Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Designing a touring frame/fork

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 11-30-09, 12:07 PM
mariasplunge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sure this has been hashed over extensively so I apologize if this is getting redundant. However, the discussion always seems to bring out great information and a variety of opinions to consider.

I have the opportunity to design a touring frame from the ground up. I've been on a couple of extensive tours with a nice old Trek on 27's so I have some ideas about what I like but I'm always interested in what folks could have or want if they could design their own frame.

Let's also not limit this discussion to frame/fork. If you want to input information about components, handlebars, racks that's fine with me too!

Last edited by mariasplunge; 11-30-09 at 12:09 PM. Reason: miswording
Old 12-01-09, 02:08 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There`s a lot of opinion involved about wheel size, frame material, geometry, and threaded/threadless. One little detail that doesn`t get mentioned and I think would be nice is oversized rack bosses for 6mm screws, at least for the lower rear mounts. Or if you`re a trailer minded person, maybe brazed on BOB studs. Or even both of those so you can do it however you want.
Old 12-01-09, 03:45 AM
fks
Shoot Your Car

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Reynolds 853 Oversize tubing (31.8 TT and ST; 34.9 DT); 1 1/8 headset (Chris King), Unicrown Forks; Thompson stem and seatpost (29.4mm) ; 73mm BB (XT Cranks M770)22 32 44 ;
26 inch wheels, Hope Hubs, Mavic EX 729 Rims 36H, 9 sp 11-34 cassette; Paul Thumbies with Dura Ace Bar End shifters; XT F&R der; Magura HS33 Brakes, Flat Bars; Tubus F(Tara) and R(Tubus) racks.

Last edited by fks; 12-01-09 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-04-09, 02:01 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
. One little detail that doesn`t get mentioned and I think would be nice is oversized rack bosses for 6mm screws, at least for the lower rear mounts.
Are those going to fit on a standard rack?
Old 12-04-09, 03:17 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Close. I imagine most mfgs drill (or even punch) the holes around 5.5mm. Reaming them out to an even 6 would only reduce the meat by half that difference all the way around. But if I were already that far into custom territory I wouldn`t stop at the frameset anyway- may as well have a dream rack on my dream bike.
Old 12-04-09, 03:32 AM
stevage

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mariasplunge
I have the opportunity to design a touring frame from the ground up.
Jeepers, how did this happen? Tell us!

Before this thread runs away, it would be good to tell us a few more parameters: on road, or off touring? Within civilised areas, or the third world? What's the budget? Is this one off, boutique, or mass market?

Bear in mind there are already gazillions of touring frames on the market, you could average them all out to see what people need Five hundred braze-ons would be a good start.
Old 12-04-09, 12:04 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Sakkit bicycles came were offered with the option for a security 'plug' built into the seattube, a waterproof sealed compartment accessible from a fitting in the seattube between the derailleur and the bottom bracket.

IF I were designing a custom touring bike from the ground up for my specs, I would get the fitting for this - have seen it at framebuilder sites that offer lugs, etc... and ask it be installed in your frameset. I suspect you could have it installed right at the derailleur clamp area so it would blend right in.

you never know when you're going to need to smuggle some diamonds across a boarder

An integrated rear rack with 15 inch deck might be nice.

decks and fittings for water cans of some large sort if you are travelling third world as well. a simple inverted T configuration with 3" angle rail at the bottom with a strut leading to a strapover to secure an edged water container on the rail of the T would be sufficient.

Water carrying on the front fork is nice. maybe integrate a watercan hauling system with a lowrider rack, integrated and welded to the fork.

I believe there was a fairly well known, record setting, knighted British cyclotourist that used integrated jerrycans or something like this, he recently passed, RIP, and I've forgotten his name, it escapes me.

Last edited by Bekologist; 12-04-09 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-04-09, 02:33 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Rodriguez puts a bottle opener on their touring frames but it strikes me as more of a conversation piece than something that would be useful (assuming one would be carrying something like that already).
Old 12-05-09, 10:11 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
The Tout Terrain bikes that Peter White Cycles sells seem to be the ultimate fantasy tourer bikes.
Old 12-06-09, 04:21 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
One of the custom tandems in Touring Bikes: a Practical Guide has a fuel container built into the downtube with small screw stoppers each end. Im not sure if this would prohibit the bike from air travel.
Old 12-06-09, 05:39 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The fuel bottle thing makes me think of a bike I saw on a link from the Sands Machine (S&S couplers) website- some guy found a way to stash a fly rod inside his coupled frame.
Old 12-06-09, 08:39 AM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Google "Tony Oliver" for an informed view of what proper touring frame should be.
Old 12-13-09, 08:06 AM
Lake_Tom
Avoid trauma

Bikes: 2001 Bianchi Eros (my baby), 1994 Trek 930, Raleigh Twenty Folding Bike (For Sale)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
The Tout Terrain bikes that Peter White Cycles ... ultimate ...
I found that bicycle last week. I love the idea of an integral rear rack.
It weighs a bit over 32 pounds as pictured. It has fenders, a generator & light, and a Rohloff hub and disc brakes, each of which will make the bicycle a bit heavier. Does 32 pounds sound like a lot? I really don't know. I own two bicycles and have never weighed either of them.
Old 12-13-09, 11:38 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

32 lb isn't light, but light weight obviously was not a design priority. Considering that's the "all-in" weight, it doesn't sound bad. I'd be more concerned with how much lighter my wallet would be.

Top-end racing bikes these days weigh as little as 16 lb. My own racing bike weighs about 21 lb (it's about 10 years old, and I did not choose especially light parts for it). If you added fenders, lights, a rack, and a dyno hub to it, it would top 25 lb. And it would make a lousy touring bike.
Old 12-13-09, 02:51 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
32 lb isn't light, but light weight obviously was not a design priority. Considering that's the "all-in" weight, it doesn't sound bad.
It`s a touring bike. 32# is pretty light for that- a lot less than I would have expected for that bike and about the same weight as mine. Sheesh! My roadie runs about 25 with empty bottle cages!
Old 12-15-09, 08:51 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Well, if I were really going to redesign a touring bike from first principles, I'd start by assuming 20" (ISO 406) wheels. A wide variety of tires is available, they're big enough to allow sufficient mechanical trail that you can have stable handling. 20" is big enough to be efficient on rough surfaces. The smaller wheel will allow a lower center of gravity and will open up all kinds of frame / luggage options.
Old 12-15-09, 12:57 PM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
some kind of electrical system built into the bike that would charge up whatever need's charging,might sound daft but how many times have you looked for somewhere to charg you phone /lights/batterys,also keep the frame as light and as strong as you possible can.it will be near on impossible i think to improve on the top touring bikes, imho the only way to improve things is add on's, but what they are i have no idea.oh yeah a kickstand that works.love to know how you get on with this project hope it works out.
Old 12-15-09, 04:30 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

RHM: Something like this perhaps?
Old 12-15-09, 05:09 PM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think the frame is relatively simple. If you have toured and are of technical mind set, moderately, then you should have a good idea on fit, and you should have enough experience with various tubes to know what range you get solid performance out of. I think the main thing beyond that is to accept that you are going to have to build a couple of frames to get it right where you want it. It's a bit like marriage. If you are lucky the first marriage may be perfect. But if not people tend to rebound, decide the one feature they need to go overboard on is the one missing in their initial go around. It can take two shots to get it right. I have been down that path so many times with various projects. Though not marriage...

I am not a big believer in the integrated rack. I don't see the point. If the idea is that one needs to have a stronger attachment point, there is no reason why that has to be done at the cost of reducing the versatility and options for a rack. The same line of thinking would suggest that the drops should be welded to the axles. There isn't anything wrong with properly sized bolts. But the attachment points should be larger. the current eyelets were really designed for fenders. I haven't really seen a successful integration of the rack in a way that allows the rear end and the rack to be made more efficiently, so they share common parts, save weight. On a rear suspension rack, I think there are some better options.

One thing that does work really well/differently, is to integrate the rack into the panniers. Solid shell panniers that do not require a rack are very light and potentially far more aero. I made a set out of 1/8 inch ply and glass for my mother's city bike 10-15 years ago, and they were really useful and light. The problems are that you are stuck without a rack; they don't ship well; They don't deform to accept that little extra piece of gear; you can't detach the bags; etc... But for just riding with they are excellent, which is why they are so popular on motorcycles, at least the hard shell part. Many of these problems can be worked with, but every rider will have their own features list so best of luck to the commercial maker.
Old 12-15-09, 09:08 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
I really think they got it right back in the '90s with the hardtail mountain bike frames. I would use those angles combined with a long headtube to get your handlebars high enough for a modern threadless headset. You could use this setup with 26" or 700c wheels depending on your size and preference.

Enjoy creating the bike of your dreams
Old 12-24-09, 08:12 PM
Lake_Tom
Avoid trauma

Bikes: 2001 Bianchi Eros (my baby), 1994 Trek 930, Raleigh Twenty Folding Bike (For Sale)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
I am not a big believer in the integrated rack. I don't see the point. If the idea is that one needs to have a stronger attachment point, there is no reason why that has to be done at the cost of reducing the versatility and options for a rack. ... There isn't anything wrong with properly sized bolts. But the attachment points should be larger. The current eyelets were really designed for fenders...
A welded joint can transmit torque through the joint; a screw connection cannot transmit any torque. Hence, an integrated rack can handle lateral loads such as the bags wagging left to right. The tubing can be downsized because the loop over the rear wheel does not have to be as strong.

This torque is akin to how motorists put load-adjusting bars on a trailer hitch to transmit torque to the frame of the towing vehicle. It is the same torque that S&S Couplers are designed to transmit torque through the top tube and downtube of a bicycle.
Old 12-25-09, 02:02 AM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
"A welded joint can transmit torque through the joint; a screw connection cannot transmit any torque. Hence, an integrated rack can handle lateral loads such as the bags wagging left to right."

I'm no engineer, but I don't see that bolt on racks of proper construction have any problem resisting bags wagging left to right.

"The tubing can be downsized because the loop over the rear wheel does not have to be as strong."

But this is not what I have observed on the touring type bikes that attempt this:

https://www.bikebrothers.co.uk/ianhib...1_files/06.jpg

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tout-terrain.asp

As far as improving rack attachment is concerned there are many tested ways that go beyond the current fasteners without the lack of flexibilty of welding/brazing a rack on. Not all of these use bolts in the conventional maner, they may support the weight of the rack directly with the bolt merely securing a ferule etc... I still think that the most practical approach is to use upgraded bolts and fittings since this nips the problem in the bud, but if there is some disaster a resupply rack can be quickly fitted.
Old 12-25-09, 05:25 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Mine would be close to that Tout-Terrain Silkroad, but add an integrated, suspended high-rider front rack with shelf. Add a Schmidt dynohub for that fork (doesn't exist yet) and The Plug. I think a rear fender could be part of the frame as well. The frame should accomodate a Topeak Modula XL cage for 1.5L bottles and a standard bottle cage.
Old 12-26-09, 06:58 PM
vengeful_lemon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
I believe there was a fairly well known, record setting, knighted British cyclotourist that used integrated jerrycans or something like this, he recently passed, RIP, and I've forgotten his name, it escapes me.
You're thinking of Ian Hibell, who did unfortunately pass away recently. He had a couple bikes made with integrated (not removable) racks because he apparently had trouble with racks and rack bolts breaking. I've only ever seen his jerry-cans strapped to the bike, not in special holders, though. see below. I love the old school "folding tire."

Old 12-26-09, 08:21 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This guy has lowriders with water containers: https://www.bicycletraveller.de/equip.htm

Scroll down the page for details.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.