Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Kickstand; Yes or No?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Kickstand; Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-17, 02:16 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Kickstands. Oy!
Old 08-10-17, 02:21 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Well I'm willing to go on record to say that yes, I have a kickstand and I love it. When I first got my bike, I leaned it against things and was lucky if it didn't fall over or slide down whatever it was leaning against. After scuffing the paint in a couple spots I decided right then & there to get a kickstand. I searched Amazon but wasn't impressed with what I saw, but stopped into the LBS and walked out with a Greenfield Stabilizer. I have used it ever since and absolutely love it. I don't have to worry about finding something to lean my bike against, especially in a group ride where everyone else has already chosen the trees & walls for their bikes.

The mount clamps to the left seat stay and chain stay, two places so it doesn't put strain on just one spot. The stand itself folds back along the rear wheel when not in use. And it's sturdy enough with a wide enough foot that you don't have to worry about it sinking into soft ground.

And no, I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks of it. It's not their bike.
Old 08-10-17, 03:48 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
every time i get off my bike.

Yes, because the weight is inconsequential, and if i didn't have it, i couldn't use it.

I could, but i rather choose where i park, rather than search for a suitable spot that isn't inappropriate, or likely to fall or be knocked over.

When one uses a bicycle as a vehicle, it's preferable to have it standing upright on its own when loading and unloading it with whatever one is carrying.
^ +1,000,000
Old 08-10-17, 05:38 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
If I didn't care about getting my frame scratched, then my desire for a kickstand would diminish greatly.

At a supermarket I frequent and in one of the spots where I park my bike in the basement at my work, there is sloping ground where the bike racks are, so without something like a kickstand, scratching up your frame is guaranteed.

My kickstand was a godsend the other night on my bike when I was changing handgrips and installing pedals, not everyone has a workstand or wants to use it for everything.

People shouldn't equate bad experiences with very cheap and nasty kickstands, to those kickstands that had a bit of effort put into their design and manufacture.

Oh and yes, No kickstands for carbon framed bikes or your expensive roadie, it is a strawman to bring those kind of examples up.
Old 08-10-17, 05:48 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by manapua_man
I have hydros on most of my bikes, so a hair band (I think that's what they're called) or larger rubber band puts out enough pressure to keep the wheels from rolling freely. Works with either my mtb or road setups too.
What I like about tire tubing is they are just tight enough to stay put on the handlebar when riding but not too tight to be hard to pull over the brake handle.
Old 08-10-17, 06:00 PM
SylvainG

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Well I'm willing to go on record to say that yes, I have a kickstand and I love it. When I first got my bike, I leaned it against things and was lucky if it didn't fall over or slide down whatever it was leaning against. After scuffing the paint in a couple spots I decided right then & there to get a kickstand. I searched Amazon but wasn't impressed with what I saw, but stopped into the LBS and walked out with a Greenfield Stabilizer. I have used it ever since and absolutely love it. I don't have to worry about finding something to lean my bike against, especially in a group ride where everyone else has already chosen the trees & walls for their bikes.

The mount clamps to the left seat stay and chain stay, two places so it doesn't put strain on just one spot. The stand itself folds back along the rear wheel when not in use. And it's sturdy enough with a wide enough foot that you don't have to worry about it sinking into soft ground.

And no, I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks of it. It's not their bike.
I bought that exact stand at MEC for my old Schwinn. My old kickstand from 1990 was wobbling too much. Very sturdy, more sturdy than the one I bought for my CX bike but its weight put me off. I went with a Upstand stand which weights just 40 grams.
Old 08-10-17, 06:38 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
I bought that exact stand at MEC for my old Schwinn. My old kickstand from 1990 was wobbling too much. Very sturdy, more sturdy than the one I bought for my CX bike but its weight put me off. I went with a Upstand stand which weights just 40 grams.
The weight doesn't bother me. I find the convenience of just flipping the stand up or down is a lot easier than having to pull out a stand and physically attach it to the back of the bike. Plus it's always attached so I have no worries about losing it or finding a place to store it while riding.
Old 08-10-17, 06:44 PM
SylvainG

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
The weight doesn't bother me. I find the convenience of just flipping the stand up or down is a lot easier than having to pull out a stand and physically attach it to the back of the bike. Plus it's always attached so I have no worries about losing it or finding a place to store it while riding.
It comes with its own holder that fits under a bottle holder. My bag when I commute is already at least 9 lb when full and then add the weight of the rack, fenders, tool set, pump, water bottle, my bike was heavy enough so a light stand made sense to me. Like you said, it's our bike so we decide what works best for us
Old 08-10-17, 06:58 PM
tramptrade 
Some Canuck on a Bike

Bikes: Cannondale, Brodie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes and no for me.
For the off-road / trail bike, NO.
For the utility / heavy hauler, definitely YES. In fact for this one I had to make a stepped block for the kickstand to rest on as my BB is higher than the stand can handle. I often use a velcro strap as a parking brake with this setup.

I too could not care less what anybody else thinks of my kickstand. It works for me and that's that.
Old 08-10-17, 08:16 PM
Cycleish

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love kickstands. Very useful!
Old 08-12-17, 05:53 PM
Romyan
Just a dumb freshie

Bikes: Brown Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Allez Double Steel, and Dahon Speed P8

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes in my opinion.
Old 08-12-17, 11:57 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I always have a "cargo" trailer (actually, a repurposed kiddy hauler) connected to my bike. A kickstand is a must for me.
Bike racks are few and far between here, and with a trailer, most are not really useable. At the library, for example, the trailer would block the sidewalk and stick into the parking lot, as well.
I've been car free since 1995.
Old 08-13-17, 02:16 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
This has been one of the best kickstands I have used, mounts to the rear axle, doesn't rattle, not too heavy, and its steel.

Replacements cost less than 1$.

Last edited by SHBR; 08-13-17 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-13-17, 07:55 AM
prq9218

Bikes: Giant Roam 2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found my kickstands to be very convenient. Have never had an issue w/them failing or deploying without me putting them down.
Old 08-13-17, 08:16 AM
1911bg

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the kickstand I installed on my Trek DS2.When I see bike laying on the ground it looks like some spoiled kid just got off and dropped it.I saw many do it when I was a kid and still see them do it today.
Old 08-13-17, 04:15 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
With kickstand:

- Ride to Albert Heijn
- Get off the bike at the front entrance
- Put the kickstand down, lock rear wheel
- Shop

Without kickstand:

- Ride to Albert Heijn
- The bike racks are full of dutch grandma bikes, so go to other side of the building and rest the bike against the wall
- Walk away, hear bike roll slightly downhill and then fall over
- shop

Kickstand, please
Old 08-13-17, 10:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
The only kickstand I semi liked was the one on the Scott SUBs from a few years ago. They were two bolt and tucked neatly under the non-drive chain stay. Of course when they added the fenders in 2014-15?? The mounts became unusable which sucked.

If more bikes would adopt the scott SUB kickstand I might change my tune up more because the standard one bolt greenfield garbage and the heavy clunky stick way out rear mount ones just aren't good. The two leg Pletscher would be an ok option if not so heavy and also one bolt.
Old 08-13-17, 10:42 PM
Robert P

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use it all the time. As an example, if I go out for an exercise ride where I combine biking with calisthenics, I'll use the bike tire as a support while stretching. I'll hang the helmet on the handlebar, put my glasses in the helmet, the fanny pack on the seat and do jumping jacks, squat-thrusts, pushups next to the bike. If I want to stop and stretch, or adjust something, kickstand goes out bike is right there upright and convenient to access. If I bike to the gym, it keeps the weight of the bike off the paint when locking it to the bike rack.
Old 08-15-17, 07:08 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
With kickstand:

- Ride to Albert Heijn
- Put the kickstand down, lock rear wheel
- Shop

Without kickstand:

- Ride to Albert Heijn
- The bike racks are full of dutch grandma bikes, so go to other side of the building and rest the bike against the wall
- Walk away, hear bike roll slightly downhill and then fall over
- shop

Kickstand, please
Old 08-15-17, 08:32 PM
Zombie Woof

Bikes: Colin Liang, Specialized Expedition

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Add me to the no kickstand list please.
Old 08-16-17, 06:10 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Zombie Woof
Add me to the no kickstand list please.
What kind of bike do you have?
Old 08-16-17, 06:44 AM
KenR

Bikes: 2017 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2016 Trek 7.4FX hybrid

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trek hybrids are set up for kickstands, so there shouldn't be any damage to tubes. Mine has one.
Old 08-17-17, 06:41 PM
Zombie Woof

Bikes: Colin Liang, Specialized Expedition

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
What kind of bike do you have?
I have 2:
A 04 or 05 Specialized Expedition,which I purchased new (not exactly sure on the date).
And a Colin Liang. So far all I've been able to ascertain, is that it was mostly built during the Tucson years. I purchased it through a Craig's list ad. It was a basket case, a frame, and a box of parts.

It's still a work in progress, but this is what it currently looks like:

The original craigs list photos are HERE along with a couple of new ones, and a couple of the Campy hubs i used to rebuild the wheels.

Last edited by Zombie Woof; 08-17-17 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-22-17, 11:43 AM
DynoD500_SR20-d
I ride to clear my mind

Bikes: Dyno D500-Ribble Endurance AL (2019) Tigara

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
This is my solution. A BIKEHAND Rear Hub Mount Bike Bicycle Stand Storage Rack andThe Grand Stand Single Bike Floor Stand. Nor Wind Nor Earhquake can make my bike fall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3280-5.jpg (99.8 KB, 31 views)
IMG_3270-2.jpg (98.1 KB, 30 views)
IMG_3279-4.jpg (99.1 KB, 31 views)