Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Novatech D772 hubs

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Novatech D772 hubs

Old 02-24-21, 02:03 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Novatech D772 hubs

Just received a Novatec D772SB hub, and it's going straight back to the vendor. It was set up with a Shimano road 11 speed freehub, but it will not work with my Ultegra Di2 drive train. The spacing on the drive side appears to put the cassette too far inboard and adjusting the shifter cannot accommodate that position. It came with a spacer ring, but with that behind the cassette, the lock ring cannot engage the free hub threads. Don't know if this is a common problem with this brand of hub, but I won't be buying any more of them.
Old 02-24-21, 02:17 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
While I do not have experience with Di2, I see that the rear derailleur does still maintain limit screws like a standard one. Sounds like an adjustment there may be what is needed.
Old 02-24-21, 02:40 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric S.
While I do not have experience with Di2, I see that the rear derailleur does still maintain limit screws like a standard one. Sounds like an adjustment there may be what is needed.
+1. Contact the vendor or have an experienced type person check it out. May save you and the vendor a lot of unneeded effort and $.
Old 02-24-21, 02:56 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
Just received a Novatec D772SB hub, and it's going straight back to the vendor. It was set up with a Shimano road 11 speed freehub, but it will not work with my Ultegra Di2 drive train. The spacing on the drive side appears to put the cassette too far inboard and adjusting the shifter cannot accommodate that position. It came with a spacer ring, but with that behind the cassette, the lock ring cannot engage the free hub threads. Don't know if this is a common problem with this brand of hub, but I won't be buying any more of them.
Did you have a wheelset on the bike before this or is this a new build? How much distance is there between the end of the freehub and the drive side lock nut or end cap? I can't imagine there being so much room there that you wouldn't be able to hit the large sprocket of an 11-speed. You said your shifter won't accomodate that position...does the derailleur? Can the limit screws be adjusted so that the derailleur can physically move far enough over to that sprocket? If so, then it seems like a strange issue with the shifter or configuration somehow.

I don't have any experience with Di2, so I'm sure someone who is experienced will come along, but it almost seems like the shifter and derailleur aren't synchronized or "baselined" in the small sprocket position. I would think that you'd start with setting the H limit screw to where the derailleur is correctly positioned under the smallest sprocket, and then the system should more or less work from there, going up the cassette (regardless of the precise position of the freehub).
Old 02-24-21, 03:13 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6932 Post(s)
Liked 10,932 Times in 4,669 Posts
This is not related to Di2, since mechanical and electronic groupsets use the same freehubs and cassettes.

I am presuming that you adjusted the limit screws, since that is often needed with a new hub. Also, note that there are spacers of different thicknesses; have you tried one that is not as wide/thick?

If Novatech states that it works with 11 speed Shimano, I'm willing to bet that it does.
Old 02-24-21, 03:33 PM
bmcer

This is a new build. The previous rear wheel has a DT Swiss 350 straight pull, and it shifted just fine. With the Novatec hub mounted in the frame (12 X 142 TA) and using the cassette from the original wheel,The RD cannot be made to reach the largest cog. It will, however shift to the smallest cog and past it if I back out both limit screws. Not good. I can, If I fiddle with the adjustment mode further, get the RD to shift to the largest cog, but not all the way to the smallest. Like I said, both limit screws are backed off as far as is safe. Multiple attempts to get shifting to work properly were all fruitless. Put the same cassette back on the original wheel back, mount it, and shifting returns to normal.

The hub fits between the rear drop puts properly, so I'm assuming the lock nut to lock nut spacing is correct. I haven't checked the hub's other dimensions.

Rather than waste more time on it, I'm just going to return the hub and use the spare rear DT Swiss hub I have on hand instead. Think of this as a cautionary tale. I see a lot of "cheap Chinese" wheel sets using these hubs. Given my experience, I'd think twice about buying anything with Novatec hubs.
Old 02-24-21, 03:54 PM
bmcer

Originally Posted by Koyote
This is not related to Di2, since mechanical and electronic groupsets use the same freehubs and cassettes.

I am presuming that you adjusted the limit screws, since that is often needed with a new hub. Also, note that there are spacers of different thicknesses; have you tried one that is not as wide/thick?

If Novatech states that it works with 11 speed Shimano, I'm willing to bet that it does.
Maybe so, but it this case, something is definitely off. I've been building wheels since the 70's. 'Course that doesn't mean I don't have my "D'ooh" moments, but I'm pretty sure this isn't one of them. I have tried an old thinner spacer I had laying around that did give the lock ring enough purchase on the free hub threads to be screwed down securely. That did improve the situation somewhat, but I still was unable to match the derailleur's range of motion to the cassette's requirements. Since I have a known good hub on hand, I've given up on the Novatec. Whatever standards of QA they maintain on their hubs, this sample didn't meet them. I did do some research on their products after the fact, and found reports of failed QA to be not uncommon.
Old 02-24-21, 06:29 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
This is a new build. The previous rear wheel has a DT Swiss 350 straight pull, and it shifted just fine. With the Novatec hub mounted in the frame (12 X 142 TA) and using the cassette from the original wheel,The RD cannot be made to reach the largest cog. It will, however shift to the smallest cog and past it if I back out both limit screws. Not good. I can, If I fiddle with the adjustment mode further, get the RD to shift to the largest cog, but not all the way to the smallest.
You're saying that you can get the smallest sprocket but not the largest sprocket...or the largest sprocket but not the smallest sprocket...but not the whole range? This suggests an issue with the total width of the cassette and not with the hub itself...unless I'm seriously misunderstanding what you're saying.

I do think some pictures would be very instructive here.
Old 02-24-21, 06:57 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Although Novatech is middle of the road stuff at best, I have yet to see the hub spacing so far off on any rear hub spacing and cassette combo that a der will not travel the full width of the cassette. Something is not quite right with the way the Di2 is being set up. Take it to someone who has dealt with Di2 and ask them to look at it.
Old 02-24-21, 07:34 PM
bmcer

Sorry guys, I'm making a mess of trying to explain what's going on. Let me try to clarify a bit. First, the cassette is fine. It has been on a couple other rear wheels and always functioned perfectly. Secondly, the D12 shifting has been spot on with a couple other wheels. The one and only variable here is the hub. Finally, since the thin spacer I mentioned before moved things closer to normal, I'm going to try to scrounge up a Shimano 11 speed lock ring that has a few mm more thread so I can use that thicker spacer that came with the hub. Let me give that a shot. I'll report back ASAP.

I do want to take a moment to thank you all for your input.

Last edited by bmcer; 02-24-21 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-24-21, 07:46 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Sorry guys, I'm making a mess of trying to explain what's going on. Let me try to clarify a bit. First, the cassette is fine. It has been on a couple other rear wheels and always functioned perfectly. Secondly, the D12 shifting has been spot on with a couple other wheels. The one and only variable here is the hub. Finally, since the thin spacer I mentioned before moved things closer to normal, I'm going to try to scrounge up a Shimano 11 speed lock ring that has a few mm more thread so I can use that thicker spacer that came with the hub. Let me give that a shot. I'll report back ASAP.

I do want to take a moment to thank you all for your input.
The thick spacer that came with the hub is for mounting an 8, 9 or 10 speed cassette, or some 11 speed cassettes with a 34 tooth large cog as they are dished in to fit a 10 speed freehub body. Is your cassette one of those?
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 02-24-21, 08:38 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6932 Post(s)
Liked 10,932 Times in 4,669 Posts
I think the focus on Di2 is misplaced. This is not a Di2 problem, I reckon. I mean, the RD is moving (or attempting to move) across the cassette. And aside from the indexing being adjusted through the shifter instead of at the RD, it operates like any other drivetrain in this regard.

There is something physical (mechanical) going on at the hub or with the cassette. My money is on the wrong spacer, or something is hinky with one of the sprocket spacers.
Old 02-25-21, 01:07 AM
TiHabanero

bmcer stated that he is using the exact same cassette on other wheels and when he puts those other wheels on the bike, it shifts just fine, meaning that the di2 is calibrated to the cassette on the other hubs, indicating that all those other hubs have the exact same specification from locknut to locknut, or at least from drive side locknut to inner cassette body.
bmcer, you are trying to use the Novatech wheel with the exact same cassette moved from wheel to wheel without having to readjust the Di2. Is this correct? You are able to accomplish this just fine except when you use the Novatech hub. Is this correct?
Old 02-25-21, 06:24 PM
bmcer

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
bmcer stated that he is using the exact same cassette on other wheels and when he puts those other wheels on the bike, it shifts just fine, meaning that the di2 is calibrated to the cassette on the other hubs, indicating that all those other hubs have the exact same specification from locknut to locknut, or at least from drive side locknut to inner cassette body.
bmcer, you are trying to use the Novatech wheel with the exact same cassette moved from wheel to wheel without having to readjust the Di2. Is this correct? You are able to accomplish this just fine except when you use the Novatech hub. Is this correct?
Yes, this is correct. I sat down today and took measurements of the distance from the bottom of the cassette to the drive side lock nut on my old wheels (the ones that shift well with the cassette in question) and the Novatech. The Novatech is about 3.2mm longer. BTW, I did try the thick spacer on the NT hub, Had to use a disc brake rotor lock ring to do it, but it still would not shift properly. Close, but no cigar. At this point, I got the RMA and UPS label to return the hub. So I'm taking the path of least resistance and building the new rear up on a DT Swiss 350 hub I know works.

Last edited by bmcer; 02-25-21 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-25-21, 07:00 PM
TiHabanero

Back in the racing days we called this the wheel pit blues. Someone grabs a wheel, puts it on your bike, but unknown to you or your helper the wheel is not the one with your name on it and immediately the chain is off the outside or inside. The difference is the hub is spec'd differently from the hub the rider used on his own wheel.
As you have found the two options are to keep the wheel and readjust the Di2 each time the wheel is used or to get a hub that is the same as what the Di2 is adjusted to now to assure wheel changes without the need to readjust Di2.
For what it's worth, my experience with DT Swiss 350 hubs has been flawless. I use them for heavy riders, racers that create big watts, and guys like myself that like easy maintenance hubs that rarely ever need maintenance! Much better choice than Novatech and in my opinion beat the heck out of any other hub on the market.