Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

To bib, or not to bib, that is my question

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

To bib, or not to bib, that is my question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-21, 05:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
I’m also a shower washer of my bibs and jerseys when a shower is available.
Old 02-11-21, 06:55 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
A quick note, I mentioned using a clothesline above for drying. Unless you are in a dry desert, you should assume there will be a heavy dew at night, so bring your laundry into the tent at night. I mentioned on previous threads that I also put a saddle cover on my leather saddles at night in case of dew.

Your post was specific to bike shorts/bibs but it has evolved well beyond that. I also bring civilian clothing to wear in town on days off, on the plane, in campsite, in hostels or motels, etc. Everything I bring on a camping bike tour is quick drying including my towel. Jeans do not dry fast, they stay home. Exception, I often bring some bandanas that are used for lots of things including hot pads in the kitchen, the bandanas are cotton and are the only thing I bring that do not dry fast.

I commented above that I do sink laundry where I bring my own soap and drain stopper. Several have commented here that they do laundry in the shower. I do not see much difference other than sink laundry allows for a soap wash and rinse later. Shower wash often means you may be using a coin op shower where sink water is free. Choose whichever you prefer.

It has been a year and a half since I did my tour in Canada, so I do not recall which was most prevalent for showers, Loonies or quarters, but I think I mostly used Loonies but some camps used quarters, tried to keep a stash of coin to use for showers.
Old 02-11-21, 08:22 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I learned the hard way about dew. Left a laundry load on the line overnight at Mineral, VA. Clothes were still a bit damp as the sun went down, but they were dripping wet the next morning.

If it's only a one or two bits of clothing, you can get them dry by tucking an end under bungee cords, assuming you've got a tent bungeed on the rear rack. And assuming it's not raining that day. A few hours with a 10-12 mph breeze will dry most things.
Old 02-11-21, 08:52 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I learned the hard way about dew. Left a laundry load on the line overnight at Mineral, VA. Clothes were still a bit damp as the sun went down, but they were dripping wet the next morning.

If it's only a one or two bits of clothing, you can get them dry by tucking an end under bungee cords, assuming you've got a tent bungeed on the rear rack. And assuming it's not raining that day. A few hours with a 10-12 mph breeze will dry most things.
let's face it, we've all done this.

And how much dew can vary so much from one site to another, temps, if you're in a low area near a river, how much air is moving etc. I just generally don't take the chance and bring stuff in the tent with me, a few times putting dampish wool socks that I want to wear on morning inside the sleeping bag with me to dry out during night.
My off bike clothes can go a while without cleaning, shirt, pants so I tend to do them on a planned rest day if needed. Off bike undies and socks generally dry well , no cotton, and can be strapped to rear of bike as needed easily.
Old 02-11-21, 09:33 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
If it's good weather, placing the pad side out in direct sunlight for a couple of hours also has a beneficial anti bacterial effect

Re: Showers

IIRC most showers now are loonies. At least the ones I've visited in the last few years. Usually NP showers are free with camp spot. But only in the developed areas like L Louise, Banff, Jasper. The chain sites are rustic.

Funny story about that. Last year I spent 4 weeks camping in and around four NP's on two hub and spoke tour/paddleboard trips. Because of covid and physical distancing they closed all the showers. It became a ritual to head down to one of the mountain lakes for an evening dip (no soap). Let's just say- Lake Minnewanka in September is c o l d !

Last edited by Happy Feet; 02-11-21 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-11-21, 09:41 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
I ride with (and appreciate the benefits of) cycling shorts (bibs) but wonder about their practicality for a long tour. I realize there will be some long-time tourers among you who have calluses on your calluses, and for whom therefore, there is no need for padding. I direct my question to those among you who can remember your first tour and ask whether the inconveniences of maintaining cycling shorts on that trip wasn’t worth the bother ( either because the hassle is too big or the “toughening up process” is quite short) or whether you’d recommend cycling shorts.
I’m not following your point here. Most all bike shorts have padding. Bibs shorts just happen to have straps that go over your shoulders. They aren’t functionally different from bike shorts except in that one respect.

I have bib tights that I wear in winter. I like them because they are warmer than waist high tights but I do find them to be a hassle doing the things mentioned above. I also don’t like them on my bare shoulders because they chafe a bit. I almost alway wear my bib tights over a jersey that is layered under other jerseys. I don’t know that I would want the straps on my bare shoulders while sweating profusely...which is something I do even when it’s 20°F.

But that’s me. If you find them comfortable, go ahead and use them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-11-21, 09:53 AM
Happy Feet

I have always worn waist high cycling shorts but on long days in the summer found it a bit "sweaty" in the groin area and wondered how that might play into developing saddle/friction sores. So, I bought a pair of bibs with the hopes that not having a waist band would hold the fabric a bit away and allow better air flow. Can't say I found it any different.

But that experiment went out the window when I found cycling underwear. Basically a lightweight short with padding, meant to be worn under other shorts. Bingo! They are sheer (er) but not that bad and breath great. In the summer I use these when doing longer less populated routes and add a pair of light nylon running shorts to my kit to slip over when I stop in towns. For the OP, in a group, that might not be as good
Old 02-11-21, 09:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
back to washing and drying
Ive nearly always taken to washing my padded bike shorts in the shower with me, along with jersey and socks. I'm lazy and just want to get it done and out of the way.

Getting the most water out of padded shorts is the key to faster drying, along of course with developing a good nose to ferret out the best sun / wind area / near to a wall or whatever where heat from sun is greater.
I try to keep part of my towel dryish, and after a reasonable hand wringing (not too hard for the stitching ) and doing the "let them hang a bit while I wash myself" (usually can find a spot on the shower curtain rail or something) , this at least allows a bunch of water to settle at the lowest points, then squeeze out this part as best as I can, and then after drying myself, I use the dry end of my towel and do the "roll the shorts up in the towel and stand on it, if possible" thing. Gets a bunch more water out of the padded bit, and this goes a long long way to faster drying, just cuz theres less water to evaporate.

another good reason to get into a campsite not too late , to take advantage of sun and wind to dry things. In summer, Ive found it works most of the time, and when not, just use other clean and dry shorts in the morning.
Bike jersey is always dry, pretty much same with socks.
Hotel visits are easier as there are more real towels to do the rolling up standing thing, but my travel towel does a reasonable job camping.
Jeez, just use a dryer! This whole “handwashing/line drying” thing is the hard way. If I’m somewhere where there is a shower, there is likely a laundry nearby too. People act as if Lycra is somehow “delicate”. It’s not. It’s a tough, synthetic material that is set with higher heat then you’ll find in even commercial dryers. It may even benefit from a bit of heat. I found this back in 2008:

From the Clothing Dictionary

Laundering Lycra

Machine washing and tumble drying are the preferred manner of laundering.

If the other fibers in the garment are machine washable and dryable, this should be the recommended method for cleaning. The heat generated by machine drying will help recover any lost stretch that occurred during the wearing of a garment. Thorough washing, rinsing and drying in machines brings out the best in Lycra.
I’ve been machine washing my bicycle clothes for much longer than that article and I have bicycle clothes that are older than that post...that I still wear. I have had to handwash my bicycle clothes a few times because there wasn’t a laundry around (it happens) and I have really noticed exactly what the article above says. The shorts feel floppy and baggy compared to the snap of a machine dried Lycra garment.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-11-21, 10:50 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I found that laundry on the back of the bike got more road dust than it does on top of my front panniers. But I have never found anything to dry very quickly while riding, probably because I do not strap it on in a way that it can flap in the breeze. So, I am more inclined to not even try to dry it during the day while moving, instead just bundle it up so that it can get enough air to prevent mildew.

Attached photo is quite poor, I did not realize I had a sweat smear on the lens, sorry. The orange on top of the front pannier is my towel wrapped around some other damp laundry. Photo was in Key West, so everything will be damp with that high of a humidity.

Old 02-11-21, 05:13 PM
Jno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I assume that, like me, you have the inclination to think about biking and, with covid, the time to think about biking. Over the past few months I’ve launched threads on any number of topics and each has given me lots of useful info, even as the threads spiral. In this case, I was wondering if using bibs cleaned with limited or suspect water or dried with insufficient or unreliable sunlight meant they’d quickly be too skunky to use. None the less, it looks like most people seem to feel they can keep them clean on tour and that’s good enough for me. Thanks.
Old 02-11-21, 05:31 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
I assume that, like me, you have the inclination to think about biking and, with covid, the time to think about biking. Over the past few months I’ve launched threads on any number of topics and each has given me lots of useful info, even as the threads spiral. In this case, I was wondering if using bibs cleaned with limited or suspect water or dried with insufficient or unreliable sunlight meant they’d quickly be too skunky to use. None the less, it looks like most people seem to feel they can keep them clean on tour and that’s good enough for me. Thanks.
Just socially distance, and that pesky BO problem isn't so difficult to get around.

Here to help .
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 02-11-21, 05:32 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
cycco- a lot of places I've been touring there havent been driers, so thats part of it. I'm also ok with air drying when there is time, so its not really a complaint on my part at all. And unless its rainy, im fine with having stuff dry out out on my rear rack.
But yes, I like how using a dryer does seem to tighten stuff up overall. I guess part of it is that my padded bike shorts are smalls, and I dont really want them getting "tighter".
Oh, and yes, I too can't stand how bib straps feel on my shoulders, pretty much why I never wear the one pair of bibs that I own.

Jno, yup with proper care and a bit of common sense, its fairly easy to keep stuff non funky. And yes, using a washing machine and dryer is nice when available and if convenient, and if you're ok with using them for your clothes (I'm always a bit skeptical of some dryers and dont want to take a chance with my nice stuff, despite what Cycco says)

Oh, funny story. Years back my wife and I were doing a week long supported trip by Velo Quebec called Le Grand Tour. One rainy afternoon when my wife and our friend decided to call it quits for the day because of heavy rain, I continued on my own and ended up riding with a group on road bikes. Was fun riding fast in a group even in the pouring rain, but then we all started to laugh because one of the dudes hadnt rinsed his bike shorts properly the night before, and all these big soap bubbles were coming out the back end of his shorts, just like out of a cartoon.
Looked really funny and he just laughed at himself and came out with a good joke in French about forgetting the rinse cycle or something, kinda fun and made up for going along in pouring rain.
Old 02-11-21, 05:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
There's an easy way to get the comfort benefits of bibs and the ability to do nature's tasks after you suit up. Save's money over the long run also. Clip-on suspenders. Doubters will point to the tight waistband but the suspenders stretch and loosen those waistbands quickly.

A real plus over bibs is that suspenders can be adjusted easily when they stretch. Bibs require sewing. (For those of us who have objects that need real support, this can be the difference between great rides and bad memories.) It also simplifies buying shorts that are comfortable as strap length no longer matters.

Drawback is you will be one of two suspender wearers here. (There may be others but if so, the silence id deafening.)
Old 02-11-21, 07:23 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

^^^^^^^^
This guy wears suspenders!!

I'll admit my experience is limited, but aren't the clips and adjusters metal?
Old 02-11-21, 08:02 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
FWIW on my 3 month tours I've taken 3 bibs, wore them every day. Me personally I found I could wear each for two days, and a third was acceptable if I had to. A simple rub with soap in a sink will do. A swim in a passing lake now and then with the bibs on is great on a hot day, and sort of halfway to a wash I tend to get hot more often than cold, so I really can't stand multiple layers of inner/outer/etc. I keep town clothes in the very top of one pannier for the occasional nice sit-down lunch.

I do avoid dryers when it's easy, as the concern isn't the lycra (takes dunno 10+ years to wear out) but the padding. When I was younger I barely noticed, but now I can really tell which bibs have been on tour and are basically toast. No sense shortening that lifespan unnecessarily with more heat. Perhaps that's not scientific but when there's an option I'll hang dry, when there's not I'll tumble dry.

Also I've found one way to dry damp bike shorts quickly is with body heat - wear them to bed inside a sleeping bag for a while. Not ideal with dirty sweaty ones you just wore, but after a sink wash not so bad
Old 02-11-21, 08:25 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I saw poo mentioned here, but for me, I drink a lot of liquids, so for me it is the ease of being able to pee. My first pair of lycra shorts was in 1980 and they were bibs. I would definitely not consider going back to bibs.
Old 02-11-21, 09:08 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by fourfa

Also I've found one way to dry damp bike shorts quickly is with body heat - wear them to bed inside a sleeping bag for a while. Not ideal with dirty sweaty ones you just wore, but after a sink wash not so bad
While I don’t sleep in them, I put my next day’s riding clothes inside my sleeping bag even when they are dry if it’s going to be chilly at night.
Old 02-11-21, 09:15 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
^^^^^^^^
This guy wears suspenders!!
I climbed part of the way up to the rim road of Crater Lake with that guy. He was riding a fixie. I would never question his decisions as to what works for him. Just sayin’.
Old 02-11-21, 10:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I generally don't not ride in bibs. However yes, do what works for you.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-12-21, 03:56 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I climbed part of the way up to the rim road of Crater Lake with that guy. He was riding a fixie. I would never question his decisions as to what works for him. Just sayin’.
You got me all wrong. I don't question that 79pmooney is a hard man. I was simply enhancing his self-deprecation. I'd still like to see what suspenders work.

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 02-12-21 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Missing critical piece of idea
Old 02-12-21, 07:25 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
... Clip-on suspenders. Doubters will point to the tight waistband but the suspenders stretch and loosen those waistbands quickly....
Do not need them for my bike shorts, but they are great for my rain pants.
Old 02-12-21, 09:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Jeez, just use a dryer! This whole “handwashing/line drying” thing is the hard way. If I’m somewhere where there is a shower, there is likely a laundry nearby too. People act as if Lycra is somehow “delicate”. It’s not. It’s a tough, synthetic material that is set with higher heat then you’ll find in even commercial dryers. It may even benefit from a bit of heat. I found this back in 2008:

I’ve been machine washing my bicycle clothes for much longer than that article and I have bicycle clothes that are older than that post...that I still wear. I have had to handwash my bicycle clothes a few times because there wasn’t a laundry around (it happens) and I have really noticed exactly what the article above says. The shorts feel floppy and baggy compared to the snap of a machine dried Lycra garment.
I understand a website called 'clothing dictionary' declares its OK to dry lycra, but forgive me if I dont place much value in what a random website claims.
To be clear- I am not calling you wrong and I am not wanting to get into a predictable chemical analysis argument over what lycra is and what is it withstand, yada yada yada.

If it isnt detrimental to the clothing, it is odd that so many clothing brands- from cheap to expensive and from made in Asia to Europe to the US- say do not put their cycling clothing in a dryer. Either it shrinks the clothing which is detrimental, or it decreases the lifespan of the clothing which is detrimental. Again, this is in their opinion- the opinion of the companies that make this stuff.

I have dried a few jerseys before because they were club fit and too baggy, so I dried them in an effort to shrink em a little. I have not dried my bibs as I dont want them smaller and they still 'snap' even after line drying. Most of my jerseys are line dried too because they are already tight so why would I want to risk making them too small?

Everyone can and will do what they want to do, thats fine. I decided to post only because I find it odd that so many companies declare absolutely no drier use, yet so many users ignore it and their results are perfectly fine.
Old 02-12-21, 10:44 AM
Happy Feet

Now I am curious how members carry a dryer on their touring bikes?

I use front panniers on my rear rack and there's no way one would fit in those, or my HB bag. I put a front basket on one bike but that won't hold even an apartment sized dryer.
Old 02-12-21, 10:56 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I swiped this tiny little hair dryer my wife had and never used that is perfect for this application. Don’t know where she got it but it’s a con air and it’s foldable. Not much bigger’n small binoculars .
Maybe look around on Amazon for same or similar?
Old 02-12-21, 10:57 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Now I am curious how members carry a dryer on their touring bikes?
Or the generator for power, as a dynohub does not deliver enough power for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.