Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Great Allegheny Passage - Pittsburgh to Boston, PA, what's the trail like?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 08:55 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I rode the GAP many moons ago, and the route from Pittsburgh to Boston was on-road (if memory serves, the off-road option was inconveniently long). But I hear the trail is complete now, and off-road. I may be headed to Pittsburgh for a weekend soon, and the prospect of riding the GAP again is irresistible.

Can anyone confirm that the trail is off-road, like the GAP site suggests? What's the surface like, are smooth road tires an option or should I bring my mountain bike for those 20 miles?

My bands:
Old 10-13-15, 09:03 AM
motorapido

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour, tricked out with modern components. Shimano Alfine 11 internal gear hub. Dynamo hub. Titanium racks and bottle cages. Mercier Kilo Wide Tire dropbar singlespeed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Allegheny passage surface report

I have ridden the entire GAP/C&O five times in the last three years, and I am happy to report that the surface from Pittsburgh to Cumberland Maryland is magnificent. It is all very well mantained, well rolled and packed fine crushed stone. You DO NOT NEED a mountain bike, hybrid or fat-tire bike. Super skinny race tires would not be my choice. 30 or above, just fine. I have riddent the entire length with 32s, 35s and 38s. Wider is helpful when you get onto the C&O at Cumberland MD. On the Alleghenny Passage from Pitts to Cumberland, the surface is magnificent. You now start at Point State Park in downtown Pittsburgh. You have a little bit of road and paved riding and then well maintained trail.
Old 10-14-15, 09:04 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Three weeks ago, I did that Cumberland to Pitt portion on 28's, and could have easily done it on 25's. It is very fine crushed stone, and very easy to cruise along at 18mph with no concern for stability or traction.
Old 10-14-15, 03:27 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by neilfein
Can anyone confirm that the trail is off-road, like the GAP site suggests? What's the surface like, are smooth road tires an option or should I bring my mountain bike for those 20 miles?
I remember your previous ride! I read it while prepping to ride the GAP in 2011.

Pittsburgh to Boston can be ridden completely off road. Using Google maps, the route will take you to the Point via the Ft. Pitt Bridge. https://goo.gl/maps/31uYwJtXRJL2

If you opt for the Hot Metal Bridge route, there's a bit of on-road in downtown Pittsburgh. https://goo.gl/maps/Qe2NJp3BT132 I'd actually modify this route and head down Ft. Pitt Boulevard to Commonwealth and head into the park (Google won't let me do that on their map).

There's a way to eliminate 95% of that on-street (to literally one block on-street), if you drop down to the Mon Wharf parking lot. I can't get Google Maps to draw that, but it wouldn't be hard to describe if you are interested.

Regarding tires, there's no need for mountain bike tires on that section. If my memory serves me, it's entirely paved from downtown Pittsburgh to past McKeesport. Might be all the way to Boston, depending which side of the Yough you stay on, can't quite recall that end. Farther out than Boston, it's crushed limestone, for sure. If it's dry, you could probably ride out past Boston on 25's. If it's wet, meh, 32's or 35's would be better.

Last edited by Altair 4; 10-14-15 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-15-15, 01:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
IIRC correctly, there is one short, on-road section. If you look at the map for the northern most section you will see s trip of yellow. in the Port Vue/McKeesport area. According to the map's legend, yellow is on-road.

Great Allegheny Passage - www.gaptrail.org
Old 10-16-15, 08:35 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Yeah, Indyfabz, you're right. I forgot about that section. Now that I think about it, there always seems to be a puddle at the southern point of that road section, where it transitions to trail again. I've also ridden on the opposite side of the Yough and some of that is on-road, but the roads were very quiet when I rode them. You can ride a mapped out circle route on both sides of the Yough between McKeesport and Boston - there are (or were) signs with maps showing the path.