Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Old 08-29-11, 10:18 PM
lsingsaas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I think its great that you posted this up. Wow, even a good ol Bell helmet. Hope you and your rear wheel spokes did well and had a great time. Have you ever thought of doing some touring again? There are loads of bikes suitable for touring now, and a really big selection of panniers and such compared to even 15 years ago.
That bike was fantastic. I still mourn its disappearance. I still have the helmet. I just started riding again (my sister's 20-year old Diamond Back Mountian Bike) about 1 month ago, after a 21 year dry spell, and ordered some maps from Adventure Cycling in Missoula, Montana. The Colorado trip, which I took, in 1979 was sponsored by Adventure Cycling's predecessor, Bikecentennial. The maps should take me from San Diego through Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming then Montana. I don't know when it is going to happen, how long it's going to take, or exactly how it is going to place, but it is going to happen.
Old 08-29-11, 10:19 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
Fresh back from a brief (long weekend) shake-down ride is my '84 Lotus Odyssey. I have been working on this for a while, and short of lighting, I am pretty much finished. This will give me a chance to put the '83 Expedition through a complete re-build. I intentionally took way too much stuff just to see how it handled, and it handled wonderfully. The bike has low trail (opposite of the Expedition). I was a bit nervous becuase it is fairly squirlly unladen, but with loaded back-rollers on the front, it sails right along.

Old 08-29-11, 10:45 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by lsingsaas
That bike was fantastic. I still mourn its disappearance. I still have the helmet. I just started riding again (my sister's 20-year old Diamond Back Mountian Bike) about 1 month ago, after a 21 year dry spell, and ordered some maps from Adventure Cycling in Missoula, Montana. The Colorado trip, which I took, in 1979 was sponsored by Adventure Cycling's predecessor, Bikecentennial. The maps should take me from San Diego through Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming then Montana. I don't know when it is going to happen, how long it's going to take, or exactly how it is going to place, but it is going to happen.
well, whatever rides you do, short long whatever, do get a modern helmet. When I had my first helmet around 20 odd years ago, it was way ahead of the old Bells for ventilation. Nowadays, very affordable ones (like $20) offer waaaaaaay better ventilation than my first one. I have a med priced one, about $50-60 and even in hot hot weather it is just fantastic, plus the visors on helmets really help with sun also.
Getting back into biking is great, take it easy and regular rides of even short lengths will be fine for getting back into biking shape.

all the best
Old 08-29-11, 10:48 PM
djb

balinda--very purdy bike.

Although both Thomas and Percy would be saying "don't cross chain"....
Old 08-30-11, 08:22 AM
aceofspaids

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balindamood
That is a great looking bike! What size chain rings are you running on that crank, do you have any problems with that large of a jump?
Old 08-30-11, 08:28 AM
djb

its certainly a classic half step looking setup isnt it? (I presume there is a middle chainring in there somewhere). Half steps started petering out in the 90s as 7 and 8 speeds became the norm. My 90 tourer didnt have it, 50/50/28.

Is that crank a 48/44/28 or 24?
Old 08-30-11, 08:48 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
48-45-24. It came with 50-45-28, but I switched to a 7-speed freewheel and needed the extra low end. No problem with the chianring jump, though there is not enough RD chain wrap to use the bottom three gears of the freewheel with the granny gear...not a buig deal. I have found that the 80's Suntour Mountech front derailuers will take almost anything and seem to be pretty bullet prorf (the Mounjtech rear derailleurs are not so hot). I do not normally cross chain, but flipped it into low when I pulled into the driveway and did not notice which chainring I was in (the glories of half-step)
Old 08-30-11, 07:55 PM
djb

re:cross chaining comment, just razzing you...

but wow, the 21 tooth jump, quite a jump. Im used to the 16 jump from my 24 to 40 and even that is quite a finger ballet of up two or three gears at teh back with one finger and down to the granny with the other. My bike too was/is a seven speed and I too needed to bring the gearing down, hence the 24 (its about a 21 or 22 gear inch with the 30 tooth rear)

Its interesting to realize how "antiquated" our bikes are gearing wise, and its great how modern derailleurs, 9 speeds and the many available cassettes with good teeth ranges make both climbing, flat riding and shifting more convienent. Yes, these bikes work and I had a gas doing trips on my bike, but will gladly take tighter gearing, non-downtube shifting and all that. Its all for the better, and normal, stuff improves.

cheers
Old 08-31-11, 04:50 PM
lsingsaas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
well, whatever rides you do, short long whatever, do get a modern helmet. When I had my first helmet around 20 odd years ago, it was way ahead of the old Bells for ventilation. Nowadays, very affordable ones (like $20) offer waaaaaaay better ventilation than my first one. I have a med priced one, about $50-60 and even in hot hot weather it is just fantastic, plus the visors on helmets really help with sun also.
Getting back into biking is great, take it easy and regular rides of even short lengths will be fine for getting back into biking shape.

all the best
My brother and sister-in-law bought me a great, new helmet for my birthday with blinking rear, red lights no less. It's a Bell Arella (and your absolutely right about the visor). I did a 41 mile, "hill"ish ride the other day and felt completely recovered the day after, although I take the hills real slow and in the lowest gear.
Old 08-31-11, 07:26 PM
djb

Those red flashies really do the trick. At night, as a car driver I am always amazed from how far away you see them blinking. Im sure they have saved loads of lives, and you can find good quality ones at a very reasonable price so they are on both front and back of all the bikes in the family. 60k, 40 mi ride , glad it went well (hill-ish and not hell-ish) and yup, listening to your legs and using the low gears is the trick. You just keep on trucking along and over the weeks and months, you end up using higher and higher gears and still feel fine.
Old 09-02-11, 06:03 PM
jan191976

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soma Double Cross I just finished get built, I really like it some far. Using it for commuting right now but have plans for touring in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0508.jpg (97.1 KB, 230 views)
Old 09-05-11, 04:15 AM
PhotoWhit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some How I must be lost, I thought this thread was for "LOADED RIGS"

So this is what my Loaded Rig looked like when I started out a days ride to Key West, feb 13th 1999.

And after wandering much of the east coast, Columbus Ga, Outer Banks, North to Maine, Not being allowed into Canada(my Fl DL had a PO box, I had tools of my trade, cameras, and no destination, I just wanted to go down hill!),Down the St Lawrence Seaway, then a quick photo at a covered bridge in Eastern Ohio, perhaps 5000mi into my 7000mi trip and still(?) smiling!

Lots of fun! at one point I figured I was consuming 7000+ calories and loosing weight!

Gorilla camped the whole way, while going around NYC I was in a pretty metropolitan area and it was getting late, a teen age girl said I was welcome to camp where I was looking down a one lane gravel road, so I found an out of the way place along the road and pitched my tent, got up at dawn and road on down the road past the tennis courts(2) and covered pool befor riding past the mansion! glad security didn't catch me!

Along the St Lawrence Seaway I road up and parked my bike by the road and walked down to a marina for supplies, when I got back there was another bike with BOB trailer pointing at mine. Just a fellow traveler going to a Rainbow gathering. I bought one of his bracelets, and gave him one of my magnets(from photos something I was doing to make a dollar or 2).

After visiting my brother in Cincy I went up as far as Mukeegan(?) Mich when I heard the ferry to Green Bay would charge me car rates for a car and trailer, I went down and around Chy town and up to the Twin City's, Minniapolis/St Paul, back to Red Wing and straight shot south down 63 to Columbus (actually Jeff City and back to Columbus) where I hoped to work for the winter and head out in the spring...

I did make it back home to Tallahassee Fl in 2003 for my Dad's 80th birthday, with the BOB again, but it was just a visit and I headed back to Missouri, almost befor the snow flew. I choose a Giant mountain bike and had a more comfortable ride, if a bit slower.

That made 4 trips of over 1000 miles, Ooops did I forget the trip from Tallahassee to Natchez, the Natchez trace across Tenn to the Blue ridge Pkwy and Sky Line drive (yes I met the cookie Lady!, even went to church with her! My photos in her book a day behind the cancer surviver doing the Blue ridge with his dog who rode in a trailer down the hills and helped pull the bike and trailer up the hills) and a nice ride from Front Royal right into DC, I think there was only 1 light with all the bike paths! Very Cool! Visited my Aunt and Uncle and then off to Maryland shore and the Maritime Museum ( a neat place) and a bit more wandering... Yes I was an animal then, but no BOB, lots of fun, gotta have front panniers in the hills adds tons of stability!

Figure with shorter trips I've got 14-15K of loaded touring, at 51(52 shortly) I don't know if I'll finish my goal of 20K of loaded touring, haven't done much but look at my bike in the last 4 years, but it's been fun!!!

"All who wander are not lost"
-Whit
Old 09-05-11, 05:17 AM
PhotoWhit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I should mention the bike is an early "Crack 'n fail" Cannondale, and I had no problem with the frame, I had replaced the bottom bracket with a phil wood after haveing 2 fail during the Natchez and BlueRidge Pkwy trip.

I rebuilt the 40 spoke Sansun(?) wheels when i got back to Tallahassee ( I wandered the state a bit), I had hit a curb or rock or something and had 2 pull through with the rim cracking, No broken spokes though! The rebuild lasted until I was in Ill, so @ 5000 miles with a few broken spokes, but nothing too bad, I had to rebuild the rear again with what I could find, the tensions were all over the place and I had some spokes stripping out, I pulled the rear and spent a moring replacing and evening the tennsion and it made the rest of the trip.

The bags are Kirkland on the front(not very good too wide) and Cycle Smith on the rear, Love them!!! The tent on top of the BOB is waiting to be dried out at lunch and fits inside of the Cycle Smith Apex pannier, with room to spare. A Quest 5th season tent wasn't a bad choice if you spend 200+ days in a tent, during a perticularly wet year. Wish they still made quality tents.

Those funky shorts are actually Trek 2xl baggy cycling shorts, I liked them! When the outsides wore out I saved the padded insert and sewed them into other shorts. Please note the B52 water bottle holder! held a 1.5 liter water bottle. It was nice when traveling, wish they still made them.

Last edited by PhotoWhit; 09-05-11 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-05-11, 07:26 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
PhotoWhit: Some How I must be lost, I thought this thread was for "LOADED RIGS"

Ah, no. You're not lost, this is the place to post your loaded bike pics.

There's been a lot of branching and side commentary and whatever, but the main trunk of this thread is pictures of loaded bikes.

Thanks for your posts!
Old 09-05-11, 11:22 AM
djb

Originally Posted by PhotoWhit
Please note the B52 water bottle holder! held a 1.5 liter water bottle. It was nice when traveling, wish they still made them.
a friend of mine has a similar one on his bike, they used to sell it at MEC here in Canada but he told me it is not sold anymore. I can see it being really handy to have a big bottle on that tube, and then regular sized ones wherever you can fit them.

heck of a trip you did!
Old 09-08-11, 10:11 AM
DW99
Senior Lurker, mostly.

Bikes: '02 Raleigh C40, '10 Fuji Touring, and a refurbished '82 (I think) Motobecane Grand Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, this is the place! Thanks for posting, very interesting.
Old 09-09-11, 08:38 PM
degan

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts
We started at sea level 2200 miles and 35 days ago.
Old 09-16-11, 06:01 AM
ekibayno
Sage

Bikes: Chesini Precision 84, Kuota Kredo, Sabbath Silk Route, Van Nicholas Pioneer,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sabbath Silk Route Titanium with Columbus Tusk Trekking Carbon Fork

Unloaded

Last edited by ekibayno; 09-16-11 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Add caption.
Old 09-16-11, 06:43 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Haven't been here in a while.

Degan - awesome, I totally loved that road up Tensleep canyon!
ekibayo - sweet bike
photoWhit - um, yeah, that's loaded all right! Whatcha got in there?
Old 09-16-11, 08:42 AM
Lasse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ekibayno, nice looking bike! What bottle holder is that on the first shot, holding the Trangia fuel bottle? Is it the one litre fuel bottle? Does it work well?
Old 09-17-11, 06:47 AM
ekibayno
Sage

Bikes: Chesini Precision 84, Kuota Kredo, Sabbath Silk Route, Van Nicholas Pioneer,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lasse, no it's the 500ml Trangia bottle - there is not enough fender clearance for the 1 litre bottle, but a cage which mounted lower might provide clearance. The bottle is in a neoprene holder to ensure the cage grips it firmly. It works well, and 500ml is sufficient for my needs.

The small cages are Salsa stainless steel and the large one is a BBB Fuel Tank XL. It replaced the Topeak Modula XL cage with its flimsy top fastening, which broke after very little use.
Old 09-17-11, 08:20 AM
apsykes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reggie, my bike, fully laden at the Passo della Cisa in Italy about half way along the Eurovelo 5 in 2010. More details at www.eurovelo.com or read the book of the adventure: Good Vibrations: Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie.
Happy cycling
Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
reggie.jpg (89.4 KB, 359 views)
Old 09-19-11, 02:02 PM
PhotoWhit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
photoWhit - um, yeah, that's loaded all right! Whatcha got in there?
Camera equipment, mat cutter and mat board scraps I picked up along the way, I was cutting small (think 3x4") mats and mounting photos with magnets on the back and selling them along the way. It's a great way to meet locals and chat, and provides enough if your gorrilla camping to exist, though I did spend a small amount of my own money ($12-1400) I made at least that much along the way, figured about $2K. and met lots of locals. I also bought a few cameras and shipped to a friend back home, who did camera shows, something i had done in the past.

I think if I was to do it today, I might be able to do it with a digital camera and a hand button machine and magnets, and a net book or tablet and not need the trailer for camera, mat cutter, and negatives.

It was fun though, and I got down to 265lbs eating 8000 calories aday!!! Even with the heavy rig I managed several centuries!

Just saw a top 10 best drives in the country and I've done 3 of them on my bike! Overseas Highway, Skyline Drive, Brandywine Valley on my bike! Though I would say Natchez Trace in the early spring is awsome, think carpet of flower and butterflies! I highly recomend Natchez Trace for riders of all ages, lots of places to stop and see things, lots of free camp grounds! including free campgrounds just for cyclist and hikers, though it can be hard to get information about them.
Old 09-20-11, 06:34 AM
bagxlee

Bikes: Surly Cross Check | IRO Mark V fixed | Mercier Kilo TT SS | '74 Viscount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My girlfriend and I just did our first long-weekend tour up the coast of Northern Michigan. We didn't have a lot of extra cash to spend on light / compact gear. Also, my girlfriend was struggling with the hills so I had most of the weight on my bike.

It was... heavy.

Also this:

Last edited by bagxlee; 09-20-11 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-20-11, 07:46 AM
Gus Riley
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bagxlee
My girlfriend and I just did our first long-weekend tour up the coast of Northern Michigan. We didn't have a lot of extra cash to spend on light / compact gear. Also, my girlfriend was struggling with the hills so I had most of the weight on my bike.

It was... heavy.

Also this:
I'll have to try carrying wood that way...I never thought of it. Dah! But I think I'll keep it down to just one night's supply at a time!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.