Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bikepacking style handlebard bag for drops?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-11-17, 05:55 PM
derath

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

As the title suggests, I have been looking for a good option for a rollbag "bikepacking" style handlebar bag. Most of the bags I've seen (Revelate etc) seem geared for straight handlebars. Even Revelate has an article about how to make it work even though they readily admit theirs is designed for a wider space.

Any ideas?
Old 07-11-17, 08:11 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Maybe Apidura?
Their regular size handlebar pack is 36 cm when not expanded. That would fit nicely between a 42 cm bar.

-tim-
Old 07-11-17, 08:27 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Handel-Bard

Old 07-11-17, 08:28 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
You could try to make your own.

I have not tried to make one so I have no idea if these instructions are easy to follow or not.
How to make your own DIY handlebar roll harness | Bicycle Times Magazine

I assume you could find a good compression stuff sack that would work well and fit with the harness they describe.

If you use drop bars with brifters, you may need to be careful to make sure you have the clearance needed for shifting. In the attached photo, you can see my handlebar bag and my shifter clearance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP2517.jpg (90.8 KB, 202 views)
Old 07-11-17, 09:56 PM
derath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@TimothyH- thanks. I hadn't really looked much at Apidura since they are AUS based and didn't seem to have much of a US presence. Not that I'm against buying overseas, but it can make repairs or returns more tricky.

@BigAura- thanks for reminding me I should never post on my phone!

@Tourist in MSN- Actually that gave me the idea to do some of both. I could just get the Revelate Designs Harness or one similar and just find a dry bag that fits (duh!).

Thanks all.
Old 07-11-17, 10:07 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I use a Revelate Designs harness with drop bars, along with a dry bag from S2S. Two compression sacks inside greatly reduce the width. I'd post a picture, but Photobucket wants $400 a year.
Old 07-11-17, 10:10 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by derath
@TimothyH- thanks. I hadn't really looked much at Apidura since they are AUS based and didn't seem to have much of a US presence. Not that I'm against buying overseas, but it can make repairs or returns more tricky.
Apidura is UK, not AUS. Product is shipped from near London.

Not trying to convince you but just relaying my experience. I have purchased two pieces from them. Delivery was fast, within four days to the Atlanta suburbs.

-Tim-
Old 07-11-17, 10:35 PM
derath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Apidura is UK, not AUS. Product is shipped from near London.

Not trying to convince you but just relaying my experience. I have purchased two pieces from them. Delivery was fast, within four days to the Atlanta suburbs.

-Tim-
Oh so they are, I'm making all kinds of mistakes in my thread. Been watching too many videos and almost all of the Australian vids I saw were heavy apidura so made a bad assumption. Their stuff is definitely beautiful in terms of design and workmanship.
Old 07-11-17, 10:37 PM
derath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I use a Revelate Designs harness with drop bars, along with a dry bag from S2S. Two compression sacks inside greatly reduce the width. I'd post a picture, but Photobucket wants $400 a year.

Given your location we are practically neighbors .

Oh and Imgur.com is free (I use it for all of my forum picture posting).
Old 07-11-17, 10:42 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I just picked up a cheap front rack from nashbar that fits on my canti studs; I figure I can mount a decent sized dry bag on the rack.

Nashbar Sixer Front Rack
Old 07-11-17, 11:02 PM
derath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I just picked up a cheap front rack from nashbar that fits on my canti studs; I figure I can mount a decent sized dry bag on the rack.

Nashbar Sixer Front Rack
pretty cool. unfortunately with disk brakes my fork doesn't have the necessary studs.
Old 07-12-17, 03:36 AM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Here's a bag which is great quality and is narrow allowing it to fit between the cables on drops. Holds quite a bit too.

https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ort...f8YaAhgx8P8HAQ
Old 07-12-17, 05:22 AM
gerryl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Arkel have or will soon have exactly what you are looking for.
Old 07-12-17, 06:07 AM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't have pictures but when I was just carrying a sleeping bag or clothing I would velcro a Sea to Summit E-Vent bag to the handlebars. I purchased a butt ugly Orlieb handlebar bag, ProE Ultimate 6E, because of it's dynamo wiring connections and have found it to be good enough to replace the e-vent on the handlebars. (in my case the ability to access stuff while riding trumps the ugliness of the bag). I've since relocated the E-Vent to my rear rack... The upside of using a dry bag is that it can be used for more than just bicycling. The downside is that it isn't pushed out from the handlebars if you like riding in the flats which was not a problem for me as I ride hoods or drops.

Last edited by edthesped; 11-04-17 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-12-17, 06:36 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Maybe something interesting is posted at Handlebar Bags Archives - BIKEPACKING.com

-Tim-
Old 07-12-17, 09:42 AM
Mtroup

Bikes: Jones Plus, Tern Verge Tour

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen several drop-bar bikepackers using the Salsa Anything Cradle up front recently. I really like that it sits off your bars and avoids cabling problems.

https://salsacycles.com/components/category/bags_frame_packs/exp_series_anything_cradle_plus_dry_bag
Old 07-12-17, 12:28 PM
yonderb0y

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Revelate harness is plenty narrow to fit between drops, and can hold all sorts of different shapes & sizes - you just need to find a drybag or stuffsack with the right dimensions so it fits both between the drops and doesn't rub your front tire. I use one of these, and can fit my sleeping bag/pad/bulky pillow comfortably between the drops:

Ultra-Sil ® Compression Dry Sack | Sea to Summit

Add the "pocket" that attaches to the front, and there's storage for days. My tent goes in mine!

Last edited by yonderb0y; 07-12-17 at 12:43 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 07-12-17, 01:20 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by yonderb0y

These are super nice setups.

Sorry to hijack the OP's thread but maybe you could say something about how the Apidura bags compare to the Revelate bags?

-Tim-
Old 07-12-17, 01:20 PM
derath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Revelate harness is plenty narrow to fit between drops, and can hold all sorts of different shapes & sizes - you just need to find a drybag or stuffsack with the right dimensions so it fits both between the drops and doesn't rub your front tire. I use one of these, and can fit my sleeping bag/pad/bulky pillow comfortably between the drops:

Ultra-Sil ® Compression Dry Sack | Sea to Summit

Add the "pocket" that attaches to the front, and there's storage for days. My tent goes in mine!
yonderb0y, THANKS! The pictures are perfect. Sold. That looks to be the same dimension cockpit as mine so would work fine. I have about 12 in from the wheel to the stem.

And I'm glad to see it doesn't interfere with the out front garmin mount. I was worried I'd have to move it back to the stem.
Old 07-12-17, 01:22 PM
derath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry to hijack the OP's thread but maybe you could say something about how the Apidura bags compare to the Revelate bags?

-Tim-
Hijack away. I'm still building out the rest of my bag setup as well.
Old 07-14-17, 11:25 AM
yonderb0y

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by derath
yonderb0y, THANKS! The pictures are perfect. Sold. That looks to be the same dimension cockpit as mine so would work fine. I have about 12 in from the wheel to the stem.

And I'm glad to see it doesn't interfere with the out front garmin mount. I was worried I'd have to move it back to the stem.
Glad I could help - it was a bunch of trial & error to figure it all out The Garmin fits just right! BTW - it looks like there's a new Pocket design that might not hold as much. Maybe see if you can find the older-style large one, that's what's in my pics.

-Tim-
Honestly, aside from the shapes of the zipper pulls, I'd be hard-pressed to tell them apart in the dark. They're both made from the same material, and have essentially the same design. They're both great products, and we've been very happy with them. Which color do you like? The only difference, which applies to this thread specifically, is that Apidura doesn't make a harness as far as I know - just the all-in-one bag. That doesn't seem to work as well as the harness/compression bag for fitting between drops, because there's no way to pull it tight horizontally.
Old 07-14-17, 02:11 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Honestly, aside from the shapes of the zipper pulls, I'd be hard-pressed to tell them apart in the dark. They're both made from the same material, and have essentially the same design. They're both great products, and we've been very happy with them. Which color do you like? The only difference, which applies to this thread specifically, is that Apidura doesn't make a harness as far as I know - just the all-in-one bag. That doesn't seem to work as well as the harness/compression bag for fitting between drops, because there's no way to pull it tight horizontally.

Thanks. Great information. Really appreciate it.

And since you asked, I'm partial to the gray.

-Tim-
Old 07-17-17, 11:08 AM
yonderb0y

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice!