Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

5 months New Zealand - which island first?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-10, 03:32 AM
luxlumis

Bikes: Thorn Sherpa, Thorn Club Tour, Trek 930

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I posted this question in the regional forum, but it seems that there are not many people following this forum; so I'm trying it again here:

I'm planning to go cycle touring in New Zealand for 5-6 months, starting in the last week of November. I had already decided to start in Christchurch and tour the south island first, but now I read that the south island is much nicer in autumn. So I'm looking for first hand experiences: where would you start and why?

And one additional question: I heard that it might be very difficult to find affordable accomodation (campsites, hostels) during December and January. I don't really want to pre-book, since I want to be flexible. Is this a bad idea? Will it be difficult for one person on a bike to find somewhere to sleep? Are there areas that are particularly crowded and that I should avoid?

Any tips are greatly appreciated!
Old 09-07-10, 04:45 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Christchurch has just been destroyed by an earthquake ... but I'm sure you knew that already, it's been all over the news. Hopefully things will have settled down there by November, but you might want to start with the north island just to give the south island a bit more time to recover.
Old 09-07-10, 07:01 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
6 months is a long time, you'll get spring summer & fall. I would start in the north, go south in the middle of the trip, then go back north when it gets too cold in the south. DOn't miss the East Cape of the North Island.

I bet the hostels & backpackers will be full around the holidays, but I would be shocked if the campgrounds wouldn't squeeze you in. Almost every campground has a kitchen, so if you are planning to cook, bring your cook ware (pot, fork, knife, etc) but don't bother with a stove if you are going to stay in campgrounds.
Old 09-07-10, 09:51 PM
Steve0000

Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
The South Island will get colder in autumn than the North. You wouldn't want to be in the far south of the South Island when the weather turns - it can be bad enough in the summer at times. I have never found accommodation a problem during December. Most NZers holiday in the New Year and January so up until then it is generally fine not to book for campgrounds or backpackers. There are a few exceptions at tourist traps such as Queenstown and small popular holiday spots such as Raglan. So saying that, I have not booked in the past during December. Even on my last tour, I cycled up to the camp in Motueka, a popular town, and asked even though they had a sign up for no vacancy. Turned out they kept some sites available for people like me so they could vet them before offering them a site so I got a spot.

You will find some useful info here. You can contact me via the guestbook at this site if you need further info. My journals are also on this site and cover most of NZ.
Old 09-07-10, 09:54 PM
Steve0000

Machka - 'destroyed' is rather inaccurate. Damaged yes but not destroyed. It will be OK by November for visiting.
Old 09-11-10, 07:20 AM
luxlumis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the answers. Yes, I know that Christchurch was hit by an earthquake. But I was hoping that it would be OK to fly there in November.

I figured that the south island is the colder of both, so it might be good to use the summer months for touring there, and then go north when it gets colder.

I'll try not to be near any of the big tourist spots at the end of December and in January. Does anybody have suggestions where to spend those ~4 weeks on the south island? I haven't really made a plan since I have so much time.
Old 09-12-10, 01:37 AM
Steve0000

Originally Posted by luxlumis
Thanks for the answers. Yes, I know that Christchurch was hit by an earthquake. But I was hoping that it would be OK to fly there in November.

I figured that the south island is the colder of both, so it might be good to use the summer months for touring there, and then go north when it gets colder.

I'll try not to be near any of the big tourist spots at the end of December and in January. Does anybody have suggestions where to spend those ~4 weeks on the south island? I haven't really made a plan since I have so much time.
The West Coast is obligatory. Try from Wanaka to Murchison for some great scenery. The Mackenzie Basin is worth a look, as is the Catlins. You could include the Rail Trail as well. Nelson Region has some good cycling around the Nelson Lakes, Motueka, Takaka Hill and Nelson. Some places of little interest include Canterbury Plains and the East Coast from Christchurch to Dunedin (there are better routes to get this far south). Molesworth or Rainbow Road are worth considering for some unsealed roads.

Chch is OK to fly into now but is a little disorganised at present but quickly getting back on its feet. Will be OK when you arrive.

Last edited by Steve0000; 09-12-10 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-12-10, 04:24 AM
Weetbix

Bikes: 07 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Christchurch has just been destroyed by an earthquake ...
Far from it. I live in Christchurch and it is by no means destroyed. The quake left almost every house with some form of damage but 99.99% of the houses are still standing. Central city was shut down for a week while engineers assessed the buildings for damage, but everything is almost back to normal in the CBD - there was moderate to serious damage to a number of old brick buildings in town, some of which have now been demolished.

Don't let the earthquake put off any plans to visit Christchurch and see all of its attractions, everything is still here & operating, we are a resilient bunch.

West Coast of South Island is probably your best bet for accommodation & lighter traffic over the holiday period late December & New Years. I would avoid central otago region during that time, it's just too busy and too much traffic which is quite dangerous. The West Coast is much wetter than the east but that's to be expected, the temperatures should be fine around that time of year. If you are planning on heading way down south around the Southland area, Feb/March is your best time for some decent weather - Southland gets pretty crap weather right up to mid-late January (I lived there 18 years so I ought to know).
Old 09-12-10, 05:24 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Well that's good to hear. The way the news here was going on about it, it sounded like most of Christchurch would have to be pulled down because the buildings had sustained that much damage.
Old 09-13-10, 03:52 AM
luxlumis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great tips, thanks!

I'll avoid Southland until February then.

In the crazyguyonabike journals I've come across the question whether it's better to cycle clockwise or anti-clockwise. I've searched a bit for the prevailing wind directions, but haven't really come up with anything helpful so far. Any experiences here?

If it's better to cycle clockwise, I could simply take the train or bus to the West coast, and start my trip there. This would also mean that it'll be summer by the time I reach Southland then. If it's advisable to cycle anti-clockwise, I could start out from Christchurch directly.
Old 09-15-10, 04:56 AM
fks
Shoot Your Car

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I would do the North Island first, start in Aukland, head north up to Cape Reinga then back along the north coast to the Coramandel then to East Cape and south to Wellington, around to New Plymouth and then north again to Hamilton then back south to Wellington through the middle of the Nth Island.

Catch the ferry from Wellington to Picton then down the east coast of the Sth Island to Christchurch. Get out to the Banks Penninsula ( very steep hills) From ChCh head towards Tekapo and the Mckenzie Country , get to Queenstown via the Crown Saddle and spend as little time in Queenstown as possible $$$ expensive and over priced.

Catch the TSS Earnslaw across the lake to link up with the back road to Te Anau, ride up to Milford Sound. Head back to Te Anau and then to Invercargill and then through the Catlins to Dunedin. Take the Taieri Gorge Railway train and then do the Central Rail Trail. From Cromwell head over to Wanaka and the to Haast and up the West Coast heading back towards Wesport and Nelson, Try to get to Farewell Spit and then back to Picton and you will have seen more of NZ than most Kiwis.

The best guide books are the Pedallers' Paradise series (one book for each Island), you will be able to find a tent space at most motorcamps, a stove is only needed for bush camping.
Old 09-17-10, 06:11 PM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It has been a long time since I was in NZ. There are lots of campgrounds and hostels. I can think of one that would always have a bed. Other side is many of the more urban hostels will fill up fast.

The one I am thinking of was officially primative, it was the old lodging for the hands on a sheep farm. I was off season and the only person there. Toilets, showers and beds, nothing more. remembering some of the campgrounds if yuo have a tent and are alone I think they would usually find a way to squeze you in.

Again urban or site specific campgrounds (Like the one closest to Mt Cook) are the ones that will fill up. Either have reservations or a backup plan for such.

Oh and do not let your timeline slide too much. The Rugby World cup starts Sept 9, 2011. At that point rooms will be at a super premium.
Old 10-01-10, 12:47 AM
alpine girl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wanted to add to the replies above that yes, the west coast of the south island is stunning, but my favourite bit is the south-east coast between Dunedin and Invercargill. There's a lot less going on around here so depends what you like, it's a bit like the remoter parts of Scotland or southern Patagonia. If you do end up in this area, I can recommend the hostel at Surat Bay with sealions on the neighbouring beach.
Old 10-01-10, 10:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The one with the Airport on it??