Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

how to wash cycling clothing

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

how to wash cycling clothing

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-20, 08:33 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I don't claim to be a math genius but something there doesn't add up. With 25 pairs of bike shorts in use 182 times that works up to less than 8 washings a year.
D’oh! You are correct. I made an error. Each pair has been machine washed and dried about 150 times if all of them are 20 years old (which they aren’t). That’s still a lot of machine washing and drying without damage.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-31-20, 05:05 PM
run50

Bikes: Seven Elium SLX, Spot Mountain bike, Co-Motion Pangea touring bike,Trek 5500, Argon gravel bike,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
how to wash spandex.lycra

jersey. Shorts

what are best ways to prolong life of clothing
I always wash my bike jerseys and shorts turned inside out and put them into one of the
delicate bags that you can buy on Amazon for couple dollars. Has zipper on the bag and
protects the jerseys from getting caught in the washer. I typically wait to wash jersey's
and shorts until I have enough to fill two of the delicate bags. Has kept my jersey's looking
new.
Old 08-31-20, 06:29 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I guess each has their own instructions.

20 years... I don't think I have any cloths that are 20 years old that I wear regularly.
Actually, I have a sort of wearable sweater my parents bought me in 1961. It’s wool, stretched out and bit holy. I keep it because of the memories and it’s a fun thing to annoy my wife about.
Old 09-01-20, 08:48 AM
seaweedsam

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have clothes from the civil war era. Not worn. Clothes from the 1950's I wear on occasion. If you are careful with cleaning and storage, clothes should last.
Old 09-01-20, 06:21 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
wear in shower as you clean up.
hang up to dry.
works well.
+1

Best method, imo, although I dont wear while washing.

Read it here (BF)a year or so ago...been using this method all summer.
I use a gentle shampoo.
No sweat smell.
About 8-12 hours hang drying (also in shower).
Ride a second set, use washed set for the next ride.
Mix up sets from the stash to reduce wear.
Old 09-03-20, 08:46 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Close all zippers and velcro closures
Turn items inside out
Do not use fabric softener
Wash on delicate cycle using warm or cold water
Hang to dry
Old 09-03-20, 08:59 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Gentle cycle with an extra rinse, everything turned inside out, jerseys zipped. I will pre-treat the arm-pits on a summer ride, it gets really hot in Memphis TN and I sweat a lot.

Hang dry
Likes For taco2ewsday:
Old 09-03-20, 09:03 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
This doesn't work for me in the Summer (I sweat a lot) but during the Fall and Spring I can use this method.

Originally Posted by thehammerdog
wear in shower as you clean up.
hang up to dry.
works well.
Old 09-03-20, 09:17 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
D’oh! You are correct. I made an error. Each pair has been machine washed and dried about 150 times if all of them are 20 years old (which they aren’t). That’s still a lot of machine washing and drying without damage.
I dry my shorts and shirts on low heat. Works well... and I have bike shirts that are 5+ years old and still look new.
Old 09-03-20, 12:59 PM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
I pile up the cycling clothing into a separate pile and at the end of the week throw everything in the pile into the washer. Cold wash/rinse with non scented laundry detergent (liquid). Than hang dry everything. I still have shorts and jerseys from the late 90s that are still serviceable. Nice to wear retro clothing when hopping on a retro bike.
Old 09-03-20, 01:07 PM
brunes83

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Sport, 2019 Cervelo P3

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
how to wash spandex.lycra

jersey. Shorts

what are best ways to prolong life of clothing

My wife and I just wash our bike stuff normally in the washer...usually with cold water and low spin. However, we DO NOT use the dryer for any workout clothing (i.e., anything not cotton), and we hang our clothes to dry. However, I understand if you live in a humid part of the world, hanging clothes to dry can take a long time. I live in Phoenix, and everything dries in like 5 minutes, especially this time of year.
Old 09-03-20, 01:54 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
My mom always does my laundry
Likes For trailangel:
Old 09-03-20, 02:04 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Washing machine and dryer. Cold water and low heat, it hasn't damaged any of my exercise wear.
Old 09-03-20, 02:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
I learned that it's important to take cycling clothes out of the washer as soon as they're done to hand them up to dry. Not because sitting in the washer is bad for them, but rather because my sons might do THEIR laundry and 'helpfully' toss mine in the dryer, where, cyccommute notwithstanding, I have had lycra shorts lose their elasticity.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-03-20, 02:35 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
What's the best detergent to use on cycling kit (synthetics) that will keep the elasticity of spandex?
Old 09-03-20, 03:54 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
How much longer do my clothes need to last? I’ve already got cycling clothes that are washed and dried by machine that are 20+ years old. They aren’t showing signs of wearing out so do you think I can get 50, 60, 70 years out of them if I handwash and hang dry? What’s the point?

I have kept statistics on my bicycle riding since 1988. I have consistently ridden about 50% of the year which is 182 days a year over that time frame. I have about 25 pairs of bike shorts so each one gets laundered 45 times per year. As I said, I have some that are at least 20 years old so the shorts have been washed almost 1000 times. If I were doing something, I’d think it would have shown up by now.

I’m a big proponent of doing things the easiest way possible. If something goes wrong with the way that I do things, I’m fully willing to admit to having made a mistake. But if something is easy to do and give the same results as more elaborate methods, I’m not going to do something by the more elaborate way.
Well, then you are buying much higher quality clothing than I am because those little friction strips in my shorts start to show signs of issues about a year or two after I've bought them. And I have about 7 pairs of shorts but only ride 2 to 3 times a week, very inconsistently. I get the easiest way possible. I choose that way many times and my wife is on my back about doing that all the time. It's ok. She'll be gone soon enough. But anyway, there is another thing we haven't considered. The environment. The amount of energy required to dry clothes is not insignificant. I can't quantify it but I typically put clothes on a cycle of medium heat for 20 minutes. We use natural gas. Electric would be even more costly. Anyway. Far be it for me to tell anyone what to do. At least about clothes washing. Bravo. Your clothes last you a lifetime.
Old 09-03-20, 04:04 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Machine wash with my normal clothes (not dirty, just sweaty) then hang to dry.
Old 09-03-20, 06:52 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Lycra doesn’t have elastic in it, it is the elastic. More precisely, it is an elastomer which is a polymer that stretches. Rubber is also an elastomer but rubber’s molecular structure is very different and much more susceptible to degradation through a large variety of means. It is repeating chains of isoprene. The structure can be broken because of exposure to heat and/or light. It’s susceptible to oxidation, especially ozone oxidation. All these ways of degrading the polymer involve cleaving the isoprene molecule. Cleave enough of them and the rubber becomes less stretchy.........
Yes, in other words it's a organic hydrocarbon.
Old 09-04-20, 07:23 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Thomas15
Yes, in other words it's a organic hydrocarbon.
Yes but what is your point?
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-04-20, 07:33 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by MntnMan62
Well, then you are buying much higher quality clothing than I am because those little friction strips in my shorts start to show signs of issues about a year or two after I've bought them. And I have about 7 pairs of shorts but only ride 2 to 3 times a week, very inconsistently. I get the easiest way possible. I choose that way many times and my wife is on my back about doing that all the time. It's ok. She'll be gone soon enough. But anyway, there is another thing we haven't considered. The environment. The amount of energy required to dry clothes is not insignificant. I can't quantify it but I typically put clothes on a cycle of medium heat for 20 minutes. We use natural gas. Electric would be even more costly. Anyway. Far be it for me to tell anyone what to do. At least about clothes washing. Bravo. Your clothes last you a lifetime.
Are you talking about the leg and waistband grippers? Those aren’t usually rubber but are silicone. Silicone is even more heat resistant.

As for energy, I often use bicycles for transportation. The amount of energy I save by not driving allows me to use a drier without feeling too guilty about it.

Old 09-04-20, 08:59 AM
MntnMan62

Are you talking about the leg and waistband grippers? Those aren’t usually rubber but are silicone. Silicone is even more heat resistant.

As for energy, I often use bicycles for transportation. The amount of energy I save by not driving allows me to use a drier without feeling too guilty about it.
Yes. The silicone leg grippers. That's what I meant. Silicone itself may be heat resistant but that has nothing to do with the issue of them separating from the fabric they are attached to. And I guess you're right. Since you ride your bike to work that entitles you to enlarge your carbon footprint by using a dryer. Your dryer usage over the course of a year is the equivalent of flying from London to Glasgow and back plus the taxi rides to and from the airport. Again. Bravo.
Old 09-04-20, 03:24 PM
cyccommute 

Yes. The silicone leg grippers. That's what I meant. Silicone itself may be heat resistant but that has nothing to do with the issue of them separating from the fabric they are attached to.
I have shorts from low to middle range. $80 is about the most I’ve ever spent on a pair of shorts. I’ve never had a problem with grippers coming off.

And I guess you're right. Since you ride your bike to work that entitles you to enlarge your carbon footprint by using a dryer. Your dryer usage over the course of a year is the equivalent of flying from London to Glasgow and back plus the taxi rides to and from the airport. Again. Bravo.
Um...no. A flight from London to Glasgow is 560 km (350 miles for the metrically challenged). An airplane uses about 4 L per 100 kilometers so the fuel used for one passenger is 22L. That’s about 6 gallons. 6 gallons of gasoline has the energy equivalent of 200 kWh. My current drier uses 130 kWhr per year for all my laundry which is the equivalent of 4 gallons of gasoline (15L) but that is for all loads of laundry. I generally do a load of bicycle laundry per week so dividing that 15L by 52 gives a energy usage to dry my bicycle clothes of less than 300mL of gasoline.

In your airplane model, that 0.3 L of jet fuel would get me 7.5 km or to about Slough. No extra for taxis.

To put another way, I don’t use about 300 gallons of gas per year by driving to work. That’s about 10,000 kWh. At 130 kWh usage, that’s 75 years worth of drying for just one year of bicycle commuting. For my bicycle clothes...at 2.5 kWh per year...that’s 4000 years of drying.

I’ve commuted to work for 39 years and have saved around 7000 gallons of gasoline (about 100 tons of carbon dioxide). That’s 92,000 years of bicycle clothes drying. I think I’m okay using the drier to dry my bicycle clothes.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-04-20, 03:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18416 Post(s)
Liked 15,554 Times in 7,330 Posts
Your dryer usage over the course of a year is the equivalent of flying from London to Glasgow and back plus the taxi rides to and from the airport. Again. Bravo.
Maybe he takes the train or bus to the airport.
Old 09-04-20, 07:17 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Yes but what is your point?
My point is to many the words hydrocarbon is a cuss word. Me not included.
Old 09-04-20, 09:31 PM
MntnMan62

I have shorts from low to middle range. $80 is about the most I’ve ever spent on a pair of shorts. I’ve never had a problem with grippers coming off.

Um...no. A flight from London to Glasgow is 560 km (350 miles for the metrically challenged). An airplane uses about 4 L per 100 kilometers so the fuel used for one passenger is 22L. That’s about 6 gallons. 6 gallons of gasoline has the energy equivalent of 200 kWh. My current drier uses 130 kWhr per year for all my laundry which is the equivalent of 4 gallons of gasoline (15L) but that is for all loads of laundry. I generally do a load of bicycle laundry per week so dividing that 15L by 52 gives a energy usage to dry my bicycle clothes of less than 300mL of gasoline.

In your airplane model, that 0.3 L of jet fuel would get me 7.5 km or to about Slough. No extra for taxis.

To put another way, I don’t use about 300 gallons of gas per year by driving to work. That’s about 10,000 kWh. At 130 kWh usage, that’s 75 years worth of drying for just one year of bicycle commuting. For my bicycle clothes...at 2.5 kWh per year...that’s 4000 years of drying.

I’ve commuted to work for 39 years and have saved around 7000 gallons of gasoline (about 100 tons of carbon dioxide). That’s 92,000 years of bicycle clothes drying. I think I’m okay using the drier to dry my bicycle clothes.
I just quoted someone else on the energy usage. I have no ability to double check your calculations or the desire. You my friend have way too much time on your hands. I have a glass of rum to get back to. I suggest you try some. Maybe you'll lighten up a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.