Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rode my age and then some!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 01:45 PM
rayman54

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo S3 Ultegra 2012 TREK Superfly 29'r FS 2012 Cervelo S5 Rival w/FLO 60's - 07 TREK Pilot 2.1 triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 10 Posts

This is my 1st post. 55 YO male, I started riding just about a year ago. I'm primarily a distance runner, but started riding to support my wife's riding. Purchased a Trek Pilot 2.1 ( Ultegra and 105 mix). I turned 55 in August and did my 1st metric century with my son that month.

I've been focusing more on the running lately due to several races. I ran the Army 10 miler in DC. Finished 5th in my AG at 64:28. With that done I decided to refocus efforts on completing an actual century. I had not ridden for 3 weeks due to the training, tapering, and racing at Army. The guys here at work with whom I do weekly group rides were preparing to do an unsupported century (last Saturday). Since I had done almost no biking in the 3 weeks mentioned, I decided to do a 55 miler last Wednesday to see if the century was at all possible. The route I chose is hilly ( at least for me), 3,300 elevation gain in the 55 miles. I was surprised to finish the ride easily at just about 18.5mph average.

So, I decided to attempt the century ride. Saturday in Attleboro Ma. at 9:00 we started out. It was cool (37 deg. F) at the start with little wind and sunny skies. In all we started with 10 riders. 20 miles into the ride the wind started to pick up, but the temp. increased to 45 degrees. The guys who organized the route built in bailouts for 50, and 80 mile ride options just in case. By the 50 mile bailout point I was with the lead pack of 2 other riders, with the remainder maybe 400 yards back. I lookd back a little while later and did not see the others, it turned out that they all decided to do the 50 due to the 45 degree temps. and the increasing winds. So the 3 of us pressed on fully intent on finishing. By 60 miles the wind was blowing quite steadily and the skies were no longer blue, but an ominous gray.

I failed to mention that my longest ride prior to this day was 71 miles that I did with the same group a month ago in preparation for this century attempt. So, by 75 miles I was starting to worry about finishing. I had feared this before hand so I had decided to try GU Roctane during the ride. I took one at the start and a second at just over 50 miles. I also had a few bananas, Gatorade, and Power Bars.

It turned out that the Roctanes and the Powerbar were enough to prevent any bonking. Good thing since with only the 3 of us, we each took turns pulling into the wind for the entire ride. I was tempted to take advantage of the 80 mile bailout, but that bad idea passed quickly! By the time I reached the 90 mile point, I knew I was going to make the distance, my 1st century! The actual ride was 102.7 miles, but at the 100 mile mark (on my Garmin FR205) I was at 5 hours and 53 minutes, just about 17.0 mph average. Thanks Don for pulling the last 4 miles, I really needed the rest!

For the week, I did 157 miles, my longest ever. Last year at this time I was barely able to complete a 40 mile ride. I've noticed that the riding has had a positive impact on my running as I've run faster times this year than I did for the past 3-5 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1st_century.jpg (100.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-20-09, 02:22 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Excellent ride and a great speed for a windy century plus! I guess you're used to the cold temps because they didn't seem to slow you down much.

By next season you should be able to ride double centuries in reasonably fast times too!

Rick / OCRR