Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Facemask/hoods

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Facemask/hoods

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-15, 03:42 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Facemask/hoods

When it is below 40 I tend to wear a hood over my face and ski goggles. It doesnt bother me to ride breathing through the fabric although my girl who rides with me says she cannot breath too well wearing one, she prefers the cold air. It keeps the air Im breathing warmer and I figure it filters some of the exhaust fumes from going directly into my lungs, which is why I like winter cycling. What I would like to know is if it is bad for you to breath under a hood, similar to how sleeping at night with your face covered by a pillow or blanket. Any guesses on the long term affects it has on health?

Attached Images

Last edited by Wallonthefloor; 02-06-15 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-06-15, 11:30 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe try something thin like this: Amazon.com: Cycling Sports Face Mask Cool Fashionable Ultra Thin Balaclava (Black): Sports & Outdoors

I use one of those when it's below 10 degrees. 40 degrees I just rock a headband and sunglasses. No issues breathing through it either way.
Old 02-06-15, 11:32 PM
Lou Skannon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It probably gives your lungs a good work-out if you are breathing thro' a facemask. You will suck in some of the same air twice; cutting down your oxygen intake. This will make you breath deeper especially up-hill or into the wind. More carbon dioxide, less oxygen.
Old 02-07-15, 06:38 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like the Seirus neoprene face masks and balaklavas.

They keep your face warm but don't interfere with breathing. I have a plain fabric balaklava as well but don't like the way that it gets damp in front of my nose and mouth. I wouldn't count on one to "filter" any exhaust fumes either. Probably no health issues with breathing through a balaclava, just personal preference.
Old 02-08-15, 07:36 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
No mask, unless designed to using proper filters, will filter anything other than perhaps dust.
I use a tube hat that is also designed to be used as a neck warmer...it is open at the top with a draw string...awesome device. It is made of mid weight fleece. I just pull it around my neck and up over my top lip to keep out most of the cold air. Works great but it does get a bit wet and/or frozen when it is very cold.

I've tried the neoprene masks but find they are too tight around the back of my neck and the hook/loop material irritates the back of my neck...I don't use one any more.

I too use ski/snow board glasses/goggles? in the winter. My eyes used to get so cold as the air goes right around the glasses. The ski glasses work great. I also use them when snow blowing my driveway...works great...no more eye pain from the cold but they do make looking over your shoulder when riding a bit more difficult and I may use a mirror in the winter for an easier view of what is behind me.