Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I HATE coaster brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I HATE coaster brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-17, 03:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
I HATE coaster brakes

I only own one bike with them, namely the Dahon folder I use as my "get around" bike. If I had a choice, it would be a single speed freewheel with 2 caliper brakes, but it was free and this beggar doesn't choose.

I keep cursing the lack of a front brake, but the bike doesn't see all that much use, so I'm too lazy to source a brake with the right reach.

Among my beefs against coaster brakes, is the reality that stopping distance without a front brake is outrageously long.

But my real objection is about stopping and starting. You have to orient the pedals to stop, stopping with the rear foot and putting the forward foot to the ground. That means you then have to switch feet to start off.

This isn't a big deal except to someone who's been riding with freewheels for 50+ years, and I've been trying to tweak the system by stopping and quickly putting the rear foot to the ground before I fall. Unfortunately I live in a hilly area, and rarely get to stop on the level. So, today, I gave it another shot, but when I released the brake to plant the foot, the bike rolled and sure enough I fell causing injury to my pride, along with some small loss of skin in places that have had this happen all too often.

As I said, I hate coaster brakes, and when I wake up tomorrow with bloodstained sheets, I'll have another reason to hate them

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-21-17 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-21-17, 04:18 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Ha ha. I hear ya. Not a big fan myself. I only have one bike with a coaster brake. It's a Sturmey Archer S2C, and while the brake is adequate on the street, I have almost gotten myself in trouble with it on some steep off road grades.
I will fit a front brake to it one of these days, and certainly before I take it down any more big hills.
Old 08-21-17, 04:27 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I haven't ridden a coaster brake bike in 30 years. Now I'm curious to try it! (probably will encounter the same results as you)
Old 08-21-17, 05:07 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I don't like them either. Only plus is clean, no-cables looks.
Old 08-21-17, 06:29 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
My first "mine only " (after the shared 20" balloon tired Schwinn) was an old balloon tired LaSalle, that my dad paid $2 for on the way home from the train. I put tires (knobbies because they were cool) and tubes on it and rode it all over, for about 4 years. Then got a new Schwinn American (middleweight), in brand new shiny red, after saving lawn mowing money for 2 years. Cost me $62. Put a knobbie on the back of that one too, as soon as the back tire wore out!

Kept the LaSalle for my paper route bike............ and the Schwinn was my sport bike until I went in the Army! After the Army, came marriage, and a pair of Schwinn Suburbans, 5 speeds, WOW!

They both had coaster brakes, and I never knew anything was wrong with them! Bikes are what set me free!

Wish I had them both, right now!
Old 08-21-17, 06:45 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Install clipless pedals. That way, if you're manly enough, you can brake by just pulling up/reverse if you have to, with either foot no matter where it is.
Old 08-21-17, 07:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
I love rock and roll. So put another dime in the coaster brake.

"and when I wake up tomorrow with bloodstained sheets,"

Reminds me of reading "The Godafther." There was a mention of that after Michael's wedding in Sicily.
Old 08-21-17, 10:19 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I had a very brief love affair with coaster brakes, coinciding with my very brief love affair with old Schwinn cruisers and overlapping with my much longer (and still ongoing) love affair with fixed gear bicycles modified for road use. I thought it might be fun to build up a single speed road bike with a coaster brake, thus retaining the clean aesthetic of a brakeless wonder but without the safety concerns. I went as far as buying a cheap coaster hub, with the goal of building up a wheel. This did not happen.

My love affair passed when I realized that coaster brakes are not much fun: same foot positioning problems while stopping as a fixed gear, but with the added difficulty of needing pressure on the pedals to keep the thing stopped. I still have a '67 Schwinn Breeze with a coaster brake, but I mainly keep it around as a loaner.

If anyone is in need of a coaster hub that weighs probably 50 lbs, let me know.
Old 08-22-17, 06:22 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Coaster brakes defined normal for me while growing up in the late 1960s and early 1970s, because mom wasn't into wasting her money on those temperamental geared bikes with their skinny tires and wires all over the place. Back then, my Schwinn Typhoon coaster brakes actually worked better than any of my friends' rim brakes. I don't remember rim brakes being good at all back in the day.

Fast-forward to last week, and I almost face-planted while giving my daughter's bike a quick ride around the parking lot. Stood up to coast and must have shifted my foot backward w/o even thinking. Probably what saved me was my foot lifting back up as my weight shifted forward. The irony is that my intent on that little ride was to test out the front handbrake that I had just put on for my daughter.
Old 08-22-17, 07:14 AM
sfh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I haven't ridden a coaster brake bike in 30 years. Now I'm curious to try it! (probably will encounter the same results as you)

This summer, I was in Amsterdam for a few weeks and rode a coaster brake bike for the first time in decades. Be careful if you give it a try. If you are one (like me) who starts the dismount while slowing to a stop, that gets interesting really fast with coaster brakes!
Old 08-22-17, 07:25 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I had a coaster bike, a Schwinn Collegiate, it also had a front brake. I rarely used the coaster.

But yeah, stopping and starting was a PITA. It was pretty much relegated to tooling around the apartment complex duty. Only other time I've use them (after the age of seven or so) was on rentals, never a fan.
Old 08-22-17, 07:33 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
"and when I wake up tomorrow with bloodstained sheets,"

Reminds me of reading "The Godafther." There was a mention of that after Michael's wedding in Sicily.
And in the film, Woltz - but "bloodstained" would be an understatement in his case...
Old 08-22-17, 08:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Band brakes Can combine the worst aspects of marginal quality and poor operation.

One of the customers took 1 of the shop's rental bikes, a coaster brake beach cruiser...typically used by the river shore, bike path

up to the 'column' highest vista point - park , in town and smoked the 10 dollar chinese hub..

You think about quality collapse in comparison with the New departure, 'repack' hubs , on old mount Tam..

that were not single, though abused use, disposables.

Old 08-22-17, 08:57 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
All of you are, simply not worthy
Old 08-22-17, 09:14 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Band brakes Can combine the worst aspects of marginal quality and poor operation.

One of the customers took 1 of the shop's rental bikes, a coaster brake beach cruiser...typically used by the river shore, bike path

up to the 'column' highest vista point - park , in town and smoked the 10 dollar chinese hub..

You think about quality collapse in comparison with the New departure, 'repack' hubs , on old mount Tam..

that were not single, though abused use, disposables.

I'm pretty sure most coaster brakes aren't band brakes... right? Most have shoes that get pushed out against a cylinder. Where as a band brake (if I recall correctly) is simply a band wrapped around a cylinder and to brake you tighten the band. And aren't band brakes used on mopeds? I would imagine if they're good for mopeds they'd be fine for bikes.

Anyway, seriously, you guys are all a bunch of wusses. Coaster brakes are fine. They allow no handed operation of the bike. A 2 speed kick shift with a coaster brake is even better. You can shift AND stop with just your feet. Yes, it's mildly annoying that you have to position your feet when you stop. The way to get around that is to ride very slowly (slow down first with the brake, then ride slowly enough that you don't need a brake to stop) when you approach the stop then simply put your foot out when your forward foot is in the right position. It takes a bit of practice, but it's really not that bad. Not any worse than practicing track standing. Would I take one down the side of a mountain? No, that's not what they're made for, but otherwise they're fine.
Old 08-22-17, 09:19 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
P.s. It's so flat around here...coaster gets it done. If I live in hilly, then my opinion might be different.
In flat-ish areas I think they can work well. I had no trouble growing up in Detroit w/a coaster brake.

Geometry of the bike can help too. An upright seating position can help keep your weight over the rear tire.
Old 08-22-17, 09:21 AM
Crashola

Bikes: Old Raleigh Super Course Marin Pine Mountain Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coaster brakes on a 70's banana bike in the rural US were the bomb. Locking up that rear wheel and doing a hockey stop was a blast and looked cool as hell. Especially on gravel!
Old 08-22-17, 09:22 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I haven't ridden a coaster brake bike in 30 years.
Same here, probably mid-80's when I got out of junior high school and abandoned my banana seat Western Flyer bike for a Schwinn 10-speed.

My son, though, likes his coaster brake and when we were shopping for a new bike for him, he didn't want one with a front hand brake. I think he was afraid of flipping over, but I was hoping he'd learn how to use hand brakes.
Old 08-22-17, 10:23 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
I LOVE my coaster brake bikes.

Stopping on hills is never a problem. I dismount once stopped, no need to continue applying the brakes. Proper re-start foot position is already established.

Positioning my feet and pedals for my re-start is effortless. I don't even think about it, my feet are just programmed to do it before I come to a stop.

I can apply the brakes with either foot. Left foot for right turns and vice versa.

I can apply the brakes at any crank position other than 12:00.

My coaster brake bikes are stealthy silent when coasting. I like that. The swarm of insect noise is so passe. I have a bell if I need to announce my presence.

Far less coasting drag than all those nasty pawls too.

My coaster brakes don't care if it rains, they still function at 100% of their ability.

I never need to adjust toe in or lube or adjust caliper pivots.

My coaster brakes don't destroy the sidewalls of my expensive rims. My black rims remain black. My polished rims retain their mirror polish and aren't covered with brake dust.

The pads never drag on the rotors and I never need to bleed them.

My coaster brake hubs are lighter than an expensive track hub + freewheel + caliper + lever + cable.

With an OLD of 110mms, my coaster brake rear wheels create far less air drag than an obese roadie or disc hub.

Thank you Shimano.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 08-22-17 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-22-17, 10:37 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I tried one over the last year or so. My reflexes weren't right for it, and I got injured.

The hub was a Shimano 3-speed, so at least its quality was not in question.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-22-17, 10:40 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Work on your foot callouses and Fred Flinstone braking.
Old 08-22-17, 11:07 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

I wish they make 120 and 130mm coaster hub.
Makes conversion much easier and cleaner.
Option 1. Free. Cold set the frame if it's steel. Doesn't get any more precise and sanitary than that.

option 2. Almost free. Capture a 5 or 10mm axle spacer (or stacked washers) between each cone and it's lock nut. Stays put, damn near invisible.
Old 08-22-17, 11:29 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Crashola
Coaster brakes on a 70's banana bike in the rural US were the bomb. Locking up that rear wheel and doing a hockey stop was a blast and looked cool as hell. Especially on gravel!
There was that one time my grade school buddy and I did "hockey stops" on a wet, grassy ball field. We'd pedal until out hearts were about to burst and then slid sideways for what seemed like miles!
Old 08-22-17, 11:29 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

1. Bending a frame beyond the yield point. I know people do it sucessfully...I just don't feel warm and fuzzy about it.
Metallurgists and frame builders tell me it's 100% safe. I'm warm and fuzzy with it.

2. Besides look ridiculous with so much spacers...the torque-arm doesn't line up with the chain-stay.
For every bike I build I remove the reaction arm and custom bend to exactly match the position and angle of that specific chain stay. I do that so that so that it is centered and the clamp lines up perfectly. I do that even if I don't use spacers.

Do these "Look ridiculous"? 8mms on one and 10mms on the other. Which one is which?

Old 08-22-17, 11:41 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

There was that one time my grade school buddy and I did "hockey stops" on a wet, grassy ball field. We'd pedal until out hearts were about to burst and then slid sideways for what seemed like miles!
Another luxurious location to play drifting games is the smooth red dirt on a baseball diamond.