.

Based on the sand picture I'm leaning towards aggressive options the Soma Cazadero, but I don't know much about this stuff. I'd rather be less limited than go fast

Your thoughts?
  • Soma Cazadero 40c - $55 - 505g
  • WTB Nano 40c - $55 - 545g
  • WTB Riddler 45c - $55 - 560g
  • Maxxis Rambler 40c - $68 - 375g
  • Maxis Ravager 40c - $68 - 485g
  • Panaracer Firecross 45c - $45
Based on the list I like the wtb options. I'd go riddler for the extra width personally. Or Nano if there's a fair bit of sand.