Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What's the ideal bike pump if you could have a custom frame mount or peg?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What's the ideal bike pump if you could have a custom frame mount or peg?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 12:14 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
This! I have two with the plastic head and it is still going strong after 40+ years. I only use it on the road, otherwise I use a Silca Floor pump of the same vintage. My most recent bike uses a Zefal HPX. People often laugh about a full frame pump. I will let someone use the Zefal, but not the Silcas, although I will offer to pump their tire with the Silca.
Silca floor pump, with a presta head, was the standard for the track. Easily pumps up to 120-130 psi.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 05-04-20, 12:22 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

My best advice before buying any pump is to try it first. How a pump works for your abilities, wheels, pressure levels is of primary importance.

Those of us with strong hands or learned how to work a full length pump will say a Silca Imperio or Zefal HPX are among the best. Riders with strength or technique issues might like the "Mini floor" pumps that mount to the frame, the Topeak Morphs being the best known. So try the pump, and to full pressure, before buying it.

Having said all that the right answer is the Zefal HPX. Andy
Dayam. Thats a Campy head tube facing tool. Very expensive and the best. Is that a frame you built? The brazing looks fresh. But Silca is the best!

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 05-04-20, 06:57 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4198 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Not just a Campy tool but with a Cobra (or is it a Silva???) cutter for the 1 1/8" head tube using a self designed and Alex Meade made centering cone. Thanks for the brazing prop but it's not anywhere as good as I should be for doing this for so long. And I disagree about Silca pumps. Andy