Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A serial # won't get you any info about your frame

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-23-21, 07:45 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts

In most cases it's useless to ask for info and only provide a serial #. The rash of these threads has got me wondering if it has anything to do w/ stolen bikes. Unless it's starting w/ 'WTU" (Trek) or "WSBC" (Specialized) you're not going to learn much. To give you model/size/year info someone would have to have access to the (known) manufacturers b2b site.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 02-23-21, 07:47 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Those threads do seem fishy.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-23-21, 07:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
If you want to know what bike it is get good pictures of the bike usually on the downtube it will have a company name or maybe a head badge or something somewhere. If not at least some good clear pictures will help better identify.

If you are new here and cannot post pictures it is simple you just need to make a choice, do I like bikes and want to be around people who also like bikes and talk about bikes and other related topics or did I mistake Bikeforums.net for Google, Altavista, Ask Jeeves, DuckDuckGo or some other search provider and really just want to ask a question and leave. If you like the bikes then you just need to join the forums and explore around and post in some other topics and pretty soon you will be able to post your own photos without issue. If you thought we were just a search engine, then bye Felicia (as the kids say) we are an active forum not Yahoo! Answers!

People need context to help you out. Bike and random letters and numbers mean basically nothing. With some context especially those pictures we talked about earlier would help but if you don't want to provide those then what is your end goal?

If you are looking at a bike on Craigslist or some similar website and the seller is not telling you much, MOVE ON! The bike is potentially stolen and ain't worth the risk. Also if it was poorly painted do you really want it anyway. What if it is hiding rust underneath or cracks?
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-24-21, 12:04 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Those posts bother me less than the "what year is this bike" posts here and ******.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 02-25-21 at 08:37 AM. Reason: invoking the censor
Old 02-24-21, 01:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Some things do decode from the serial number but it's true the most serial numbers are just a number.

My Schwinn Paramount SN says a lot. Though it's nice to know, it's still mostly gee-whiz info.

Self-Describing Serial Numbers

This system started in use during the mid- to 1994’s. It consisted of six components:
  • Size Code: The size code represented the center to top seatmast measurement, rounded to the nearest 5mm. For example, a 55cm frame had a serial number starting with 550. Mountain bikes required rounding since they were built in one or two inch size increments. Occasionally, custom frames might not have the same size as indicated by the serial number.
  • Product Code: This was not applied consistently. Up to some point in the early 90’s, it designated the fork length with forks short bikes getting an “A” progressing to large forks getting an “E”. Later, it was used to designate the kind of frame: A=Road, B=Off-Road, C=650C Road, E=Track.
  • Company Code: In the 80’s the code indicated the type of bike, where K=road bike. Later, especially after the formation of Waterford, this letter indicated the company. K was for Paramount and L was for Waterford.
  • Factory Code: A W followed to indicate a bike coming from the Waterford factory.
  • Month Code: This one letter code corresponds to the month with A=January, B=Febuary and so on. Because I is not used, September=J and December=M.
  • Year Code: This two digit code is the last two digits of the year – 96 is 1996.
  • Sequence Number: This three digit number represents the nth frame and/or fork scheduled during the month.
Example: 540AKWE91042 was a 54cm road racing Paramount built at the Waterford factory. It was the 42nd frame built in May of 1991.
https://waterfordbikes.com/w/culture...amount-dating/
Old 02-26-21, 06:59 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
I wonder though, if a thread that collected formats and lengths of serial #s from bikes where the manufacturer/year were known, could be of value?
For example, sorted by character length, starting with with alpha vs numeric. If anywhere in the string of characters the year or frame size is obvious, it could be called out.
A post contribution might look like below (completely made up btw). YY = Year, SZ = Size. X = alph letters and # = numerics
13 chars Fuji ModelX 2010: Ser #: YYXXX###### SZ
Old 02-26-21, 07:07 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 470 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I wonder though, if a thread that collected formats and lengths of serial #s from bikes where the manufacturer/year were known, could be of value?
For example, sorted by character length, starting with with alpha vs numeric. If anywhere in the string of characters the year or frame size is obvious, it could be called out.
A post contribution might look like below (completely made up btw). YY = Year, SZ = Size. X = alph letters and # = numerics
T-Mar Did this with many vintage bikes up to 1990?

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ber-guide.html
Old 02-26-21, 08:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Sounds like you are volunteering to head that up and administer all the necessary logistics.
Old 02-26-21, 10:03 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I think you need more than the number for that though (T-Mar's list). Like, if you knew it was a Nishiki, you could then source the serial info.
In this case one doesn't even know if its a Raleigh or a Flying Pigeon.
Old 02-26-21, 10:52 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
I collect BMX bikes and you see this all the time on those forums. I don't know if they think it's like a cars VIN#? I think there's a big interest in making a few extra bucks off craigslist flipping bikes. People are pulling them from dumps and all sorts but they are afraid of selling their 1 million dollar antiques road show bike for $50 .
Likes For cbrstar:
Old 02-26-21, 11:37 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Vintagely speaking, a serial number may tell you more than anything else present on the bike. Especially if the frame has been repainted, re-decaled and/or rebuilt with non-original parts.

As for the problem of stolen bikes on the Forum, it has to be a tiny tiny tiny fraction of the bikes presented and discussed. It's the Internet for appropriate discussion - you folks are Forum members, not investigators, accept your role on the Forum and just roll with it.

Bike thieves are criminals and that's garbage - but that doesn't logically lead to making assumptions about anonymous people with unknown bikes suddenly being identified as criminals because they want info about a bike from a cycling forum - Where they have to register to post!

IMO.
Old 02-26-21, 03:51 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Vintagely speaking, a serial number may tell you more than anything else present on the bike. Especially if the frame has been repainted, re-decaled and/or rebuilt with non-original parts.

As for the problem of stolen bikes on the Forum, it has to be a tiny tiny tiny fraction of the bikes presented and discussed. It's the Internet for appropriate discussion - you folks are Forum members, not investigators, accept your role on the Forum and just roll with it.

Bike thieves are criminals and that's garbage - but that doesn't logically lead to making assumptions about anonymous people with unknown bikes suddenly being identified as criminals because they want info about a bike from a cycling forum - Where they have to register to post!

IMO.
Yeah, ok.
Old 02-27-21, 06:30 AM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
Serial number can tell you a lot on certain vintage bikes. On my Higgins/Sears Flightliner, the number told me the year and trim level. Mine is a 1961, originally equipped with a rat trap springer fork and 2 speed kickback hub.
The number can tell you a lot on a vintage Schwinn Stingray too. You can determine year and month of production. You can determine whether it was originally a ss, 3 spd or 6 spd.
Unfortunately, the number does not reveal much on most makes.