Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel Set Replacement Advice/Verification

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 03:12 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts

I have a Specialized Crosstrail bought in 2016 that I am looking to replace both wheels. I have been searching the internet for a few weeks with no real match till someone on another thread talked about Velomine as a source for wheels. And sure enough I found a wheel set that matches(I think). My current wheels are:

SDX-200 ETRTO 622x18c 6061 MADDUX, 32 spokes, 23.5 MM outside diameter, 18 MM inside diameter. Front wheel dropout is 100 MM and rear dropout is 135 MM. 10 speed cassette. Disc brakes. 700x35c tires.

Here is what I found:

https://velomine.com/products/dt533-..._fid=83c4094da

Shimano Deore 32 Hole Hubs
Shimano and SRAM 8, 9 10 Speed Cassettes Fit This Wheelset
Shimano 11 speed mountain standard splined cassettes work on this hub.
SRAM 11 speed mountain standard splined and 12 speed NX cassettes also work
DT Swiss 2.0 Champion Spokes
Brass DT Nipples (stronger than alloy and won't corrode)
Includes Quick Releases
700c Clincher
135mm Rear Spacing
100mm Front Spacing
Centerlock Disc rotor compatible
22mm inside to inside rim width
Minimum tire width 1.35" / 28c
2.7" maximum tire width

The reason for the new wheels is that I have had to replace the free hub and some spokes. The wheels have over 25K on them at this point. With the free hub replacement when coasting the cassette wobbles. My Park Tool manual says this is ok, but it looks excessive to me.
Old 04-24-24, 03:23 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 885 Posts
Are you brake discs Center Lock or 6 Bolt?
IF they don't match what you have, you'll also have to buy discs. Maybe you're due anyway??

These rims are about 5MM wider and thus would be more suitable for a fatter tire and slightly less suitable for a narrower tire. They should be totally fine if you're sticking to the 35-38mm tires as factory equipped.
Old 04-24-24, 04:37 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Are you brake discs Center Lock or 6 Bolt?
IF they don't match what you have, you'll also have to buy discs. Maybe you're due anyway??

These rims are about 5MM wider and thus would be more suitable for a fatter tire and slightly less suitable for a narrower tire. They should be totally fine if you're sticking to the 35-38mm tires as factory equipped.
Center lock is what I have and I have a backup set ready to go. Thanks for the advice!