Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

I rescued a 'unicorn'!

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

I rescued a 'unicorn'!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-12, 04:41 PM
Cyclepup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rescued a 'unicorn'!

Okay, not really a unicorn but a 2010 Globe Live 3 mixte. This is the bike that I was hoping wasn't too big for me and, as it turns out, it's not!

She was wasting away in a garage, neglected and unwanted. We brought her home, cleaned her up, put a new saddle on her, and here's the result:

I thought I'd ring in the new year by taking her for a 12-mile ride. I think I'm going to love this bike!
Old 01-01-12, 09:29 PM
ka0use

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
beaut. if i outlast my current bike, my next one will be a mixte. is the rack an old man mountain or wald? been wanting to put one on the front of my mtb, but can't get a fitting for the dropouts (they're recessed).
well done, and i bet IT is happy, too!

rodney
Old 01-01-12, 10:01 PM
Cyclepup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rack is a Globe porteur rack, it came with the bike as an OEM part. I love it, it's rated to 20kg.
Old 01-02-12, 05:13 PM
ka0use

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
globe says rack rating is 25kg. load it up!
i noticed it has a belt drive. does it feel different from a chain? nice that it is maintenance free.
will it stretch with time and have to have the rear wheel pulled back a bit? what does the book say
about belt dressing (armor all or something like it)?
i love the color.
i canNOT imagine it not being ridden.
the current model (don't like the almost black color- not cheerful) lists at $1500. did you get a bargain?
oh, and the center stand- it looks like both legs are on the left side when retracted. does it pivot or
swivel?

telllllll me, tell me your little secrets, telllll them to me!
Old 01-04-12, 12:54 AM
Cyclepup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Globe specs say the rack is rated to 25 kg but the rack itself is marked "20 kg max" so I'm going with the rack rating.

The belt drive is NICE. It's so quiet and smooth that I can hardly believe it! I have no idea if the belt will stretch, but if it does I understand there are replacement belts available. I have no idea how to put one on though. I suspect I'll have to take it in for service when the time comes.

I love the color, too! Isn't it awesome? I can't believe my luck! The guy who had it bought it for his wife. She rode it 26.3 miles (he put a Cateye computer on it and that's the total mileage) and decided she didn't like it. It sat in his garage for a year collecting dust and (his words) taking up space.

Globe no longer offers the Live 3 in a mixte frame. They made this model for 2010 and 2011, that's it. YES, I got a bargain. The guy just wanted it out of his way!

Yes, when the kickstand retracts both legs are on the left side. Yes, it appears to swivel when I put it down. I have to look at that closer, but I'm pretty sure it swivels. CORRECTION: The kickstand does not swivel. When I retract it the right side leg draws in to the left side and rides up with the left side leg. I'm not explaining that well at all, but it does not swivel.

I am sooo jazzed that we found this bike!

Last edited by Cyclepup; 03-21-12 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Correct info re: kickstand
Old 01-05-12, 05:38 PM
Nickel
Splicer of Molecules

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you post up some closeup pictures of the belt drive?
Old 03-21-12, 05:10 PM
Cyclepup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally got around to taking pics of the belt drive. For anyone who is interested, I LOVE this bike! Olive, my Allant, has been waiting for a new set of tires so Kirin, my Globe Live 03, has been taking me everywhere. This bike is such fun to ride! The best part is that Pepper's crate for the porteur rack arrived and now he gets to come along, too.

Here's the belt drive:

Old 03-21-12, 05:15 PM
Cyclepup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And here are a couple of Pepper in his custom built crate. It was special ordered from Bates Crates, young Cole Bates being the proprietor. The crate, called the Classic, usually comes with 3 rails but Cole added a 4th for me so Pepper would be more secure when we ride around. Pepper enjoys the ride and has quickly learned how to lean, brace and adjust for any turns, bumps and stops/starts.

Old 03-21-12, 05:26 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Very nice, I like Peppers crate. I just purchased a new 2011 Live 1 and I have been thinking about getting wood fenders for it.
Old 03-22-12, 12:08 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Beautiful! Too bad they didn't put the white tires on your beautiful white bike. I guess they like to contrast the bike against the tires...

They really are beautiful bikes.

Where are you at in SoCal? Angel & I are in Carlsbad, in North San Diego County.
Old 03-22-12, 04:28 PM
Cyclepup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They really are gorgeous bikes and I can't believe there aren't more of the Live 3 mixte's out there. It's such a comfy, fun and functional bike.

Pepper and I are in the Antelope Valley, about 70-miles northeast of Los Angeles.

Angel looks adorable, and I love that cushy bed she rides in! She must be very calm on rides. Pepper stands up and wants to lean forward, like he can make the bike go faster if he leans into the wind. I must be slower on the pedals than I think

I think I would get the white tires too dirty out here. They'd look grungy against that arctic white paint job.
Old 03-22-12, 09:44 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Thanks Cyclepup! Pepper is a lucky fellow!

So glad to see another lucky dog out there enjoying these great bikes. I foolishly loaned my Live 3 to my father and his new dog Rusty, but they love riding around together so much that I don't have the stones to ask for it back.
I was disheartened to learn that Specialized has discontinued this great line of bikes. And then even moreso when I was unable to find a replacement for myself and Angel!

How foolish can Specialized be if they sold every one of these they imported, and no one is willing to sell theirs on Ebay or Craigslist, and they are discontinuing importation of them? I've been searching for another for just under two months, and the closest I was able to find was that Specialized dealerships in Australia still offer them, but they are forbidden by Specialized from sending them to us in the US.

Fortunately my local dealership found and ordered a leftover Live 2 in my size, which we're going to pick up tomorrow. The Live 2 is an identical platform, but with a standard chain drive, rim brakes, and a twist-shifter. I'm going to let Pa & Rusty have first choice of either my used Live 3, or this sparkling new Live 2.

Kudos to you, for having the good taste to scoop up one of these beauties when you could! I can't wait to get Angel back on the road.

She's almost 14 years old now and I think she prefers the bike to themotorcycle.

The color match on the bed was only a happy accident, but I love it that people still pull up next to me at stoplights and say, "Neat that someone finally made a dog bike."

Old 03-23-12, 08:39 AM
Dynocoaster 

Supposedly they have theLive 3 here
https://www.bikeattack.com/67/globe-live-3/
Old 03-23-12, 11:42 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Thanks (again) Dyno. You are one helpful dude!
Not being sarcastic, you're all over this forum helping people.
If Bikeattack has one in XL, they're hording it secretly, because I've checked with 4 different Specialized dealerships and they all said there are none to be had anywhere in the country.
I'm picking up the Live 2 tonight, so I'll either get my beloved Live 3 with matching dogseat back from my Pa, or I'll have this spiffy Live 2 in black...

Old 03-23-12, 04:07 PM
Cyclepup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angel looks great for almost 14! That active living must be doing wonders for her
Old 03-24-12, 05:57 PM
Dynocoaster 

And the Live 1

After riding it I realize I need gears. I think I am going to go with an Sram 2 speed.
Old 03-24-12, 07:54 PM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
i have seen them in costa mesa at surf city cyclery. i liked that globe 8 speed ( i think it was 8) but it only was around one year i think. the lines looked similar.

https://surfcitycyclery.com/articles/...e-now-pg99.htm
Old 03-24-12, 08:15 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by Dynocoaster
And the Live 1

After riding it I realize I need gears. I think I am going to go with an Sram 2 speed.
It's the start of the century season, and I've got a few other high priority irons in the fire, but as soon as I get around to lacing the Rohloff hub into my Globe Live 3, that Alfine 8-speed is all yours Dyno.
Might take me a few months, but no charge. There is a broken tooth or something on 5th gear, but I only notice that when I'm really torquing the pedals from a standstilll, and I notice you don't have clipless pedals (and you're probably not a clumsy lummox like me) so perhaps you'll never notice.
I took the beautiful black Live 2 up to my Pa last night and he was sufficiently smitten by it to relinquish my blue baby back to me.

Cyclepup!: Where did you get that neat crate? I took my Pa's dog Rusty for a ride on the new black bike last night, and he has the attention span of a puppy or something: "OHMIGOSH! A BIRD!!...LOOK! THERE'S A GUY HOSING OFF HIS CAR!!... NEATO! WE'RE GOING AROUND THE CORNER!!"

By the way, these neat, Dutch-style AXA frame locks bolt directly to these Globe bikes very smarly without modification. And you can get them here.

By itself, it won't stop someone from picking up and walking off with your bike, but if you want to eat inside with your bike visible, it will definitely slow down a would-be theif. It works like a car ignition--no key, no rolling.
And they also offer this cable lock that is used in conjunction with the frame lock, for those longer-term situations.

Last edited by calamarichris; 03-24-12 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-24-12, 08:41 PM
Dynocoaster 

Wow, thank you, that is kind of you. I dont do clipless as I feel claustrophobic when I have tried. Congrats on get your bike back and how nice of you to give your dad a brand new bike. I have my dads custom made Luders race bike hanging from the ceiling of my toy room in memory of him.
Old 03-24-12, 08:44 PM
Dynocoaster 

I dont care for the fenders on the bike and would like to get a set of bambo from here,https://www.woodysfenders.com/store/i...6pql0nnf7c5q82 he has some really nice fenders
Old 03-25-12, 12:31 PM
Cyclepup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Calamarichris: I got the crate from Bates Crates. It took Cole (the owner) about 6-weeks to finish and ship the crate. It's exactly what I had asked for! He did a fantastic job.

I'm so glad you got your Live 3 back! Your dad and Rusty are going to love their new Live 2.

I'm going to look into those AXA frame locks. I have no plans of ever leaving Kirin (my Live 3) anywhere where I can't see her for any length of time. I still carry a U-lock, but it would be nice to have that extra feature of the frame lock.

Dynocoaster: Almost any of those bamboo fenders would look gorgeous on your bike!
Old 03-26-12, 09:29 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous.
Old 03-27-12, 01:17 AM
WickedThump

Bikes: Kona JTS Frankenbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dynocoaster
I dont care for the fenders on the bike and would like to get a set of bambo from here,https://www.woodysfenders.com/store/i...6pql0nnf7c5q82 he has some really nice fenders
Prices are very reasonable too. Those would be nice for a steampunk style cruiser.
Old 03-28-12, 10:37 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Nyargh. There's another silly fad I'm looking forward to seeing the death of. There's only one good thing about steampunk.

I guess technically they're two things, but you don't have to dress like a dadburned bandwagon-jumping ninny to show them.
And women of the 19th century would have an attack of the vapors if they saw you dressed like that.

Last edited by calamarichris; 03-28-12 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Found better pic.