Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

REALLY well-ventilated winter cycling jacket recommendations

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 09:35 PM
mattstuehler

Bikes: 2000 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1990 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I commute to work on my bike in Massachusetts (~10 miles each way), plus longer weekend rides, and I'm having a hard time dialing in my clothing this winter. Either I start out freezing, or end up sweating too much if I add another layer.

So - I'm hoping to find a REALLY well ventilated, breathable cycling jacket - ideally with pit-zips, zippered chest vents, and vents on the back. Something that lets me really adjust as I heat up during the ride.

I typically won't ride if it's cold AND threatening rain, so waterproofing isn't a consideration (but wind-proofing on the front would be nice). So, I'm probably leaning towards a soft shell.

I don't mind spending some money if it's worth it (comfort = happiness = more rides = more miles), so $200+ is OK if necessary.

Bottom line - something that's warm, but with the maximum number of ventilation options to give me a wide range of temp adjustments without having to remove layers during the ride.

Recommendations much appreciated!

Last edited by mattstuehler; 01-22-15 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-23-15, 09:32 AM
TomCat_Ford

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattstuehler
Either I start out freezing ...
I hate to break it to you, but that's pretty much how it goes when it's cold. If you want to be warm at the start of your ride, you're most likely going to be too warm once you actually get warmed up. I dress for how I'll feel once I'm warmed up. Does the prewarmup suck? Yes, it does. But once I'm warmed up, I'm all set.
Old 01-23-15, 10:11 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,210 Posts
You're looking for the right things -- pit zips, back vents, add a two-way zipper if you'd like. I appreciate the fabric collar of my Showers Pass jacket, but there are a lot of similar jackets available between $100-200.

Have you visited a few local bike shops? I'd bet there are many bike shops in or near Boston that carry similar jackets, and one of those would have the one you want. It's also likely to be a better shopping experience than asking a few dozen strangers living all across the planet, and then dealing with a web site that doesn't mention the one you decided on is back ordered for 4 months.
Old 01-23-15, 10:46 AM
fotooutdoors

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, One-One Inbred 29er, Blue Norcross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed with the comment on starting out cold; you either need to start out cold, or layer down 10 minutes into your ride.

As far as a jacket, get a cross-country ski jacket. I have a Craft, though other companies also make good options. Mine is nearly windproof in the front, seals at the sleeves, and has a jersey-like material in the back, which allows it to vent well. The main fabric is tightly woven ployester (it is thin), and there is mesh inside. Basically, it offers little insulation, but excellent windblocking.

As a side note, make sure to separate windblocking from insulation. If you add enough insulation, it will generally block wind, but then the lee of your body/head/legs/etc will be overheating. Instead, get good windblocking where you need it (your front), and insulate as needed. In the winter, I don't wear more than a wool baselayer under my jacket, though I admittedly run warmer than most. This is despite the fact that the jacket offers little insulation.
Old 01-23-15, 01:16 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Don't go with a bike jacket. Try a wind proof fleece vest, base layer and a wool sweater. Try the New Balance outlet store in Brighton. Look for a windproof running jacket. Windproof on the front, mesh knit elsewhere. Absolutely would recommend wool base layers, I like the Patagonia ones. Worth every penny. I'm North of Boston too, commute to Brighton on a regular basis.
Old 01-23-15, 04:27 PM
mattstuehler

Bikes: 2000 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1990 Trek 1400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for the comments so far.

Initially, I tried a wool base layer and mid-weight fleece pullover or wool sweater; the cold cut right through that. So, I tried a heavy-weight North Face fleece jacket, and sweated like crazy.

So I went back to the mid-weight fleece, and covered it with wind-proof Pearl Izumi Barrier Jacket. That kept me warm at first, but I was sweat-soaked at the end, because the jacket doesn't vent particularly well.

So, that's what I'm hoping to find - a lightweight, wind-proof jacket that'll top off a base layer and mid-weight insulating layer, with plenty of venting options to modulate my temp.

So far - sounds like Leebo's suggestion for a vest instead, and the common suggestion to start out cold, is the best I'm going to do.
Old 01-25-15, 07:54 AM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use a J&G rain jacket as my outer layer and a Sport Hill cross country ski jacket as my mid layer. I wear these at about 42f/5c all the way down to the negative digits. Adding layers underneath to adjust to the cold.

Last edited by scoatw; 03-13-15 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-28-15, 10:40 PM
mjohnsona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RS 220 Jacket ? SUGOI Performance Apparel

This is what I use and I commute down to -15F in this jacket with three layers underneath. When I'm stopped, I can see the steam rising from my body so it must be pretty good for ventilation. It has served me pretty well, and I use it up to 41F so it's pretty versatile.
Old 01-30-15, 08:43 AM
trainsktg

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
The only 'winter' jacket I have experience with is a Showers Pass Double Century. It has underarm zippered side vents and a large flap-covered rear vent. It doesn't provide much in the way of insulation but its breathable and eliminates the wind chill. I've used it down to the mid 20s (the coldest its gotten here this winter) wearing a long sleeve thermal base layer under a long sleeve athletic shirt.

If it warms up during the ride, it can be removed and squashed down into a very small space. Its unusually warm here right now, mid 50s, so I've eliminated the thermal base and am now just wearing the long sleeved shirt underneath.

Keith

Last edited by trainsktg; 01-30-15 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-30-15, 10:06 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've got a Showers Pass Elite 2.1 that I originally bought as my rain jacket, but I have ended up using it as my main winter jacket regardless of the weather. It is incredibly well ventilated with breathable fabric as well as pit zips, a large back vent and sleeve cuffs that can be opened wider. I generally wear it with just a single long-sleeve base layer in temps down to the 20s. For temps in the teens, I add a long-sleeve jersey as well.
Old 01-30-15, 01:02 PM
Matt144

Bikes: All-City Space Horse

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Novara Ferndale Quilted Bike Jacket - Men's - REI.com
I use the Novara quilted jacket. It's great with just a tight longsleeve baselayer down to 30 degrees. Lower than that, I throw a merino sweater on in between. I'm in DC, we get almost as cold as you guys in Boston, but not quite as windy.
Old 01-30-15, 01:21 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by mattstuehler
I commute to work on my bike in Massachusetts (~10 miles each way), plus longer weekend rides, and I'm having a hard time dialing in my clothing this winter. Either I start out freezing, or end up sweating too much if I add another layer.

So - I'm hoping to find a REALLY well ventilated, breathable cycling jacket - ideally with pit-zips, zippered chest vents, and vents on the back. Something that lets me really adjust as I heat up during the ride.

I typically won't ride if it's cold AND threatening rain, so waterproofing isn't a consideration (but wind-proofing on the front would be nice). So, I'm probably leaning towards a soft shell.

I don't mind spending some money if it's worth it (comfort = happiness = more rides = more miles), so $200+ is OK if necessary.

Bottom line - something that's warm, but with the maximum number of ventilation options to give me a wide range of temp adjustments without having to remove layers during the ride.

Recommendations much appreciated!
Check out snowboard jackets, I have an old Bonfire jacket that has pit vents from the wrist all the way up the arm to half way down the side.

I looked at their new jackets and I didn't see anything like this any more (it's like 10 years old). Check out The House for a large selection of snowboard jackets.
Old 01-30-15, 01:37 PM
bigredkevbot

Bikes: 2015 All-City Spacehorse, 2014 Specialized Allez Race, Mid 80s Takara Acknowledge Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say avoid venting, invest in either a gore-tex material jacket (Marmot makes some, as well as other brands like 7Mesh) or something like Search and State's cycling jacket. These materials can breathe very well without exposing you to the cold. Combine with with smart breathable layering (a softshell and a good thermal baselayer) and it's good enough for the New England winter. I have a jacket with 4 vents currently and I wear a polartec shell underneath and it's not good enough in terms of breathability.
Old 01-30-15, 03:36 PM
sing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I've got a Showers Pass Elite 2.1 that I originally bought as my rain jacket, but I have ended up using it as my main winter jacket regardless of the weather. It is incredibly well ventilated with breathable fabric as well as pit zips, a large back vent and sleeve cuffs that can be opened wider. I generally wear it with just a single long-sleeve base layer in temps down to the 20s. For temps in the teens, I add a long-sleeve jersey as well.

Ditto the Shower Pass Elite. I've been using this with a combination of base and mid-weight layers from fall through spring. The pit zips and back vents give added range and versatility. Zippered chest and side pockets are nice to keep things (phone, keys, wallet) secured but accessible.

I have a nine mile ride from my outskirt neighborhood to the downtown office. I start off fully zipped and slightly cold. I usually start zippering down front zip by mile 2, and then arm pits sometime there after if it's over 20 degrees.

sing
Old 01-31-15, 10:00 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
I have two different winter cycling jackets that have worked wonderfully for me, and I would recommend them both highly...except they're both discontinued. Not sure what I'm going to do if either of them get destroyed.

But fwiw, neither of them have pit zips, and any jacket I've had that did was useless. What I prefer is a fabric that breathes, and large expanses of it. On both of my jackets the entire back, as well as the back side of the arms, is a very breathable fabric. Like, so breathable that when you first walk outdoors at the start of a ride you can feel a dramatic temeperature difference between your front & your back. But it works fabulously for venting during a ride.

I also really like the way Assos does their front closure: A huge, easy-to-grab zipper pull, combined with a separate collar closure. Makes it very easy to open & close the front for ventilation one-handed at speed.
Old 01-31-15, 10:17 AM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by fotooutdoors
Agreed with the comment on starting out cold; you either need to start out cold, or layer down 10 minutes into your ride.
^^^^. This is the correct information. Make sure the fabric next to your skin wicks well, like merino wool, wear wool on your hands and feet as well. When you warm up after 10 minutes or so (assuming you started out a bit cold) you will be fine for the remainder of your ride, and arrive with minimal sweat on your clothes. A soft shell, breathable outer jacket layer is a must, but don't over do the layers, you don't want to get too warm. Break the wind with your outer layers, this is the most important for stating comfortable in the winter winds.
Old 02-08-15, 08:23 AM
Diablito

Bikes: Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a Mavic Inferno jacket which works great. In 40° I wear a short sleeve Kore wicking tee. Vents all closed when I start the ride then when I get warmed up I start opening the fore arm vent, the armpit vents then if I need I open the rear vent which runs across the back from left to right. In 27° I use an LL Bean medium polar tec top. All vents closed when I start and fore arm and armpits open after. If you open the back (exposes fleece insulation) the air will circulate from forearms right out to the back and I freeze so back zipper stays closed. I probably won't wear this jacket in over 50° weather unless I'm naked under haha. Competitive cycles has the for about $150

Best cycling jacket I have ever work. Even comes with a removable fleeve balaclava
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ma...acket-mens?s=a

Last edited by Diablito; 02-08-15 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-08-15, 09:09 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
This question has taken different shapes and forms in various threads.

Winter cycling is similar to back-country skiing in terms of exertion and speed and for my commuting I have had very good results from wearing uninsulated, unvented flexible softshell ski ski jackets and pants, with woolen layers underneath, and a lightweight hardshell jacket in my pannier, in case things get nasty.

There are a lot of good back country skiing outerwear makers, but not that many makers of superior fabrics. The standout fabrics are made by Schoeller, (Dryskin and Nanotech are the most common), but Polartec and Gore have good windproof/breathable fabrics as well. Good softshell is pricey, but it lasts and lasts, and is worth it in the end.

Last edited by Archwhorides; 02-08-15 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-08-15, 03:49 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredkevbot
I would say avoid venting, invest in either a gore-tex material jacket (Marmot makes some, as well as other brands like 7Mesh) or something like Search and State's cycling jacket. These materials can breathe very well without exposing you to the cold. Combine with with smart breathable layering (a softshell and a good thermal baselayer) and it's good enough for the New England winter. I have a jacket with 4 vents currently and I wear a polartec shell underneath and it's not good enough in terms of breathability.
Noooo! Never use gore-tex or any other waterproof shell when doing anything slightly excerting (walking for a long distance for example). It's akin to wearing a plastic bag. Gore-tex does not breathe (they say it does, it really doesn't). I can't use my gore shell in anything even if I have all thr vents and pockets open.
Old 02-08-15, 06:25 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
I was in the same boat you are at. I've tried everything under the sun but for super cold conditions (single numbers and below F) ,nothing is better then military surplus Polar Fleece jackets. (ECWS) Mine will take me down to 8F and then wear a wind breaker jacket over that. (Must be the breathable type.) This combo will take me down to-10F or more.
Old 02-09-15, 05:32 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Noooo! Never use gore-tex or any other waterproof shell when doing anything slightly excerting (walking for a long distance for example). It's akin to wearing a plastic bag. Gore-tex does not breathe (they say it does, it really doesn't). I can't use my gore shell in anything even if I have all thr vents and pockets open.
I have different type of jackets and i use my waterproof-breathable jacket when i have to walk in winter even under a high level of exertion like climbing a hill. With wool under it's perfect to cut wind and protect from wet snow.
When i ride (higher level of exertion) i prefer the icebreaker blast jacket it has venting at the back and a wind resistant layer at the front but i could go with my waterproof-breathable jacket just it wouldn't be the best option for me.
It breath quite well. New waterproof-breathable jackets breath better than older designs. I don't find mine being a plastic bag anymore and i sweat a lot.
Old 02-10-15, 01:33 PM
Lou Skannon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an ICEPEAK jacket which I find is light-weight, warm and has the all-important pit-zips. Pit-zips are the only thing that gives any worth-while ventilation in my opinion.
Old 02-10-15, 11:32 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
For a light wind jacket, I use a Voler Jet. Packs down to the size of a large orange. Breathes well. Is not waterproof.

For insulation and wind resistance combined, I use a PI Elite Softshell. It's a good jacket, but it's bulky so you can't take it off - just unzip the front and the front of underlayers as necessary. I mostly use the Softshell if it's going to be dry and the Voler if it might rain.
Old 02-12-15, 11:55 AM
tekhna

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The backpacking world's really got windproof/resistant and breathable down. Checkout a Patagonia Houdini, if the arms are long enough for you. In the winter I don't use much cycling gear because, for the most part, outdoor companies make better winter gear. I ride with a wool base layer, a Patagonia R1 (the hood is a godsend) and either a Patagonia Houdini or my heavier Goretex shell depending on conditions.
Old 03-06-15, 08:09 PM
Fissile

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Foxwear windproof fleece. The front panels of the jacket are windproof to keep the cold from cutting through you. the sides and back are breathable fleece. It seems like a good balance of wind protection and ventilation. Since all the outer bits are fleece, it is quiet.

Foxwear Store | Custom Sports Outerwear | Salmon, ID

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.