Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

New Bike and type of bike advice needed.

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-19, 06:32 PM
Bvldari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I posted this inside of the Sirrus thread but I think I need a separate thread. I am getting a new bike and I have not ridden in a long time but have spent a lot of time on a road bike. The reason I am back into biking is because my kids just learned how to ride and are now on 20” bikes and I can no longer run after them. This, and I like riding. 😊

My wife bought a Specialized Roll and I found it so comfortable that I also bought the Elite “male” version. I really enjoyed it for a few days until I rode it to work a couple of times and realized that the geometry is way too relaxed for riding hard (when not with kids). I since returned it and am trying to find a better fit.

I (mostly) narrowed it down to the Sirrus and was going to choose between the Elite aluminum or carbon but my bike shop is pushing the X. I initially wrote it off because I disliked the grips and am worried about the relatively limited top end gearing. But after thinking about the type of riding I will be doing I am now thinking the 38mm tires may be a great idea and dealer offered to replace the grips so the X could be a viable option.

But since I started considering the sirrus X, I am now wondering if I should seriously consider a “gravel bike”. It gets me in a more sporty yet supposedly comfortable riding position and allows me to go fast on the road (and off). The Diverge in particular looks great. But pricing for the Diverge apples to apples looks quite a bit more.

My intended use of the bike is:
- ride with my kids “slowly” but comfortably – will include side walk, jumping curbs and other silly things while they learn how to ride.
- short (5 mile round trip) occasional fast commute to work;
- Occasional trails and overall biking with friends.

Finally, I am unsure if I should do an aluminum or carbon frame. I am pretty sure I at least want a carbon fork. On one hand carbon is super nice, on the other hand (especially) if I go hybrid bike, this is already a compromise bike, so spending a lot of money on an inherently compromised bike seems silly?

Any and all advice is welcome especially as respects the sirrus X vs Diverge. I am going to test ride them tomorrow so please let me know if I should look for anything in particular. Thank you.
Old 07-27-19, 06:46 PM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Sounds like you need a hybrid on the sportier end of the spectrum. Maybe a trek fx.
Old 07-27-19, 07:02 PM
Bvldari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbell_64
Sounds like you need a hybrid on the sportier end of the spectrum. Maybe a trek fx.
FX 5 was definitely on my list but I find the Sirrus a better overall fit and more comfortable.
Old 07-28-19, 09:49 PM
Bvldari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to close the loop on this: after spending a while test riding a couple of Sirrus bikes a couple of different diverge bikes I chose the Sirrus X. I believe it is a great fit for what I need now and in the foreseeable near future and was also less money than a Diverge I would have bought. I am fairly certain I will get a drop bars bike in the future too while keeping the Sirrus X for a long time.