Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Very sad event

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Very sad event

Old 09-08-20, 10:38 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
If a cell phone was in use at the time of the accident, in court it is called a "contributing factor". That would make it very relevant.

BTW I have found thru personal experience that you can actually drive a car without a cell phone in you face!!!!!
IF alcohol, or drugs, or even a recumbent was in use at the time of the sad event it might upon investigation be considered a "contributing factor" or be relevant in court. None of those factors or any other potential contributing factor has been revealed on this thread, nobody on this thread is "the court", and your personal experience with cell phone use while driving is irrelevant.
Old 09-08-20, 10:48 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
There are zero details of that accident in that article and somehow that didn't serve to prevent this thread from becoming a diatribe about cellphone use while driving. Every accident is not caused by cellphone use! There is even the possibility (gasp) that the cyclist is at least partly responsible. That rig does not inspire confidence actually. [emphasis mine] Have y'all's already forgotten what happens when you jump off the diving board without checking if there is water in the swimming pool? That locked thread isn't that far below this one. Someone get some facts before this gets any uglier is my advice.
Next time you want to point out there are zero details, stop.

-mr. bill
Old 09-11-20, 09:17 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yeah. Let’s forget that whole states’ rights idea and allow the federal government to legislate all areas.

I’m pretty certain the federal government cannot impose sentencing laws for state crimes, especially when using a phone while driving isn’t a crime in many states. Is there even one state that completely bans phone use while driving?
Oh yes lets be sure to give the killer all his rights. The person killed had ALL his rights removed. Im sure that a phone call to see what Aunt Martha is cooking for supper is FAR more important than a persons life!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-20, 09:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Oh yes lets be sure to give the killer all his rights. The person killed had ALL his rights removed. Im sure that a phone call to see what Aunt Martha is cooking for supper is FAR more important than a persons life!!!!!!!!!!!!

The driver is a state? Who knew?
Old 09-11-20, 09:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I don't think any of these points are debatable:

It's very sad that he got killed.

Distracted driving is bad.

We don't know whether or not the driver was distracted or anything else about the cause of this crash.

Everything else in this thread is just pointless noise.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-11-20, 10:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Yeah, we need an obituary sub-forum.
Old 09-11-20, 11:54 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I hear you. When I was touring in SD I came out of the trees after a nature break and saw a guy nearly lose it in a curve. He was looking at his phone. Probably checking all the texts he couldn’t read while in the canyon area we had just emerged from. Crazy thing is that, despite avoiding disaster, he was still looking at his phone as he passed me standing in the grass.
Now, don't assume that just because a driver is looking at their phone while driving that means they're reading text messages.

They could be watching cat videos.
Old 09-13-20, 11:51 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,255 Times in 2,935 Posts
Driver was arrested 7 days ago.
Old 09-15-20, 08:57 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Driver was arrested 7 days ago.
I don't believe it is the same case. It is another cyclist that was killed on a different road but in that same section of town. Also, that case was at night and was a hit and run.
Old 09-15-20, 09:32 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by vespasianus
I don't believe it is the same case. It is another cyclist that was killed on a different road but in that same section of town. Also, that case was at night and was a hit and run.
Yep.
EDITOR’S NOTE: An earlier version of this story misidentified the fatal crash as involving a different Adams Run incident. The incident in question happened on Sept. 4 on Mitchell Road.

I think I'd avoid riding somewhere where they can't keep track of which driver killed which cyclist.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-15-20, 09:55 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
There should be a Fed law that states the police will check phone logs to see anyone involved in an accident where a person was killed, will have their sentence DOUBLED, if they were on the phone at the time of the accident.
The problem with that theory is that there's no way to know if the user of the phone is driving or not. There's far too many people riding along as passengers in cars, buses, trains, Ubers, planes, walking, etc... to enforce a law that disables phones when moving. It's just not feasible.

IMHO What really needs to happen is that phone screens need to become more integrated with cars to the point where a received text message is displayed in a heads up display on the windshield, and steering wheels will have big Yes/No buttons right on them to allow a driver to respond to a text easily without taking their eyes and hands off the road to search for a tiny button on a phone's screen. And possibly even have a keyboard built into the backside of the steering wheel where your finger tips are to allow for easier typing. Instead of fighting this senseless war on text messaging, we needs to facilitate a fix for the the actual problem, which is drivers taking their eyes off the road.
Old 09-15-20, 10:05 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Riveting
IMHO What really needs to happen is that phone screens need to become more integrated with cars to the point where a received text message is displayed in a heads up display on the windshield, and steering wheels will have big Yes/No buttons right on them to allow a driver to respond to a text easily without taking their eyes and hands off the road to search for a tiny button on a phone's screen. And possibly even have a keyboard built into the backside of the steering wheel where your finger tips are to allow for easier typing. Instead of fighting this senseless war on text messaging, we needs to facilitate a fix for the the actual problem, which is drivers taking their eyes off the road.
Sure, good solution. I think they should also put joysticks on the steering wheel to make it easier to play video games while driving.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-15-20, 10:15 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Yep.

I think I'd avoid riding somewhere where they can't keep track of which driver killed which cyclist.
That is all of South Carolina. I think this little area has had roughly 5-6 cycling deaths this year. The roads are terrible and the drivers are even worse.
Old 09-15-20, 11:49 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Sure, good solution. I think they should also put joysticks on the steering wheel to make it easier to play video games while driving.
The longer people like you make light of the fixes needed to make texting and driving easier and safer for the driver, the more the deaths will continue to pile up. The war on drugs didn't work, and the war on texting while driving will fail also. It took 30-40 years to make pot legal, hopefully we don't take as long to legalize texting and driving, which should bring some innovations in safety features.
Old 09-15-20, 01:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

And a beer dispenser.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-15-20, 01:28 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Aren’t there more appropriate places for this “enlightening discussion?”

Ava has returned home along with Kristopher Cotton’s ashes.

Say their names.

-mr. bill
Old 09-15-20, 01:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The longer people like you make light of the fixes needed to make texting and driving easier and safer for the driver, the more the deaths will continue to pile up. The war on drugs didn't work, and the war on texting while driving will fail also. It took 30-40 years to make pot legal, hopefully we don't take as long to legalize texting and driving, which should bring some innovations in safety features.
Sorry, but this is one of the lamest false equivalencies I have ever seen. There's plenty of examples of people changing their driving behavior due to prohibitive laws--when I was a kid, essentially no one wore seat belts, and the car seat for all practical purposes didn't exist. Once mass-marketed car seats were introduced, their use didn't really ramp up until holding the child in your lap was made illegal.

And sorry, your technical "innovation" is a laughingly bad solution. People don't just get into accidents typing on their phone, reading texts is enormously distracting, reading requires both mental and optical focus. If you were right that putting that distraction on the windshield didn't detract from driving, then the placement of video games or movies or whatever in the same place is a perfectly reasonable suggestion. You're not right, and you as much as admitted it when you realized that the video game suggestion is absurd.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-15-20, 02:57 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 601 Posts
Please, explain to me why it matters whether or not technical innovations will "make texting and driving easier and safer for the driver".

I, for one, could give a rat's behind whether "texting and driving" could be made safer and/or easier for a driver. I don't particularly care whether irresponsible idiots who divide their attention, whilst driving a car, between texting and driving a) find one or the other more 'difficult' using currently-available technology and/or b) severely injure or kill themselves (preferrably the latter; gets 'em off the roads) while trying to do so.

The only relevant question is whether or not a driver can simultaneously drive a car and text without endangering other road users. Absent the development of genuinely safe autonomously self-driving cars, or absent some sort of miraculous feat of bio-engineering that enables the human brain to simultaneously 'text and drive' whilst maintaining full attention on both tasks -- something neurologically not currently possible for any human being -- I fail to see what technological developments would achieve this end.
Likes For badger1:
Old 09-15-20, 03:30 PM
Riveting

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Sorry, but this is one of the lamest false equivalencies I have ever seen. There's plenty of examples of people changing their driving behavior due to prohibitive laws--when I was a kid, essentially no one wore seat belts, and the car seat for all practical purposes didn't exist. Once mass-marketed car seats were introduced, their use didn't really ramp up until holding the child in your lap was made illegal.

And sorry, your technical "innovation" is a laughingly bad solution. People don't just get into accidents typing on their phone, reading texts is enormously distracting, reading requires both mental and optical focus. If you were right that putting that distraction on the windshield didn't detract from driving, then the placement of video games or movies or whatever in the same place is a perfectly reasonable suggestion. You're not right, and you as much as admitted it when you realized that the video game suggestion is absurd.
I understand my brainstormed innovations are somewhat absurd, but I just don't think that outlawing texting and driving will work. Some innovation has to happen that makes the process of sending and receiving texts safer while driving. Requiring "hands-free" just makes those people who don't use hands free hide their phone really low and out of view, making it even more unsafe. Simply outlawing texting while driving is the easy "zero-tolerance" answer, but it isn't THE answer. Look how long drunk driving has been outlawed, and yet here we are (in the US) with ~111 million drunk driving incidents annually (of which 11,000 are deaths), for the past 30 years (or more) https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafe...factsheet.html
Old 09-15-20, 04:07 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Aren’t there more appropriate places for this “enlightening discussion?”

Ava has returned home along with Kristopher Cotton’s ashes.

Say their names.

-mr. bill
This thread went off the rails at post 3 and never came back, it only got worse and less relevant to the sad event mentioned in the OP. The only appropriate place for the thread after post 2 is the trash can.
Old 09-16-20, 05:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I understand my brainstormed innovations are somewhat absurd, but I just don't think that outlawing texting and driving will work. Some innovation has to happen that makes the process of sending and receiving texts safer while driving. Requiring "hands-free" just makes those people who don't use hands free hide their phone really low and out of view, making it even more unsafe. Simply outlawing texting while driving is the easy "zero-tolerance" answer, but it isn't THE answer. Look how long drunk driving has been outlawed, and yet here we are (in the US) with ~111 million drunk driving incidents annually (of which 11,000 are deaths), for the past 30 years (or more) https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafe...factsheet.html

Honestly, I really think it's a shame that you are using this thread in this way, and I wish that I didn't feel I need to answer this lame-brained assertion. No, drunk driving hasn't been eradicated, but are you arguing it isn't less than it would be if it was legal? Are you arguing for a technology that would make drunk driving safer? What makes you think that anything is going to be THE solution for a problem?

Anyway, you're just cherry picking, and really missed the point about car seats and seat belts. Regulation matters and can save lives, it just can't save all lives.
Old 09-16-20, 10:49 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Self-driving cars. I get that Covid and Civil Unrest have captured the news cycle but how could y'all's completely forget the coming irrelevance of human drivers in traffic safety? If you can stay off the roads for ... say 10 more years, you're golden.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 09-17-20, 12:17 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I understand my brainstormed innovations are somewhat absurd, but I just don't think that outlawing texting and driving will work. Some innovation has to happen that makes the process of being drunk safer while driving. Simply outlawing drinking and driving is the easy "zero-tolerance" answer, but it isn't THE answer. Look how long drunk driving has been outlawed, and yet here we are (in the US) with ~111 million drunk driving incidents annually (of which 11,000 are deaths), for the past 30 years (or more) https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafe...factsheet.html
So your argument is we shouldn't outlaw drinking and driving either?
Old 09-17-20, 12:35 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Self-driving cars. I get that Covid and Civil Unrest have captured the news cycle but how could y'all's completely forget the coming irrelevance of human drivers in traffic safety? If you can stay off the roads for ... say 10 more years, you're golden.
I really hope you're right
Old 09-17-20, 02:43 PM
Riveting

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
So your argument is we shouldn't outlaw drinking and driving either?
Oh, is that what I said? Must've missed that. If anything you should have said that I wanted to make drinking and driving easier.

My main argument is that I want to reduce the texting and driving accidents by making it easier and less distracting for the driver to do so. And I believe that can be done via innovations that link the phone to the car better, and I gave brainstormed examples of some possible innovations. And I believe a discussion forum about safety is a prime place to discuss such things. And a sub-argument of mine is that simply outlawing that activity isn't all that can be done to reduce number the deaths.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.