Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Whats the difference between various Lezyne floor pump modes? Pretty much nothing?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Whats the difference between various Lezyne floor pump modes? Pretty much nothing?

Old 10-20-15, 09:25 AM
mattkime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I'm shopping for a Lezyne floor pump and i'm confused by the variation in models. for the most part they all look the same. sure, some may have a different hose, head, or pressure meter otherwise they look the same. am i missing something? which one would you get and why?
Old 10-20-15, 10:19 AM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had the big stainless or aluminum one for several years. You're right- they're all close and it's hard to tell the difference. I picked the shiniest one at the store.
Old 10-20-15, 11:20 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
The laws of physics can't be violated regardless of who makes the pump.

The stroke and diameter of the piston determine how much volume you will realize with each stroke. A smaller diameter piston will be easier to pump but at the expense of volume. For high volume, low pressure mountain bike or cruiser tires, you'll probably be happier with a larger diameter pump. For high pressure road bike tires, a smaller diameter pump will top up your tires more easily.

I once had a real nice light weight plastic Zefel floor pump but it got broken too easily. For a floor pump I don't think weight matters very much so, to me, steel is real good. I'm using the same steel barreled Specialized floor pump that I've had for over 20 years.
Old 10-20-15, 12:50 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
I've got a Lezyene pump. It's called a floor drive or something. I can't remember. Has a very nice & accurate pressure gauge. Got it on Amazon. Amazon described several models on same page but, I couldn't tell the difference between them. Just ordered the least expensive one. It turned out to be red with a neat wooden handle. Has a reversable chuck to handle Schrader or Presta valves. Worth the extra price. Been going strong for about 4 years now.
Old 10-20-15, 01:19 PM
Yellowbeard

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Materials.

Short answer: They all work equally well, but the cheapest (Sport) has a couple plastic parts that are more likely to fail. Everything above Sport has basically no plastic. Everything above Steel has an extra-large pressure gauge, which is nice but unnecessary. The most expensive (CNC) has a braided hose, which is great but not worth all the extra money. If you ever wore out the rubber hose you could buy a braided replacement for less anyway.

I love Lezyne stuff, but their product lines are unnecessarily tedious to figure out.
From cheapest to best:

The Sport Drives have steel barrels (fine), plastic hose fittings (less good), wood handles (doesn't matter) and plastic bases (probably fine, but not ideal).

Steel Drives upgrade the hose fittings and base from plastic to metal, which is probably well worth it to get the best life out of the hose and dissipate heat.

Classic Drive is basically a Steel Drive with a bigger pressure gauge.

Alloy Drive has the big gauge and has an aluminum barrel instead of steel, which looks nice but offers no practical benefit, and an aluminum bit on the handle, which is also pointless. It's shinier than the steel ones.

CNC Drive adds more aluminum to the handle (still pointless) and weighs less (who cares, it's a shop pump) and a braided hose, which will probably last a lot longer than the plain rubber ones.

They all have the same pressure capability and use the same chucks. I have an Alloy, but only because my shop didn't sell the Classic or the Steel and I didn't want the plastic on the Sport.

Get a Steel, or if you want the bigger gauge get a Classic.

Last edited by Yellowbeard; 10-20-15 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Forum ate my formatting. I don't wall-of-text
Old 10-20-15, 05:08 PM
3gun

Bikes: ROUBAIX SL4 ELITE DISC

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the steel, works great. I really like the screw on chuck.
Old 10-20-15, 07:11 PM
Yellowbeard

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The screw-on chucks are awesome, although it's hilarious reading negative reviews from people who couldn't figure out how to use them.
Old 10-21-15, 08:24 AM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard
Materials.

Short answer: They all work equally well, but the cheapest (Sport) has a couple plastic parts that are more likely to fail. Everything above Sport has basically no plastic. Everything above Steel has an extra-large pressure gauge, which is nice but unnecessary. The most expensive (CNC) has a braided hose, which is great but not worth all the extra money. If you ever wore out the rubber hose you could buy a braided replacement for less anyway.

I love Lezyne stuff, but their product lines are unnecessarily tedious to figure out.
From cheapest to best:

The Sport Drives have steel barrels (fine), plastic hose fittings (less good), wood handles (doesn't matter) and plastic bases (probably fine, but not ideal).

Steel Drives upgrade the hose fittings and base from plastic to metal, which is probably well worth it to get the best life out of the hose and dissipate heat.

Classic Drive is basically a Steel Drive with a bigger pressure gauge.

Alloy Drive has the big gauge and has an aluminum barrel instead of steel, which looks nice but offers no practical benefit, and an aluminum bit on the handle, which is also pointless. It's shinier than the steel ones.

CNC Drive adds more aluminum to the handle (still pointless) and weighs less (who cares, it's a shop pump) and a braided hose, which will probably last a lot longer than the plain rubber ones.

They all have the same pressure capability and use the same chucks. I have an Alloy, but only because my shop didn't sell the Classic or the Steel and I didn't want the plastic on the Sport.

Get a Steel, or if you want the bigger gauge get a Classic.
+1

Excellent summary of the Lezyne floor pumps. The only thing I have to add is the Travel Drives which are compact (for travel, duh). I think there are two models there as well: the Travel Drive with a wooden handle, and a CNC Travel Drive with an aluminum handle. Not sure about the base or the hose.