Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-14, 02:14 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Yesterday ... walk from home to the doctor's office in the morning ... then to the hospital and back to work at lunch.

Plus the usual lunchtime walks.
Monday ... walked from home to the doctor's office in the morning (that's a 2.2 km walk) ... where I found out I've got kidney stones again. Yay!

Plus the usual lunchtime walks throughout the week.
Old 05-22-14, 08:53 AM
BadBoy10

Bikes: Mercier Mini Velo, Rivendell Quickbeam, 80's Hampton Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was lazy/unmotivated.
I drove to the TriRail/train.
Rode the Tri/Rail/train.
Rode my new Mercier Mini Velo to my job.
2.32 miles.
Old 05-22-14, 09:39 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Spring is here and it is no longer dark on my bike commute in either the AM or PM. Since we're into May, I picked up the lockup bike on the work end of my bike-bus-bike commute, and swapped back to non-studded tires on the uber-commuter. However, both have been seeing little use, since I swapped back to the folding bike.

I moved from one town to another, this time right in the center of town, with library, bank, hospital, dentist, convenience store, yoga studio, bike shop, etc. all in very short walking distance. Grocery store is only a couple miles down the road -- moderate walk or a very short bike ride. The bike shop I mentioned? Also switched PT jobs from a shop about 10 mi away to this one just down the street.

I don't have pix, but since people like wildlife... Where I work at the end of the longer commute, a new business just barely finished putting in a pond before a duck family moved in. Two big ducks -- I assume they are a couple -- and about half a dozen fluffy chicks just losing their yellow fuzz and growing out brown feathers. Although it looks like they have migrated a quarter mile down the road to some legit wetlands with a bunch of other ducks.

Weather has definitely turned and as a result, I've bike commuted or walked to work nearly three weeks straight. So good to be out in the air again!
Old 05-23-14, 10:42 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
It's been great weather for riding! Today, I did a 16 mile run with the trailer, stopping around town to pick up various items (including hair dye, dirt, and groceries.)

Yesterday, after stopping in at the office, I asked myself the important question: Is it possible to ride up Grandad Bluff on a fixed gear? (Grandad Bluff is a big hill in town, and the ride up involves climbing 686 feet in 2.4 miles.) The answer is yes, and it was an accomplishment - the first real hill I've done since leaving California in 2011.

Next time, though, I'm bringing a camera.
Old 05-23-14, 11:21 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Spring is here and it is no longer dark on my bike commute in either the AM or PM. Since we're into May, I picked up the lockup bike on the work end of my bike-bus-bike commute, and swapped back to non-studded tires on the uber-commuter. However, both have been seeing little use, since I swapped back to the folding bike.

I moved from one town to another, this time right in the center of town, with library, bank, hospital, dentist, convenience store, yoga studio, bike shop, etc. all in very short walking distance. Grocery store is only a couple miles down the road -- moderate walk or a very short bike ride. The bike shop I mentioned? Also switched PT jobs from a shop about 10 mi away to this one just down the street.

I don't have pix, but since people like wildlife... Where I work at the end of the longer commute, a new business just barely finished putting in a pond before a duck family moved in. Two big ducks -- I assume they are a couple -- and about half a dozen fluffy chicks just losing their yellow fuzz and growing out brown feathers. Although it looks like they have migrated a quarter mile down the road to some legit wetlands with a bunch of other ducks.

Weather has definitely turned and as a result, I've bike commuted or walked to work nearly three weeks straight. So good to be out in the air again!
It sounds like life is pretty good for you and the ducks now!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-24-14, 07:54 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I am trying to drive less. I was hoping to get rid of my car a few years ago, but it didn't work out. I drive to work, but am pondering an occasional bike commute. Since all of the driving during the week gets old, I have been trying to keep my weekends as car free as possible.

Today at I had a bunch of errands, mostly all accomplished via my bike. I went to the cafe for breakfast and coffee, had an eyebrow appointment, then had to go to the library, stopped at the consignment store and bike shop for a cup holder. Then I went downtown to get a birthday gift for myself at my favorite jewelry store! Then I went to the new bookshop to check it out. I clocked in 6 different neighborhoods clocking in about 10 miles! The best thing about biking there is no parking meters!
Old 05-25-14, 01:30 PM
carfreeforme

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
went to wal-mart around 8:30..very nice hardly anyone on the streets..or in the parking lot(which is always dangerous)..took my Cruiser bike with my cargo trailer.
Old 05-25-14, 05:23 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Did my standard recreation ride up to the bluffs overlooking the Arkansas River, then down to Two Rivers Park. West along County Farm Road and finally winding back up the hill through Pleasant Valley Golf course.

Two Rivers Park was crowded, the city streets were not. At a house by the golf course, someone was having an enormous birthday party. In addition to a large patio full of barbecues, they had a food truck parked on the front lawn serving people. Dozens of cars parked along the street for several blocks.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-25-14, 11:06 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

I tried a new ride today, up into the bluffs above the Mississippi River on the Wisconsin side. One of the hills was a bit too tough for my current fitness level and equipment, so I did a bit of walking, but it was worth it - quiet country roads, cute farms, and amazing views of the hills and the river. After coming down from the bluffs, I got to ride a nice flat stretch along the river, and it felt like flying.

On the way back to town, I stopped at the store to get notebooks and sunscreen. After eight months of long sleeves, I forgot about the sun.
Old 05-26-14, 12:59 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by wipekitty
After eight months of long sleeves, I forgot about the sun.
I know. I rode to a county park today. It was the first weekend that the beach was open. The air was warm (80F!) but the water was ice cold. (Not too surprising, since it was covered with a foot of ice just a few weeks ago.) Kids were swimming, but no adults were brave enough. The trees are finally leafing out now and the world is gorgeous.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-26-14, 01:00 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Oh--saw my first turtle of the season!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-28-14, 02:22 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I rode to my dentist appointment yesterday: 15 miles of hills (not as steep as the ones on my commute, though) there, and somehow 18 miles home. Since she found a cavity, I have to go back next week. The weather was great yesterday and should be good next week too.

Today I'll just walk downtown to Ace Hardware to pick up some little washers and screws for my old Triumph. Bonneville, not bicycle. Hmm, I should get a Triumph bicycle too.
Old 05-28-14, 03:15 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by enigmaT120
Hmm, I should get a Triumph bicycle too.
Yes! Those English three speeds are overdue for a comeback. They're a great style of bike for today's commuter/carfree crowd.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-28-14, 06:56 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I walked to my mom's place (but she apparently was taking a nap). Not quite 1.25 miles round trip, I averaged 1.45 mph with my bad knee (tried to buckle on me 5 times). Still don't what I did to it, but I got to keep it elevated and iced down for the next week .
Old 05-28-14, 09:15 PM
jacoblighter
Jacob Lighter

Bikes: Huffy Holiday 1970s

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode my bike to and from my brothers house today. I'm home from college and my dad and brother live in a tiny little rural town with beautifully paved roads and sidewalks. It only takes me about ten minutes to get to my brothers house. The grocery store is also about 10 minutes away. Downtown is small and quaint and is bicycle friends. Pretty much everything I need is within walking or bicycling distance. The library is less than 5 minutes away on bike, as is the public swimming pool. I've only used my car a handful of times(to visit my sister a town over) since I've come back! I really wish the city my university is in was like this. I would never use my car. If I could have this type of infrastructure where I normall live I'd most likely sell the car altogether.

Last edited by jacoblighter; 05-30-14 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-28-14, 10:04 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
I'm on an out of town consulting trip. The job is about 1.5 km from the hotel. I took the free shuttle to work in the morning the last 3 days, because I'm not a morning person, and I wasn't the only passenger two of the days, and walked back along a MUP and a shoulder the first two days. Today after work I walked over to see a relative in a nursing home, and then back to the hotel (4 km). As I was walking along the MUP next to a busy road I approached another nursing home driveway and saw an SUV pull partway out of it, nosing into my path. The lady then stopped and started looking at a map or something else on her lap. I also noticed her glance at traffic to her left - away from me. I paused, thinking she might start to go, without seeing me approaching from the right, but she once again started looking at her lap so I started to pass in front of her on high alert, and of course she immediately started forward and I had to jump out of her way. I yelled, and she stopped again, looking completely startled and dismayed as if I had materialized from nowhere. "Look both ways" I yelled and then she drove away.
Old 05-28-14, 10:06 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Saw a beaver and some ducklings.
Old 05-28-14, 10:31 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by cooker
Saw a beaver and some ducklings.
I bet THEY didn't try to run you down!

Are you able to tell us where you are on your trip?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-28-14, 11:00 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I had happy hour for my volunteer group, so I biked downtown. It was about 1.5 miles away (on streets ranging from quiet to moderately busy) downhill on the way, uphill on the way home. And I got to take a plate of leftovers, that fit in my front mounted crate.

Taking the bus isn't ideal, so it is nice to bike over, more predictable!
Old 05-28-14, 11:18 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Went to buy a fan
Using a trailer is fun
Riding through the town.
Old 05-29-14, 07:34 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Roody
I bet THEY didn't try to run you down!

Are you able to tell us where you are on your trip?
Sault Ste Marie, Canadian side. Not a pedestrian town, except they do have a lovely 25 km (15 mile) hub trail that circles the city and goes through various parks and ravines and along the scenic waterfront. In a couple of places the nicer parts are linked by sections along the shoulder of the highway or other multilane streets, and unfortunately that's the part I had to use. Still, it was wild along one side.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
beaver.JPG (39.3 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by cooker; 05-29-14 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-29-14, 09:09 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not today, but over the Memorial Day weekend. Doing what I call "barefoot walks" with my dog (one of the three dogs that is). Saturday we walked downtown and back - about 7 miles total. Monday to a local fast food joint - about 4.5 miles.

Most of the walk is barefoot. The exception is one gravel driveway with some big rocks. The reason for the bare feet being that it feels better on the legs and posture, and I seem to walk at a better pace - not faster, but just more relaxed and natural. Oh, and the dog walks barefoot everywhere, even over the big rocks.
Old 05-29-14, 01:55 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
My dog used to get sore feet running with me up on the logging roads, if we went any distance over about 6 miles. I felt guilty because I had shoes and she didn't.
Old 05-29-14, 02:01 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by cooker
Sault Ste Marie, Canadian side. Not a pedestrian town, except they do have a lovely 25 km (15 mile) hub trail that circles the city and goes through various parks and ravines and along the scenic waterfront. In a couple of places the nicer parts are linked by sections along the shoulder of the highway or other multilane streets, and unfortunately that's the part I had to use. Still, it was wild along one side.
I love the Soo! My grandfather was from Pickford, MI, just a few miles south of the Soo. This is one of the most historic places in the Great Lakes, and also very beautiful.

If you get a chance to make a day trip, I highly recommend taking the Algoma Central Railway train to Agawa Canyon.

Agawa Canyon Tour Trains - Algoma Central Railway

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-29-14, 09:06 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Roody
I love the Soo! My grandfather was from Pickford, MI, just a few miles south of the Soo. This is one of the most historic places in the Great Lakes, and also very beautiful.

If you get a chance to make a day trip, I highly recommend taking the Algoma Central Railway train to Agawa Canyon.

Agawa Canyon Tour Trains - Algoma Central Railway
Thanks, I did it 30 years ago but it was a gloomy summer day, not a glorious autumn one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.