Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel bike shoes/pedals?

Old 10-01-20, 03:22 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Flat pedals for me. CrankBrothers Stamp 7s.

i used to run SPD pedals, but find the flats much more versitle.
Old 10-01-20, 10:04 PM
qwkteg125

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I purchased shimano pd-eh500 dual sided pedals and love them. I can run clipless on longer rides and still putt around the city with family or run quick errands on the platform side. The platform side has screw in pins that grip your shoes really well.
Old 10-03-20, 04:06 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by qwkteg125
I purchased shimano pd-eh500 dual sided pedals and love them. I can run clipless on longer rides and still putt around the city with family or run quick errands on the platform side. The platform side has screw in pins that grip your shoes really well.
Same here. Running for a month now with Giro Cylinder shoes for longer rides but local cafe stops just cruising in my Vans. Super versatile. Also slightly lighter in weight vs comparable Issi pedals (although I love their Thumps on my vintage mtn bike).

Last edited by Wilbur76; 10-03-20 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 10-03-20, 04:47 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Gotta laugh at myself, did the Snaggy Ridge 105 (I actually did the timid 25-miler) today in Tipton, Iowa and forgot my Five-Ten cycling shoes!

Good thing I'm using flat pedals, Crankbrothers Stamp 7s as I was able to ride in my hicking shoe/boots I'd worn out the door.

On about mile 18/25 I noticed my left metatarsal being angry at me. I adjusted my pedaling style some and finished without it getting too bad. Took some ibuprofen and feels fine tonight.

So a lesson in versatility for me and feeling stupid for being forgetful 🤪
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 10-05-20, 05:16 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
....On about mile 18/25 I noticed my left metatarsal being angry at me. I adjusted my pedaling style some and finished without it getting too bad. Took some ibuprofen and feels fine tonight.......
Being able to make little micro-adjusments to foot position is to me the biggest feature of flats. Especially for long days on mixed terrain. That benefit greatly outweighs any benefit I ever felt from clipless.
Old 10-06-20, 01:09 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
assimo power pedals for the road bike.

flat pedals for the gravel bike. RaceFace Chester pedals and 510 or shimano flat pedal shoes.
Old 11-07-20, 07:42 PM
pbechard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've always been a Crank Bros Candy rider on all my bikes - MTB, Gravel and Road! One set of shoes as well - keeps it simple and cost effective.
Likes For pbechard:
Old 11-11-20, 09:11 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by ericzamora
I've been using clipless on my gravel bike, but when i built up my Surly ECR with RF Chester flat pedals (for slower, more casual riding, especially when loaded for bikepacking), i rode in some worn Oboz hiking shoes. It was nice, doable, i don't think i was missing much compared to the advantages. I lost grip a lot, but the soles were worn. I just picked up a pair of these and they may work out great for flats. I haven't had a chance to ride yet. Not as big and clunky as my Five Ten Freerider Pro MTB shoes

https://www.jensonusa.com/Five-Ten-T...woSolar-Red-75

eric/fresno, ca.
I'm another happy user of the Trailcross shoes. I can confirm that very aggressive pins in your flat pedals will eat into the soles, but less agressive (yet still grippy) pins work well. I'm currently using the Trailcross shoes with Shimano Saint flat pedals and really like this setup. I left most of the less aggressive pins in place, but replacing only two of the center pins with more aggressive pins adds a significant amount of grip with minimal impact to the Trailcoss soles. Even in wet weather this setup keeps my feet planted on the pedals.
Old 11-11-20, 02:07 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
My favorite flat pedal I have tried (other than very expensive TMACs) is the Diety Deftrap. Ginormous, flat, platform that is not beveled at the leasing and trialing edges, so you get more usable real estate towards the back of the pedal when it helps the most IMO. Also, they focused more on making a "true" concave platform with no nubs or axle pocking up in the middle like so many other thin and "supposedly" concave pedals do.. The only downside is being a bit thicker and without the beveled leading edge, they are a little more strike-prone, but this is really a non-issue for gravel riding. They grip really well.

I tried one pair, and and I just ordered another pair for my gravel/road bike.

As far as shoes go... I've been having mixed results with mtb-oriented flat pedal shoes for road/gravel. I have a pair of Ride Concept Hellions, which are on the stiff side for this kind of shoe, and while they work great for MTB, I am finding these are not stiff enough for long, constant pedaling. I get a pain on the middle of my foot. I have ended up going with some old hiking shoes as they are much stiffer under the arch of my foot. They have pretty worn down sole lugs, so they grip OK, but nothing like the Hellions (or probably any true MTB shoe). I may try something really stiff like the Northwave Clan next.

A large pedal like the Deftrap can help offset a softer soled shoe to some extent.

FWIW, was been a clipless user on the road for 20 years. It is in the past few years that I have transitioned to flats because... well clip-less was just not adding anything for me, and I learned that not all flats or shoes are the same.
Old 11-11-20, 04:21 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by DomaneS5
Speedplay Frog pedals and cleats, with Shimano waterproof shoes, work well for my '17 Motobecane Omni Strada Comp.
Love frogs too, but can you get them anymore?
Old 11-11-20, 05:26 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
I'm using Shimano XTR pedals and Specialized S-Works Recon shoes. I can't recommend this combo enough. Comfortable for long miles and the stiff sole really prevents hot spots on the soles of my feet and puts the power down.
Old 11-11-20, 08:51 PM
xseal

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by helldorado
for me it's the time atac pedals, ftw
+1 ....
Old 11-12-20, 07:55 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Love frogs too, but can you get them anymore?
I don't know, but the last time I bought Frogs was in 2018. I have 4 sets of them. Nashbar had them for sale at that time. I haven't checked for Frogs anywhere for a while. If Frogs are discontinued, I hope replacement cleats are still available.
Old 11-12-20, 08:49 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by DomaneS5
I don't know, but the last time I bought Frogs was in 2018. I have 4 sets of them. Nashbar had them for sale at that time. I haven't checked for Frogs anywhere for a while. If Frogs are discontinued, I hope replacement cleats are still available.
This is all a bit of a thread derailment, as the OP is not asking about clipless, he is asking about flats. But since it came up......

Both the pedals and the cleats are pretty hard to find right now. Speedplay discontinued the Frogs earlier this year. I thought the cleats were supposed to still be available, but that could just be a COVID-related delay.
Old 11-12-20, 05:23 PM
SwampGrinder

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur76
Same here. Running for a month now with Giro Cylinder shoes for longer rides but local cafe stops just cruising in my Vans. Super versatile. Also slightly lighter in weight vs comparable Issi pedals (although I love their Thumps on my vintage mtn bike).
Can't figure out how to include originally quoted message, but it is gwkteg125's post about loving his Shimano pd-eh500 dual sided pedals that allow you to use clipless and flat shoes (or any regular shoe)

Same here as well. Have been running them on my gravel bike for about two months. And have gone all-in with Shimano for the shoes as well: Shimano AMS shoes for the clipless side and Shimano GRS shoes for the flat side. The AMS and GRS models are exactly the same shoe except for the soles, so I feel like I am always wearing the same shoe. But to be honest, I got the GRS shoes for my MTB, which is flat pedal only. For quick non-clipless rides on the gravel bike, I will wear pretty much whatever is no my feet at the moment.

Last edited by SwampGrinder; 11-12-20 at 05:33 PM. Reason: trying to include original quote as well
Old 11-12-20, 11:18 PM
partyanimal

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by qwkteg125
I've used these as well for probably the past 3/4 years. Had the on my SS in NYC as a commuter bike and when i left the city moved them to my touring/gravel bike.

Was never interested in clipping in but Chrome made these shoes with ppd mounts and found them on sale for about $40 and decided to give it a try and haven't looked back. I don't know if they make the spd versions anymore but I have 2 pair of these and they're pretty great, stiff shoe. Chrome also makes some shorts and other clothing, mostly geared towards messenger/urban cycling but i think it works well in for gravel stuff.
https://www.chromeindustries.com/pro...w_all_footwear
Old 11-13-20, 12:39 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
I ride flats on my MTB and the lack of stiffness in the sole (5.10 shoes) is noticeable and I definitely get more of a calf workout than I do with clipless on my gravel and road bikes. Personally, I wouldn't want to put in long miles on those flats. As an experiment, I tied a pair of heavy-soled hiking/approach shoes and the support was better, but the weight of the shoes was noticeable.
Old 11-13-20, 01:00 PM
pipeliner

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
I like SPD pedals with MTB shoes. I fight foot cramps with any shoe that has flexible soles so carbon soled shoes are a must. I do run Freerider pros and flats on my FS mountain bike but for long hours cranking on my gravel bike, gotta be clipped in.
One word of advice, after several bent axles on Shimano XT pedals I had to get some XTR's. No more bent axles and would advise anyone to go with the XTR.
I've never tried eggbeaters.
Old 11-13-20, 10:31 PM
kgcabs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 6 Posts
I went with spds and Shimano RX 800 shoes. I'm on Tarmac 75% of the time. So far so good.
Old 11-14-20, 05:04 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
there are a lot of fake Shimano stuff flowing around on the internet especially pedals, you regularly see XT pedals on eBay brand new for $60, all fake
Old 12-05-20, 05:02 AM
JackR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crankbros Candy here 🙋‍♂️

I used my gravel bike for getting around town too, as it's wider tyres and chiller nature made it more comfortable.

The crank Bros system for my MTB shoes (Rapha) work great and I had no issues clearing snow and mud to clip in. Plus the flat base supports those shoes well. They're still comfortable in vans or sneakers too.
Old 12-05-20, 11:38 AM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by JackR
Crankbros Candy here 🙋‍♂️

I used my gravel bike for getting around town too, as it's wider tyres and chiller nature made it more comfortable.

The crank Bros system for my MTB shoes (Rapha) work great and I had no issues clearing snow and mud to clip in. Plus the flat base supports those shoes well. They're still comfortable in vans or sneakers too.
the rubber sole is not suppose to touch the platform, if it does you could develop knee issue due to restriction in the cleat float
Old 12-05-20, 12:07 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
the rubber sole is not suppose to touch the platform, if it does you could develop knee issue due to restriction in the cleat float
The Candy is designed to work best with the sole just touching the platform on either side of the cleat. They even provide shims to fine tune this.
Old 12-07-20, 04:28 PM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
I use SPD pedals and MTB shoes for gravel rides. I see lot's of others using road shoes but I personally wouldn't want to walk or hike-a-bike in road shoes on a gravel trail if I needed to. Check out the Pearl Izumi Gravel X shoes. I've been riding them and love them. Here goes a closer look at them in this video I made when I first got them

Likes For illjustride: